New to the forum, suggestions on new light?

rlcrisp

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking to open my wallet to a new hobby :whistle: and ended up here. I'd appreciate any suggestions on some good lights to start looking at - kind of at an information overload area here. I'm interested in battery technology (recently graduated with BSEE but didn't focus much on power/batteries) so going with lithium-ion/18650 is what I'd like to do. Anyways, here is the survey filled out.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
_X__Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
_X__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
_X__HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
_X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
_X__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
_X__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
_X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_X__I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
_X__I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
_X__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

I realize I may be asking more than my "budget" question allows, so I picked two choices where some flexibility might be needed. Please offer me some wisdom!

Thanks,
Ryan

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the HDS EDC, aka Ra Clicky. An EDC Execut6ive 140 Lumen with the wide beam could be what you're looking for...

http://www.hdssystems.com/?id=ClickyExecutive

In the LED lights section you'll find a thread about these (currently part 11), just read a little bit and you'll know! :wave:

:welcome:

Imon

Enlightened
Like Henk said, looks like what you need is a Ra Clicky. It won't stun you with brightness but it'll blow you away with quality, attention to detail, and diversity in the light's programmable modes.
I have a 140 Executive narrow beam pattern (20% greater throw apparently...) Just keep in mind that the 100 (high CRI), 140, and 170 lumen output advertised is the "burst" mode.

pwatcher

Enlightened
The RaClicky recs are solid, but I'd take a look at this:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

Meets all your requirements (maybe with exception of programability), and since you are a CPF member :welcome: you can get a 5% discount by entering the code "cpf2009".

The M30 kit in the link will give you much more versatility than the HDS light - altho I'm sure you'll eventually want one of those also for its superb build quality (I own both).

Information overload is a risk, and opinions all over the place will tend to confuse you, but I'd just narrow down what seems interesting to you to the top 2 or 3, then do some google searches in CPF for reviews, beamshots, and owner experiences with your finalists.

Above all, have fun!

pwatcher :)

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
I'd like to know more about what you want to use the light for.

You have an ample budget, but only appear to want moderate throw and moderate brightness, with more emphasis on runtime.

Battery wise, there really is little reason to insist on 18650s. They are a great option, but if you already have an AA charger, there are several nice lights that might fit the bill.

Size-wise, are you wanting a light that is just occasionally carry-able in your pocket, or would you carry it all the time, or do you want a keychain light?

A good bet for a small but powerful light is the P-Rocket. It will have a good mix of flood and throw for general purpose use. 70 bucks, 1x18650, 3 modes. No strobe, but strobe really isn't very useful.
On medium mode you get plenty of runtime, and also have the big 700 lumen brightness when/if you need it. Or get tons of runtime on low.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-136/**NEW**-MG-P-dsh-Rocket-SST-dsh-50/Detail

My personal keychain light is an itp A1 with a rechargable CR123 battery which I can top off periodically.
It is a 4.2volt max battery vs the 3.0v regular CR123 for extra brightness. 3 modes, twisty, 2.3 inches long!!!. A bit big for a keychain light but its worked great for me and is extremely handy when I would never normally have access to a light. I got the heavier stainless steel, but aluminum is just fine too. It produces a heck of a lot of light (200 lumens+) for such a tiny package.

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main...id=486&zenid=2cf271b602fc362012a910860178a258

Note that 2xAA lights are fairly compact, light, and can produce 280ish lumens with an XP-G emitter (the latest&greatest small emitter) There are many choices. Even 1xAA lights can do a decent job with an XP-G emitter.

An itp A6 Polestar or Fenix TK40 or TK45 use 6 or 8 AA batteries. They fit nicely in the hand and their small reflectors mean you can put em in your pocket though slightly uncomfortable. These are powerful 700 lumen lights that are fatter but shorter than their 2x18650 equivalents.

Battery note:
A WF139 charger works decently. Make sure whatever you get can do 18650s and it ought to handle RCR123s and 14500s (AA sized lithiums) You might need a small aluminum spacer.
Note that you cannot charge AAA-sized lithiums in this charger. DONT DO IT!
Make sure to get PROTECTED batteries as most small keychain lights are direct drive. i.e. nothing to automatically cut off the light when the battery voltage gets too low (which can damage the battery, which can damage YOU!)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
you are being too reasonable with what you want. LOL you have a good budget, and think you will be very pleased with your new toy.

since you want to use 18650, check this out https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234868 modified surefires to accept 18650s.

then for drop-ins https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282416

there is alot of information, and custom modify options for you specific wants and needs. do your RESEARCH first if you decide to take this route. theres a wealth of info here on CPF. and many very helpful folks.lovecpf

Zebralight SC60 is another light that I really like that only uses 18650. its size of 4 inches long is what appeals to me.

rlcrisp

Newly Enlightened
Double post - didn't think it went through

Last edited:

rlcrisp

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking this first light would be as versatile as I could get - mainly stored in the home for general use but also frequently taken out camping and backpacking. The medium brightness/throw are driven by the general use requirement, and the run time by camping/backpacking. I'm thinking that something with a little size would be best - comfortably held in a hand for long periods of time.

Eventually I'd like to get a few more specialized lights (keychain for everyday/everywhere carry - and a glovebox light that won't cook in the texas summer), but those can be another discussion.

Reading more into things - I realize it is silly to limit yourself to one battery (18650), and in reality whatever gives me decent runtime in a moderate sized package will be fine for me.

Thanks everyone for taking time to give good advice - I'm starting to sort through all the info out there between your replies and more research. It is much more appreciated to get useful info rather than "use the search tool"!

Ryan

utlgoa

Enlightened
You should research the new Coast/LedLenser M7R. It has a list price of $170.00 but you can purchase it online for $90.00 if you shop around. here is some info obtained from Optics Planet.....

Coast LED Lenser M7R High Performance Handheld Flashlight combines the incredible brightness and compact size of the Coast P7 High Performance Flashlight but with added features such as the
spacer.gif
convenience of a rechargeable battery. The Coast spotlight produces 220 lumens of focusable light, includes a strobing mode, and features the upgraded Advanced Focus System that allows the user to lock in their preferred spot or focus beam. Coast also makes it easy to recharge the LED search light with its unique recharging system which can be used with or without the included mount.
Specifications for Coast LED Lenser M7-R High Performance LED Light

Model:HP8307RMax. Lumens:Max 220 High 180 Low 30Overall Size (in.):6.00Weight (oz.):7.20Battery Type/Battery Product Number:1 x ICR18650 Li-ion TT6102CPWorking battery life:High 12 Low 20.5Sheath type:Case
Features of Coast HP8307R Lenser M7 R High Performance LED Flashlight

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal

Latest posts