McGizmo LS20 Modded By DaFABRICATA with Neutral XPG

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you review the LS20? Well, I don't. JS did an amazing review HERE in 2009, and BigHonu did an outstanding review HERE in 2008. I don't have anything to add to these stellar reviews. And if you know me, you know that I never met a McGizmo that I didn't like. Don has the gift of creating amazing tools, battleship tough, beautiful to look at, full of utility, and pleasing to own.

But time and technology do march on. Fortunately for all of us, there are many, many gifted individuals who enjoy and engage in the fine art of modifying these lights. One such individual is one of CPFs finest citizens, DaFABRICATA. Thank goodness that "DaFAB", as he is affectionately known, likes "DaFabbin' s*it".

Recently I was fortunate to acquire TWO LS20s....the plan was to find one, but a second that was just too enticing became available so I picked it up, too. But all along, my intent was to send an LS20 to DaFAB so that he could repeat the magic he did on his own - drop in an R4 XPG.

It's important to trust the person who is modding your expensive 'toy', and like so many of you, I trust Tim totally. He modded a 007 for me and did an outstanding job. The LS20 mod was no less amazing.

So here for your enjoyment are some photos of my new toy. You've seen the business end of a stock LS20:
IMG_2953.jpg

Here's how it looks after Tim carefully installs the new emitter.
(I'll update this photo later with a better, closer shot)
P1020646.jpg

But this is what you REALLY want to see, right? Beam Shots!

Set this up – the scenery you are looking at is the front 'yard' of our beach place on the Potomac River in Southern Maryland. Grass gives way to sand, scrappy bushes and trees cling to the soil until it meets the brackish Potomac River. Right at the point where the sand rises up (caused by multiple hurricanes through the years – each one seems to move a bit more sand from the Virginia side to the Maryland side of the river) I placed a piece of red reflective material, sent to me by my friend and outstanding CPF citizen, Coloradogps. I stepped off an approximate distance of 75 feet. Out another 75 feet is a bush that you really can't see in the photos – and in the bush I placed a yellow reflector.

I took 52 photos of beamshots tonight – every light I own – but for this test I will show only a Haiku XPG, stock LS20, and the modded LS20.

Incidentally, if you'd like to see the photos in higher resolution, visit HERE

Here's the view in daylight - you can see the bush in the center of the image:
IMG_3033.jpg

It was dark - a few lights from docks and the bridge to St. Georges Island in the distance....
IMG_3037.jpg

Here's a Haiku XPG on HI
IMG_3060.jpg

A stock LS20 on 'high'
IMG_3065.jpg

And the DaFAB mod on high
IMG_3067.jpg

A side by side collage of the two
beach%20beam%20shots%209-3-2010.jpg

The exposure wasn't quite long enough - there may be a re-do posted after tonight. Regardless, the bump from 80 to 120 lumen and the nice, neutral tint show a HUGE difference!! (Next, I need to let Fyrstormer perform his Centauri mod with a 750mA driver:devil:)

And yes, the camera settings are identical.
beach%20beam%20shots%209-3-20101.jpg

a8e3fff0c6dfb873631955358a6be5b3.gif

So as you can clearly see, Tim took an amazing light and gave it new life - made it OUTSTANDING. Although I will leave it to Tim to quote his mod prices, I can tell you for certain that it is a bargain!

Thanks, DaFAB! Please keep DaFabbin' s*it!! :twothumbs

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim is the man for sure! The mod looks worth at least double what he likely charges. ;) The photos definitely illustrate how much better the tint is as well as the overall bump in brightness. Good job Dan! How about some eye candy shots of the LS20 in general? :grin2:

Great review, Dan! The LS 20 is one of my top two lights of all time! I have one sitting here with me as I type this - a beautiful mod itself, though from the Milk Man. :thumbsup: I will post some pics later in the week. Thanks for your time and effort on this!

Mettee

Enlightened
Outstanding mod, I am really becoming a fan of the neutral R4 XPGs. You guys make me jealous with all your awesome lights.

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,
Excellent review and great pictures, :twothumbsthe LS20 is my favorite Mcgizmo and EDC,I like to keep my Mcgizmos stock but that might change.
it appears to me that the upgraded LS20 is almost as bright as the Haiku although not as floody.

SFfanman

Enlightened
The Pinnacle of Beauty makes its way into the future. Great review Dan! Some mods are just for fun while others really enhance the capabilities of a light and in this case I believe it is the latter. Now, if there is anyone brave enough to mess with the Nichias and turn them from cool to warm, and possibly bump up the amperes in the process (or not), this light could go from awesome, to amazing, to THEE light. :drool: I always thought that the LS20 was one of those lights similiar to the D10 in that if it ever hit the mainstream market, the brick-and-morter stores, at a relevant low price (possibly in coated natural aluminum or other), it has the potential to sell in mass quantities. Its beauty and its simplistic features are timeless.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan, I really can't thank you enough for the kind words!:bow::grouphug:
Feedback like that really helps inspire confidence when working on these lights!:wave:
I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the LS20 so much!
Such a beautiful light and incredibly useful!

Your pictures are absolutely amazing!!...the beamshots rule!:naughty:
Great job!:thumbsup: