HFT Mod Flashlight

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
SO I picked up this set of lights at the local Harbor Freight for $10 - 20% coupon = $8. I intended to use it for a dive light build, but upon close inspection, I realized the light has no bezel and the lens is glued on there along with the reflector.
This is the set- 2 lights, a 3D and a 2AA... with ultra quality Eveready batteries!
HarborFreightLight.jpg

So what to do with a crappy light: Mod it of course... I decided to go affordable and easy. The bulb was mounted in what made a good modified heatsink. All I had to do was to machine a small aluminum slug and press it in there. The bulb mount is aluminum and it mounts into the barrel by threads. Took the switch spring out that makes contact with the bulb and soldered the + wire into it. For the negative, I drilled a small hole on the heat sink and screwed it on the back side.
After a few hours she is starting to take shape:
HFTP7.jpg

Head on:
HFTModReflector.jpg

Some decorations:
HFTMod.jpg

Final product:
DSC00970.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

Beam shot- note the beamshot is not really smooth and pretty. The stock reflector makes the center of the beam kind of uneven, but heck for about $30 worth of parts and a few hours worth of work, who cares!...

DSC00972.jpg

BTW, the batteries were some half dead batteries I had laying around. The light really is brighter... Oh, and this is a direct drive build!

Latest posts