A flashlight for EDC

Zflashlight

Newly Enlightened
This is a repost of my first thread:

Hello everyone! I hope i'm posting in the right forum. I'm looking for a flashlight for EDC(ish).

I've started doing a bit research into the matter since i want a good quality, durable flashlight. I've always bought from el-cheapo so it took me a while before posting this.

I started looking for flashlights that can adjust the focus of the beam. I have one from Decathlon, Geonaute (?), and this one has that feature. I can widen the beam for general use, and focus to see farther. It's very useful, but it's not bright enough for some tasks, the adjuster takes a while to go from focus to flood and back, and a bit bulky for EDC.

I found a few from searching google and this forum, but i start to think the ideal is nothing but a dream. So much so that the one i found to be it was not released. The Surefire UA2 Optimus. Surely there's some techical dificulty to produce such a light, waterproof on top of it all.

I pictured a flashlight with low mode, medium and high, and some more in between, depending on how bright it is. But i found that most advanced flashlights seem to require morse code to toggle modes.. 'twist left five times, then back once and you're all set to start programming'
b14

I prefer to cycle the mode with one switch, geez. I can see where and when that's a good thing, but not for me.

The UI i found perfect is a ring like the JetBeam RRT-0 has, or that Surefire.
It seems obvious, easy to use and practical.

In conclusion, i'm looking for a compromise, some departure from that ideal. Right now, for this thread, that compromise is the zoom. So i'm looking for an AA (1 or 2) based flashlight like the RRT-0 - alternatives to RRT-0. Water resistant (ipx8), ring ui, solid (resistance to shock and all that), with a low mode for runtime, and a good throw on high.
If you find something like Surefire UA2 Optimus, all the better.

I almost settled with the Jetbeam, but i'd like to know my options. Can you help me?

cistallus

Enlightened
I recently looked at rotary control lights. The Surefire T1A Titan has the perfect interface we seek - just the ring, no other switches, infinite levels, it's all in the ring - the ring, my preciousssss - oh, sorry, anyway, it's not AA (is CR123) and is expensive and not that bright.

Others to maybe look at:
- Fenix TA20, TA21, TA30 - multi-level rings, but again they are not AA.
- The SunwayMan (was SunwayLed) lights. Don't think any are AA?
- Nitecore SR3 - again it's CR123.
- RRT-1 and RRT-2 and RRT-3 - none are AA.

RRT-0 (purchasing the optional AA extension tube with it) looks like your only choice if you want an AA ring light.

The other thing you mentioned, flood-to-throw, is just as rare or more so. I think some Coast/LED Lenser lights do that, might look at those. But you are probably better off getting one light with a good overall beam, or two separate lights one floody and one thrower.

A nice small EDC single-AA light is the ZebraLight SC50+. Simple interface: hold down the button until it's at the level you want (it goes low-medium-hi), then release it. Or a normal click on from off turns it on high. It does more than that, but those basics are pretty straightforward.

There are other lights that may have programming modes but in normal use operation is very simple, e.g. tighten head for high, loosen for low.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Here's my EDC lights. The one I carry every single day is the Quark Tactical 123*2:

7-edc-lights.jpg

Based on your criteria, I would happily suggest the Quark Tactical AA*2. It uses two AA batteries and is very comfortable to carry, and has 200 lumens. It has a bunch of different modes, but the beauty of the 'Tactical' UI (user interface) is that you select your two favorite modes, then program them into the light. Then those two modes are immediately available depending if you have a tight head or a loose head. A very nice UI. Minimum muss and fuss.

I have given away about a dozen of the Quark Tactical AA*2 lights and EVERYONE has been very happy to receive one. I usually keep a few on hand, ready to give away:
4-quark-aa2.jpg

jcalvert

Enlightened
Good Morning Z,

Seems we are pretty much looking for the same type of EDC. As I'm sure you have found, the really awesome EDC-size lights are usually both CR123 powered or expensive. And I would like to find one that focuses as well. But no luck.

So in my own search, I have narrowed my choices to two models including one that operates on a single AA (or a 14500 rechargable as a second option). It's the Jetbeam Jet I Pro v3.0 that I will purchase. It's available in two emitter versions, an R2 (cool tint) or Q3 (warm) selling for $70. Instead of trying to describe the functions and features, I'll let the pros at Light Junction do it. Here's the link I used to help me make my decision and it includes a short video of its operation.

http://www.lightjunction.com/jetbeam-flashlights/jetbeam-jet-i/pro-v3.html

BTW, if you decide to purchase anything fron LJ, don't forget to add the CPFSAVE12 discount code to get a 12% discount as a CPF member.

I hope this helps until we find that one particular light we are both looking for.

All the best,
John

tylernt

Enlightened
i'm looking for an AA (1 or 2) based flashlight like the RRT-0 - alternatives to RRT-0. Water resistant (ipx8), ring ui, solid (resistance to shock and all that), with a low mode for runtime, and a good throw on high.
I, too, am picky about the UI. I have a Fenix L1T, which doesn't get much love here, but it has a nice, simple UI -- click on / click off, twist for hi/lo. An L2T is also available if you want a higher hi.

