A quickly failed experiment

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it has been posted that you could put just 4 AA lithium batteries (as opposed to 8) in a PT Surge and it should be OK as the higher voltage should be compromised as you don't have another battery set in parallel. Well I tried it and the light bulb blew instantly after a split second of intense light.

I wish someone could come up with a suitable Surge bulb that worked with NIMH rechargeables. When I use my Surge with NIMH's, the light output is steady but noticeably dimmer then with fresh alkalines. When I use alkalines, the initial brightness is good but dims steadily throughout the battery drain.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
So in other words, you want your cake and eat it too?
wink.gif

If you're electronically minded, you could shunt a small resistor between the battery contact and the lamp - I wouldn't know what value, just to bleed off some of that Li voltage, say down to 1.55V (not under load) would be about ideal.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Or get a Willie Hunt LVR. (not very cheap, and size might be a problem)

Efficiency, and max-output without blowing the bulb in an instant. And you can re-qure the batteries to full-series, and get really long max-brightness (lithiums should handle the current... or NiMH.)