Fenix L0D and Preon ReVO SS

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
I got my new Preon today so figured I try my hand at a little review here.... Let me just start by saying that I'm not trying to WHAT-SO-EVER bill this as a thorough (or even good for that matter) review... but I will do my best to be real brief and post only my bias opinions, I promise. :D

Also, all these pictures are taken with my phone so please cut me a little slack. haha

First I was curios as to how it compared in size to my other AAA lights so I stood them all next to each other.
DSC01082.JPG

ISO: 64
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 5.9mm

Next, I was curious if my new SS would stand on end so I tried that... worked pretty well, fairly stable.
DSC01085.JPG

Exposure: 1/100 sec

Then I took a look down the business end and immediately thought... hmmmm, this revo has a Tiny emitter.
DSC01083.JPG

Exposure: 1/50 sec

So, next I of course turn them on while laying on my desk (both loaded with freshly charged, white top, made in Japan Duracell's) really just so I could see how wide a spread each of the beams had.... First on low...
DSC01089.JPG

ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/10 sec

....Then on high....
DSC01090.JPG

Exposure: 1/20 sec

I really liked the wide spill of my L0D but was super impressed by the really uniform control of the ReVO beam... So next I decided to clamp them on to one of my light stands and see them up against the wall. I have seen this shot in other reviews so figured I'd do it too. First on Low....
DSC01093.JPG

ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/10 sec

....wow.... the SS (on the right) has a really LOW, low... So, then I turned them up to the Highest setting for each....
DSC01092.JPG

Exposure: 1/20 sec

All in all, I can't quite make up my mind which I like better. Although not captured here too well, I like the warmth of the SS better but like the floodyness of the Fenix.... Then I think I like the hotspot better on the ReVO only to quickly remind myself that I really like the stroboscopic effect of the L0D..... oh well... hope you enjoyed the pics atleast....

thanks for reading.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix does make a great AAA light, but the level spacing, low-low and the runtime of the Revo make it a winner for me.

I am very happy with it right now... much happier than I would have suspected.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Fenix does make a great AAA light, but the level spacing, low-low and the runtime of the Revo make it a winner for me.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I just got my ReVO yesterday and had almost completely ignored the light for reasons I can't remember now, but finally broke down and bought an XP-G neutral version and it's replaced my EZAAw for the time being as my back pocket light.

Love this little light and hope that eventually it's popularity will earn it a spot in the limited run warm tints from 4Sevens.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to agree with the level spacing on the Revo and think they are about perfect for this light. The low is great for navigating in the dark without being too bright or too dim (and a bonus is the light runs so long in this mode). The medium level is an impressive balance between output/runtime. The high is great for a light this small with decent runtime as well for the amount of output.

Another aspect of the Revo that I really like is how small it was made. To me, it feels noticably smaller than a Fenix. The Fenix is a very nice AAA light and I did own one at one time. But I feel the Revo is a nicer light.

Latest posts