Snap-On 92311 2AAA LED Pen Light 80 lumens

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
[This post was lost when the CPF database was restored from an earlier checkpoint so I am reconstructing the article from the Google cache.]

Seeking comments/review from owners of the Snap-On 92311 2AAA LED pen light. I am a penlight fan and I've never seen this light before. Most search engine hits eventually lead back to Amazon.com or Sears.com.

It looks like it has a forward clicky pushbutton switch with momentary action. The Amazon description claims it is "equipped with a high output LED rated at 80 lumens driving at 350mA ..."

How is the tint? Artifacts? Battery runtime? It is a private label version of a more commonly recognizable flashlight brand?

Thanks.

snap-on-penlight.jpg

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Snap-On 92311 2AAA LED Pen Light 80 lumens?

Curiosity got the best of me. I just ordered one of these Snap-On pen lights. :popcorn:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was going to suggest you try and find out who the Snap On maker of the light is and purchase from another source without the Snap On logo as that puts needless $ on the light.

Snap On use the same maker as the company I work for for some of there tools.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

Looks interesting. I ordered one. Thanks for the link.

Anything with a "Snap-on" logo is usually over-priced, but typically of very good quality. This light is $25, which I think is very reasonable priced if it's a true 80 lumens.

-

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received the Snap-On 2AAA LED Pen Light today. Here are preliminary scans. I will check out the performance at night.

The printing on the package is difficult to read in the photos and not clear in person due to the color scheme and narrow font.

Package front:
snap-on-led1.jpg

Package back:
snap-on-led2.jpg

Shown below are the Snap-On pen light, Streamlight Stylus Pro, and Fenix LD-05 for comparison:
snap-on-led3.jpg

Both ends are removeable:
snap-on-led4.jpg

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have the Snap-on and the Streamlight. The Snap-on is a tad larger, which makes it less suitable for shirt-pocket carry IMHO. The light output seems about the same for both, with the Snap-on having a floodier hotspot.

IMO - the Streamlight wins, mainly because it's smaller.

-

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Streamlight Stylus Pro throws a little farther than the Snap-On pen light, but the Snap-On has a wider hot spot and significantly brighter spill.

The Snap-On emits more light overall in ceiling bounce tests against my Stylus Pro and Fenix LD05 (Fenix at the medium setting). Still, Snap-On's 80 lumen figure seems optimistic at best.

The Snap-On light consumes more current. After an initial surge, it draws approximately 250 mA versus 144 mA for the Stylus Pro. I use Energizer Lithium primary batteries.

The Snap-On's tint is warmer than both the Stylus Pro and Fenix LD05. Tint can vary from light to light, of course.

Although the Snap-On light is noticeably brighter than the Stylus Pro, the Stylus Pro feels like it is constructed better. The Snap-On's pocket clip is weaker by comparison, but adequate. The threads came bone dry so I lubed them with Nyogel.

Some owners complain about the feel of their Stylus Pro's clickie switch, but I think it feels better than the Snap-On's switch. Both are forward clickies with momentary function, but the Stylus Pro's switch has larger rubber cover, a longer travel, and more positive feel.

In the short time I've owned it, the Snap-On wins on the amount and pattern of light emitted and the Stylus Pro wins on construction and runtime.

The Snap-On pen light is made in China. The packaging says "Snap-On flashlights are backed by a lifetime warranty. This warranty covers manufacturer defects and workmanship. The warranty excludes misuses or abuse and normal wear and tear. ... "

There is a tiny paper label glued inside the Snap-On light's barrel showing battery polarity and providing a toll free telephone number for warranty.

Last edited: