Wich 30 $ flashlight for my friend?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Hi!

A friend of mine is looking for a flashlight, and wanted me to ask CPF about it :)

The flashlight should cost under 35 $, it should be powered by CR123 batteries (Also 2CR123) or AA batteries. My friend wants a thrower, but it's not very necessary.
The light will be used outdoors, so it should tolerate a bit abuse. Any ideas of wich light he want?

I also think i will pick up a iTP A2, and use a 14500 battery in it, how will this work? Any other ideas of powerful 14500 lights? Just got some new 14500 and i don't know what to do with them, NEW REASON TO BUY A NEW FLASHLIGHT! :)

BTW, i need a fast answer, he is ready to buy a new light in about 1-2 hours, please answer if you have ANY suggestions! :)
Thanks

Last edited:

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
One of the most throwy compact lights, that use 2xCR123A or 2xAA is EagleTac P100C2 or P100A2. They are nice, simple and quite powerful lights. They're available at illuminationgear.com, a price is little higher than 35$, but they're worth it.
A little cheaper option is new Fenix E21, that is available for pre-order in MP.

As for 14500 ...yes, ITP A2 is very nice. Other option is 4Sevens Quark Mini AA... Very bright on li-ions and available in cool, neutral or warm tints.
Oh by the way, there's also ITP A4 (2xCR123A) which can be also considered by your friend.

shark_za

Enlightened
For a budget light I always suggest the iTP SA1/2 SC1/2 depending on your battery requirements.

Your friend would do well with the SA2 or the SA1 with 14500's.

$39 if you shop around.

JDest

Newly Enlightened
Completely agree with shark. I've been pretty high on the S series for a while and there might not be a better light for the money (except the Akorays) than than those. Fantastic throw for compact lights with very solid spill as well. Check out selfbuilt's reviews for direct comparison. Basically a perfect mix of flood and throw. This is as close as it currently gets to a regulated, do it all light. I have no doubt that if these lights had a different brand name on them they would be FAR more popular.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
ITP SA's and SC's and very good. Solarforce is also a good option for that price bracket...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look on deal extreme, for P7 led flashlights. Make sure you check reviews to get a good one. Ultrafire (not sure on quality control) is one name that pops up lots