Zflashlight

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, sorry to reply so late.. I had some trouble with my connection.

Anyway, it seems i am now more confused about what to buy. Definitely like the RRT-0, but i have a hard time justifying its price. It's like that ring makes it jewelry :p. That hasn't stopped me in the past, but it will take time to accept it and ultimately pay for it.

One thing i'm not sure about is if i runs on 14500 besides AA and CR123. I think i saw reference to that somewhere in this forum, but perhaps the earlier R2 version. It would look better when it's time to buy it or not. Anyone know?

jcalvert, thank you for the sugestion, it is cheaper, but does not seem as advanced as the RRT-0, judging by Jetbeam's numbers. And for that price, i'm looking at 2xAA flashlights like Dereelight Javelin or Eagletac P20A2 MKII, whichever throws more. I need to see what my dog keeps chasing at night.

tylernt, nice light judging by forarevka's pictures. But two modes seem limiting. There are times when high is too high, low too low. I know it seems picky, but i have to sort all these lights somehow! :candle:

cistallus, that Sunwayman does seem to have an AA version, got to look into that. Thank you for rounding up those lights! Really helpful!
Is the ZebraLight SC50+ floody like the 501w i see in fonarevka? (it's he only place i can actually see the lights in action)

Chevy-SS, you know, i scratched the Quarks at first because of that tactical UI. It's what i was trying to avoid. Only two predefined modes. For a police officer, it may just fit though. I don't know.
In any case it seems like a good light. I'll keep an eye on the regular version.

Now i see why many of you keep buying lights. So many to choose from, and all so different. What a headache..

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hello everyone, sorry to reply so late.. I had some trouble with my connection.

Anyway, it seems i am now more confused about what to buy. Definitely like the RRT-0, but i have a hard time justifying its price. It's like that ring makes it jewelry :p. That hasn't stopped me in the past, but it will take time to accept it and ultimately pay for it.

One thing i'm not sure about is if i runs on 14500 besides AA and CR123. I think i saw reference to that somewhere in this forum, but perhaps the earlier R2 version. It would look better when it's time to buy it or not. Anyone know?

jcalvert, thank you for the sugestion, it is cheaper, but does not seem as advanced as the RRT-0, judging by Jetbeam's numbers. And for that price, i'm looking at 2xAA flashlights like Dereelight Javelin or Eagletac P20A2 MKII, whichever throws more. I need to see what my dog keeps chasing at night.

tylernt, nice light judging by forarevka's pictures. But two modes seem limiting. There are times when high is too high, low too low. I know it seems picky, but i have to sort all these lights somehow! :candle:

cistallus, that Sunwayman does seem to have an AA version, got to look into that. Thank you for rounding up those lights! Really helpful!
Is the ZebraLight SC50+ floody like the 501w i see in fonarevka? (it's he only place i can actually see the lights in action)

Chevy-SS, you know, i scratched the Quarks at first because of that tactical UI. It's what i was trying to avoid. Only two predefined modes. For a police officer, it may just fit though. I don't know.
In any case it seems like a good light. I'll keep an eye on the regular version.

Now i see why many of you keep buying lights. So many to choose from, and all so different. What a headache..

Hey Z,

Of all the lights you mentioned as possibilities for your needs, I have experience with only one, the EagleTac. If having a light with last mode memory including low or moonlight modes is as important to you as it is with me, I have to inform you that the ET does not have the option to start up on low. You either have to click it on in the medium mode with the bezel loosened (which IMO is too close to max) or you have max available when the bezel is tightened. So if you want to use the light around others after bedtime, you'll probably wake someone up when the light is set to either medium or max! If not for this issue, the P20 would be in my line-up.

Also, when I first starting searching for my first light, I was intially averse to specialty batteries, but after some research, I found that purchasing CR123s in bulk (10-20+ at a time) was not only cost effective, the Lithium-ions have several benefits over the traditional alkalines. Then I added recargeable AW 18650s with a charger to become more green. After all that, I bought my first light last July, the Fenix TA21 (which cistallus mentioned) because of the selector ring which is great to use one-handed. At 6.5" long, it's a bit longer than some like, but as a bedside light and defensive tool, it's still my favorite overall light, even though I have now added an Olight M20S as a second general purpose/defensive light, a 4/Sevens Maelstrom G5 as a combo GP/thrower light and finally a Tiablo A10-G for a dedicated thrower.

BTW, I decided against the Jetbeam after all, in favor of the Olight M20S.

I hope this has been helpful!

John

Zflashlight

Newly Enlightened
jcalvert, i see your point. But they aren't rechargeable. And i'm still weary of those :poof: images i see in this forum. I never saw an AA go poof, nimh or alkaline, and i like that record :D
I like that the RRT-0 can do those besides AA, but AA is my comfort zone..

