Obnoxious Drunks Corraled with a Thrower

heckboy

Enlightened
Recently there had been some loud partying at the fourplex next door to our place. They have a small deck on the back of an apartment that is about 15 meters from our patio and about 5 meters lower. It's about the same distance from our bedroom window. This time of year around here, coastal southern California, most people will have their windows open enjoying the cool evenings and nights. Unfortunately these people, I won't call them neighbors, had taken to drinking and having loud drunken discussions on their deck at all hours of the night. I had talked to them directly on two occasions in the morning following these nights and my wife had done the same. Each time they were apologetic but clearly not taking our admonishments seriously.

Last week on Monday evening I was awakened abruptly at 12:25 am.. At first I wasn't sure what had woke me up but after a few moments of lying in bed quietly I heard the familiar sound of the drunks on the deck. I had made a plan after my last visit with them that I then began to execute. Rising from bed I put on my robe and a pair of shoes. I also fetched my Raidfire Spear which had a fully charged 18650 in it. If you recall, the Raidfire Spear was a highly rated thrower three or so years ago. The Spear was usually narrowly beaten by the Deerelight in comparisons. As a point of reference this light brightly illuminates objects at a true 100 meters. I stepped it off.

Walked out to my patio and leaning against the wall nearest the drunks spoke: "What's going on out here." I was greeted by absolute stunned silence. I gave them five seconds and then hit the clicky on the Raidfire. Their response was immediate and gratifying. Collectively all four drunks cringed. I heard one of them say "That is a bright ***king light." I responded "Shut up and listen." I have never shined one of my really bright lights into a persons eyes and I was surprised to see retina reflections from all the drunks. Their retinas were yellow with a green tinge and I could easily discern where they were looking. I clearly had their complete attention. While holding the light on the unfortunate drunk that was facing me I began my lecture: "Do you realize how far your voices carry at night? You are waking up the entire neighborhood. Do you care about your neighbors?" The drunk bearing the full brunt of the Raidfire spoke: "Sir, could you turn that light off?" To which I responded: "The light is not going to be turned off. Here is what is going to happen. If you plan to get drunk in the future you will do it inside your apartment and you will never wake me again. Tonight you will go back inside your apartment, close the doors and windows, and not disturb me again." Once again the spokesdrunk responded "could you turn off that light?" I said "the light is not turning off until you do what I said." I had a fully charged 18650 and probably had a good 45 minutes of intense drunk blinding light available. She responded "we will accommodate you."

I had to suppress my urge to laugh out loud as I watched the drunks stumble around trying to find the door, no doubt with a big black spots in the middle of their visual field, and get out of the view of that horrible blinding light. I can only imagine how long it was before they stopped seeing spots.

The next day I called the owner of the fourplex and received his assurance that he would deal with them one way or another. My flashlight remains charged and at the ready although we haven't heard a peep from them since our illuminating discussion.

Regards,
HB

cistallus

Enlightened
Great story! I really got a kick out of reading it. You really Spear'd 'em. :D

jellydonut

Enlightened
I cannot stand obnoxious drunk people. You, sir, deserve a medal. A solid 24k gold one.lovecpf

I don't know tight the beam on that Raidfire is but comparing the specs otherwise I can only assume my Malkoff Hound Dog could pull the same duty if needed...:tinfoil:

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Too funny! I guess blinding light is another great feature to go with having something to smack people with.

Disclaimer: Violence not encouraged. :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Once again . . . Good job dealing with those drunks.

The world is far too tolerant of drunks.

LobsterX

Newly Enlightened
maybe they moved out after becoming blinded, needing blind-friendly accomodations....

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people react completely wrong to such a situation. They begin to shout at the drunks, making even more noise and in the end the drunks laugh about you, call you names and you go inside again... furious!

This way the exact way to act correctly. A powerfull light directed at you by night intimidates, drunk or not. It has a police-effect. If the person behind the light speaks calm, clear an determined, the police-effect is enhanced. Not turning the light off until they were in again was the right thing to do.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent story!!! man, if you had an M1X, TK40 or something similar it would have been a complete victory!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just last night I went for a walk and had a car come by me doing about 30 on a side street with no lights on. Watched as he disappeared about two blocks away, still without any lights.

About 15 minutes later I turned a corner and the same car was just pulling away from a house with the lights still off and I was ready with my Ti Clicky. From 10 feet away in a dark car and on a dark street, he got 170 of Henry's lumens right square in the face.
When I called the cops to report them they asked if the driver was white and I said yes, very!

Saw the car in their back yard today, hidden behind another truck, so hopefully in addition to laying low, they also learned a lesson.

GeetarHero

Newly Enlightened
Great story! Nice work. I just hope they don't decide to get drunk again and decide they want revenge... better keep that spear handy!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since my comment disappeared into the black hole of yesterday, I'll reiterate:

If it were me, I'd have used my 55W HID Spotlight. Melted retinas all 'round.