• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Surefire/Overready Steampunk

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Overready's steampunk design (natural HA III) is one of the most beautiful finishes I have ever seen. Unfortunately, it is not available any more..

If someone wants to get rid of his
* Surefire 6P or 9P or C2 or C3 or Z2 in natural HA (steampunk)
* maybe even with A19 extender for the 2-cell models?

and is willing to ship to Germany, then please contact me (PM)

thanks
Michael

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Looks like this thread got wiped out by the great data purge. :awman:

Times like this, I wish I had a better memory. Here's the photo again:

2cdj0pw.jpg

Then there was some interest, then some more interest, then someone asked how it was done. I replied something to the effect of it being like accelerated aging of brass, hitting the HA with physical and chemical processes. Its not a dye or paint.

Then someone said it looks like dieselpunk more than steampunk.

Sorry, thats all I got...

Mettee

Enlightened
Ha! Dan that is funny. Ok so its is a process, how durable is it? Better than ceramic coatings? I want something as tough as can be.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I said it was a beautiful finish, and I'd like to see it on larger Surefires, like the old-style M3.

The application would be as easy as reproducing the color. We've only done it once, so its not confirmed we can. If so, that leaves three challenges:

1) This is still a natural finish, without the color/shade control provide by dye. Even two parts put through the same batch can create different results because of the composition of the aluminum itself. This can be the bezel vs the body or older metal vs newer metal.

2) 100% of the parts we currently strip are type II. Parts that are already HA would need a separate stripping process (more $$).

3) Non serialized parts can be impossible to identify as unique items after the process(es). An M3 bezel, run as the only in a batch (service for one) would be easy. The tailcap, 1 of perhaps 100.​

Ok so its is a process, how durable is it? Better than ceramic coatings? I want something as tough as can be.

HA color options can be tricky. The thicker it is, the tougher it is. But the thicker it is, the harder it is to add dye:

.0005 < - type II
.0007 < - limit for ha light colors
.0012 < - limit for ha dark colors (other than black)
.0020 < - OVEREADY spec​

When someone shows a colored HA flashlight, its generally half as thick as what's possible. .0020 is the the only thickness we've ever used. The dieselpunk color, for example, is full thickness and does not use a dye. The durability of the coating remains. The durability of the color appears just as strong, but long term use is still underway.

As for paint vs HA. OR spec HA and H grade Cerakote (the tougher heat treated grade) are both very tough. HA is harder but can chip (hard = brittle). Cerakote is more elastic but can will still 'smudge' when struck hard by steel, concrete, etc. So in both cases, we still recommend steel bezel rings to protect the thin edge that surrounds the lens.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Yay! You changed the terminology to dieselpunk! I feel helpful now. :)

Pardon me while I geek for a moment, but the reason I brought it up is because aluminum (to say nothing of anodized hard-coatings) was still laboratory-only during Victorian times, as was internal-combustion. By WW2, however, aluminum and diesel were both all over the place, hence the close association of those technologies with their respective time periods.

However you want to slice it, though, it looks great and I wish all anodized aluminum was treated like this. If you ever manage to replicate the process, I think I'd like to have my Griffin treated. :D

Last edited:

kellyglanzer

Enlightened
1) This is still a natural finish, without the color/shade control provide by dye. Even two parts put through the same batch can create different results because of the composition of the aluminum itself. This can be the bezel vs the body or older metal vs newer metal.

I think the varience in results is part of the charm. it actually makes them much more unique. I'm in.

Next I want an oilcan finish like on my Scotty Cameron Putter. :D