Sunwayman M10A R5 for 1 AA battery, M20A R5 for 2 AA batteries. And there are bigger flashlights for 3xAA and 4xAA, M30A and M40A.

M10A R5
1.5V AA (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium) battery
AA in lithium? Never saw one, how is it called, or what brands are there?

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
jcalvert, i see your point. But they aren't rechargeable. And i'm still weary of those :poof images i see in this forum. I never saw an AA go poof, nimh or alkaline, and i like that record :D
I like that the RRT-0 can do those besides AA, but AA is my comfort zone..

Sunwayman M10A R5 for 1 AA battery, M20A R5 for 2 AA batteries. And there are bigger flashlights for 3xAA and 4xAA, M30A and M40A.

M10A R5

AA in lithium? Never saw one, how is it called, or what brands are there?

Z,

I'm with ya on the safety issues with having my two young children in the house. However, the CR123s (aka CR123 primaries) that I'm referring to aren't the rechargeable version. So there basically like AAs with several benefits beyond. Rechargeable CR123's are know as RCR123s and those are the ones we've read that could have safety issues.

Just in case the CR123s become of interest, rather than paying $6.00+ for a two pack of Duracells at the corner store, I started buying Battery Station brand (made in the U.S.) online. Many brands exist, but the very experienced CPF members strongly suggest buying U.S. manufactured CR123s due to their quality control standards. Buying say 20+ at a time, I have plenty of stock to last quite awhile (with a 10 year shelf life), and I think I paid like $1.30 a piece. If you stick w/ AAs, consider buying those online as well for great cost savings.

If you want the Li Ion AAs, Energizer makes them readily available at the corner store in primary and rechargeable. We as a family, tried the Energizer AA rechargeables because we were going through AAs like crazy when our Wii game system was getting a ton of use. But they just didn't hold a charge for very long and we got tired of always replacing batteries in the Wii game controllers. I hope I've adressed some of your questions and concerns.

John

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Santa, you need a reply from an equally polite Canadian before you get jumped on: EDC = EveryDay Carry, something you keep on your person at all times, perhaps even during including surgery and intimate moments- depending of course on what you can get away with with your doctor and your loved one.

PS: and I've been good all year. Any Surefire in my stocking, no matter how large and expensive, would be welcome.

Last edited:

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
Santa, you need a reply from an equally polite Canadian before you get jumped on: EDC = EveryDay Carry, something you keep on your person at all times, perhaps even during including surgery and intimate moments- depending of course on what you can get away with with your doctor and your loved one.

PS: and I've been good all year. Any Surefire in my stocking, no matter how large and expensive, would be welcome.

Thanks man. :)

I don't see why anyone would jump on me for asking this, it's impossible for someone new to the forum to understand what all these acronyms are, unless a new member happens to be a good mind reader, psychic or whatever you want to call it.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened

I don't see why anyone would jump on me for asking this, it's impossible for someone new to the forum to understand what all these acronyms are, unless a new member happens to be a good mind reader, psychic or whatever you want to call it.

Even with such a noble group of fellow enthusiasts, I have nonetheless been stunned from time to time by sharp responses to my humble questions. The only thing I can liken it to is a novice trying to speak French to someone in Paris- some Parisians think the language and their basic culture is universal. You might want to look to see if there is still a separate EDC website; they discuss everything under the sun you could possibly EDC. I used to look in at times but they seemed to have shut down the last time I tried.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
I'm with ya on the safety issues with having my two young children in the house. However, the CR123s (aka CR123 primaries) that I'm referring to aren't the rechargeable version. So there basically like AAs with several benefits beyond. Rechargeable CR123's are know as RCR123s and those are the ones we've read that could have safety issues.
There are basically two RCR123s as they can be the 3.7v (about 4.2 v hot off charger) that you may be thinking of only and not also the lesser common 3.0v (about 3.6-7 hot of charger) ones.

A common term you may read here in relation to EDC is "Two is one, one is none".

jcalvert

Enlightened

Dear Santa,

Can I be the jumper, after all, I was almost born Canadian in Sarnia.

What the heck do ya mean what's an EDC, whadda from Canada or something, eh hoser! LOL!
:welcome: Seriously, welcome to CPF, nobody welcomed poor me. :mecry:

John

Vormav

Newly Enlightened
another good EDC light Is the fenix E20, about $30 on amazon, its 100 lumens of brightness, and you can rotate the head to alternate between spot and flood. Runs on 2 AA batteries, the only thing it's missing is a pocket clip, but for me it didn't matter because I keep it inside my pocket anyways.

jcalvert

Enlightened
There are basically two RCR123s as they can be the 3.7v (about 4.2 v hot off charger) that you may be thinking of only and not also the lesser common 3.0v (about 3.6-7 hot of charger) ones.

Flash,

You are correct that I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

John