Beamshots: SST90 vs SST50 vs 50W HID!

big4x4

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody,
Just thought I'd drop by and post some beamshots and impressions of a Nailbender drop in p60 SST90 (OP reflector) another Nailbender SST90 p60 (Smooth reflector), a deal extreme SST50 (aurora SH40), and for fun my 50W HID flashlight (4500 lumen).

The first picture is of the SST90 with OP reflector using IMR 18650:
1txagl.jpg

SPILL MONSTER! This is a great, high quality light using a solarforce L2 host and nailbender drop in. I prefer the OP reflector since it has a smoother beam pattern, and since the reflector is so small, the smooth reflector barely has more throw.

The second picture is the same light as pictured above, but with spring mods to decrease resistance:
15ge1r9.jpg

As you can see, after the mod, there is a good deal more light coming out of the front! Look at the color of the beam, it seems like after the mod, the color temp dropped and became warmer as well...

The third picture is of the SST90 with a smooth reflector using IMR 18650:
142u5g4.jpg

Great drop in from nailbender, but do prefer the OP reflector with such a small drop in. This is a bit brighter in the center, but the beam not nearly as uniform as the OP reflector.

The fourth picture is the same as above, but with afformentioned spring mods.
2rr6jpj.jpg

A good bit brighter as you can see.

The fifth picture is the DX aurora SH40 SST50:
351wwe9.jpg

This is an awesome light that really suprised me. For Medium range to Long range duty, this light cannot be beat. Much more throw than the SST90 drop ins, with good spill as well from its wide, deep smooth reflector. The SST-50 is probably the ideal emmiter for a pocket light with great throw and spill. Now that AW has 2900 mah batteries that go up to 5.8 amps, you are set!
The sixth picture is the 4500 Lumen 50W HID Flashlight:
155762g.jpg

Just thrown in for fun. Not really fair comparison, HID is much brighter and has 2-3x the throw, but you can see how these new LED's compare to some of the bigger lights out there. The awesome size/light output ratio is quite amazing on these little LED 18650 powerhouses! The LED's make for much more practical everyday carry lights.

Last edited:

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell me more about this SPRING mod you speak of. Im at work right now and the firewall doesn't let the pictures through. I tried searching, albeit not too hard, but came up empty. Any way to lower the resistance and get more lumens is good with me. Im assuming that your running a DirectDrive SST-90 LOP Nailbender Drop in?

Stephen

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
prediction: 5 years and bye bye HID's :nana:

don't think so. Concerning its price (tactical hid shown in the post, around 160 $) there is no alternative in total lumens to a single LED. So may be it will last 10 years or more...

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't think so. Concerning its price (tactical hid shown in the post, around 160 $) there is no alternative in total lumens to a single LED. So may be it will last 10 years or more...

$10 bux says ur rong :D - I have a light being built for me made from 1 LED that will equal that HID.
BTW what has price got to do with anything that I said or was mentioned in this thread? HID bulbs last 2-3000 hours and cost $50-$100 each to replace & led's last 50.000+ hours :shrug: oh well we will see who is right.

Patriot

Flashaholic
$10 bux says ur rong :D - I have a light being built for me made from 1 LED that will equal that HID.
BTW what has price got to do with anything that I said or was mentioned in this thread? HID bulbs last 2-3000 hours and cost $50-$100 each to replace & led's last 50.000+ hours :shrug: oh well we will see who is right.

It all depends on what one means by "equal." We've long known that if you send enough current to a SST-90 that it's capable of outstanding output. The heat problem remains as well as the lack of surface brightness as compared to HID. Until LED's become smaller and process higher surface brightness they'll only ever be as bright in total output which doesn't speak of throw. Right now the trend is higher output, bigger dies, more thermal concerns and less efficiency on the high end of the LED spectrum.

With regards to the life expectancy of HID bulbs when expressed in the form of a hand held light, that 2-3000 hour expectancy is probably 4x-8x more duration than what even a "high use" hobbyist will ever need or use. More often than not, li-ion packs die, models become obsolete, or other things simply break before an issue with the bulb is ever experienced.

KRUSHDUDE

Newly Enlightened
big4x4, I have the 50w HID as well. In the picture posted above, where did you set the spot-flood adjustment bezel? Thanks.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I have a VP2000 with SST90 (led dome removed) 4x D NMiH it was one of a few prototypes first built and is run pretty hard, and it has a fivemega 2.5" deep super throw head and I have compared it to a POB HID that a guy had while I was out fishing and the VP threw just as far - wish I had a camera with me to prove it :ohgeez:
oh and with all that extra alu in the head it doesn't get too hot at all - I have always bought the best LED throwers on CPF and this is by far the best thrower and it has good spill for a thrower and you can unscrew the head to make it a floodlight too :thumbsup: and I am hoping for better from the SA1.

big4x4

Newly Enlightened
Krushdude,
To set the focus, I always just take the HID out to the longest empty strech I can find, and adjust until I can make out the farthest object possible while stil allowing good to medium flood. Usually that takes the focus somewhere in the middle. In the picture above, there was not too much flood, so I would say if I started at full spot mode, I turned it about 2/5 of the way toward flood mode.

I am really interested now to see what a domeless sst90 can do! Is there any down side to doing this other than a lower quality beam pattern? I might have to mess around with the next SST90 I get!

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really interested now to see what a domeless sst90 can do! Is there any down side to doing this other than a lower quality beam pattern? I might have to mess around with the next SST90 I get!
no side affects for having removed the dome - it comes off quite easily and is still covered with epoxy or what ever they use so no corrosion of the wires or degrading of the led.
removing the dome makes the lux double and hot spot about twice a small :wave:

Tripwik

Newly Enlightened
I am with Troop#26 on this one. Can you tell us some more about the spring mod. Especially after seeing those pics I am very interested!

Patriot

Flashaholic
no side affects for having removed the dome - it comes off quite easily and is still covered with epoxy or what ever they use so no corrosion of the wires or degrading of the led.
removing the dome makes the lux double and hot spot about twice a small :wave:

Glenn, just curious if you new of any SR90 owners who have done this? I ask since it's likely the most popular sst90, production flashlight.