• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fyrstormer's Evil Labs presents: Hi-CRI Haiku

fyrstormer

Banned
So I got this Haiku in the mail the other day...

CIMG4391.jpg

...and I got these LEDs today...

CIMG4403.jpg

...so I made this:

CIMG4392.jpg

CIMG4400.jpg

CIMG4402.jpg

Now my Haiku has a buddy. :buddies:

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hi-CRI Haiku

No way. :eek: How comparable would you say the output is? I was just thinking about how a 3S Sundrop with the output of a Haiku would be awesome/perfect for me.

fyrstormer

Banned

Read my mind, ninemm. While you were posting your question, I was doing a comparison with a SunDrop light engine installed in my other Haiku. SunDrop is on the left.

CIMG4409.jpg

CIMG4413.jpg

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

What emitter is that? Seoul P4? Looks like the output is about the same as the sundrop light engine with a higher color temp.

I love the Haikus. They are just gorgeous lights.

SFfanman

Enlightened

Simply Beautiful Mr. Stormer! :clap::clap:

Great Job! Any idea as to the output on high? And possibly a group build? I know I might be interested. :paypal:

fyrstormer

Banned

The emitters I got from Tekno_Cowboy's group buy a few weeks ago: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=196673. The bag is tagged "T1STAI", which as I understand it means they are slightly dimmer than T2's and slightly cooler than SS's (roughly 4300K instead of 4000K; yes, a higher temperature is cooler, don't you love combining modern measurements with antiquated terminology? :D) I don't know what the AI stands for, possibly something to do with the type of carrier package?

The color temperature is noticeably warmer than the Nichia 083 used in the SunDrop, but the color rendition is just as good to my eyes. I'm actually not a big fan of warm emitters as a rule, but the high CRI on these means it renders the healthy green grass in my yard just as well as the dead brown grass, which is my usual eyeball benchmark for LED tint. :eek: The output is noticeably higher than the Nichia 083, as can be seen in the second set of pictures I posted, which is expected since it runs at twice the current.

I have four of these emitters left, plus a T1SS that I got as a test-fit sample; the installation was relatively painless, it was first time I had the chutzpah to de-solder an emitter from its mounting board, but I want to play around with the focus a bit since the reflector wasn't actually designed for this emitter's radiation pattern.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Well dang! This might get confusing when I introduce the Haiku High CRI and Mule High CRI. :eek: :shrug:

fyrstormer

Banned

Well, that sucks. Stupid databases and their failure to be perfect at all times. :sick2:

(everything I need to know about Oracle, by the way, I learned by running headlong into a wall while trying to escape at a dead run.)

So anyway, as I said before the Matrix was tweaked: I fixed the focus issue with the P4 LED; it looks like the centering ring doesn't need to be altered after all, so it can still perform its original function with an XR-E LED as well as acting as a spacer with a P4 LED. I can't really do a group-build because my supply of LEDs is dependent on the inclination of others to run group-buys of them, but I have 4 more LEDs so if anyone wants this done, send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Last edited: