Cookie software advice wanted?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried Cookie Pal which asks you whether you want to accept or reject a cookie each time one is offered and you can then tell it to always or never accept the cookie but the thing is often times I have no idea whether I should accept or reject the cookie. I then often find out that I should have accepted the cookie because I will then have difficulty accessing the web site. Some of course are obvious like anything from doubleclick but a lot of them aren't. So for now I don't use any cookie software but once a week, let Adsubtract Pro clean out any cookies it thinks is undesireable. Is there more intelligent cookie management software available that can detect at the time the cookie is issued, whether it should be accepted or not?

was_jlh

Enlightened
Geepondy, haven't used it myself, but check out:

Cookie Crusher

http://www.thelimitsoft.com/

Cookie Crusher works with your web browser and rejects or accepts cookies in real-time, based on user configurable preferences. The program features cookie classification technology, which uses artificial intelligence to determine the cookie's purpose, such as site tracking, e-commerce, or advertising and allows you to make a more educated decision on whether you want to accept or reject a particular cookie. In addition, the program displays the total number of cookies based on the originating site and classification, soyou can view which sites often send a particular type of cookie.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I can recommend Spybot- search and destroy. It's free and you can set it to block known spyware. It runs very fast compared to AdAware and PestPatrol, and only cleans out the bad ones. (At least it leaves the ones for this site alone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .) I run it once a week. (Sent 'em some money too!)

Larry

was_jlh

Enlightened
Spybot's great, that's what I use too. I thought Geppondy was looking for something a little more specific to cookies.

Joe

Screehopper

Enlightened
Mozilla has cookie management built into the browser if you want to avoid using third-party apps to deal w/cookies. I personally prefer Mozilla over Internet Exploder.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
On of the nice thing about Mozilla is that the user can adjust how the browser reacts to cookies in real time. It is easily configured to allow a choice as to what to do on every cookie or only on cookies that you haven't had the chance to tell the browser about.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume most people allow cookies at all times. How else do you explain the damn CPF BBS and EBAY software etc. Did you ever try to log in the first time to either with cookies disabled?

I rarely write nasty grams, but I wrote one to the administrator here. I'm surprised they still allow me in.