Introducing -- The Vari-Needle !!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
As the title suggests, this Space Needle mod features variable output via a rotating dimmer -- introducing: The Vari-Needle (VN)!

Ever sit around the campfire with your Space Needle II, illuminating the trees in the distance every time you heard something, only to blind yourself later when turning it on to find your way to the bathroom? I have been reading with great interest the apparent desire among many to have a truly dimmable Luxeon flashlight, so as is the MR Bulk way, I just went ahead and did it. Many told me it couldn't be done, that there was no potentiometer able to handle 9 volts worth of power and yet be small enough to fit inside a handheld flashlight.

This is no click-it-to-get-another-level setup, it in fact possesses truly infinitely variable output, going from a maximum of 5,000 (I'm using a 5W U3V HD) down to a low of 270 lux.

Here is the Vari-Needle in a Mag 2D host, lined up against the current benchmark production 5W light, the SureFire KL4:

fb4ef3e8.jpg

And here are the beamshots (with 2.95V on my DMM from each of the VN's somewhat-used SF 123s) as shown against my sloped living room ceiling from about 20 feet below, with the VN set on dimmest output and widest focus with black hole just beginning to appear (all shots with Vari-Needle on the right):

fb4ef3e9.jpg

The VN's very dim spill beam was actually much bigger but the brightness of the KL4 overwhelmed the Mavica's auto white balance.

Then the same shot but with VN on brightest output:

fb4ef3ed.jpg

You can see the hole-y artifacts from the Mag's reflector just beginning to appear.

Now for the tight spot focus shots -- here is the VN on tightest focus but on dimmest setting:

fb4ef3eb.jpg

And here is what the Space Needle is known for, on tightest focus and brightest setting:

fb4ef03e.jpg

The best thing is that whenever you turn it on, the VN remains at whatever brightness it was last set on, no pesky clicking through a whole series of settings.

And here's a close-up of the switch:

fb4ef3e7.jpg

Now I gotta go find me a nice lookin' cap to cover up that ugly silver stalk...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, Charlie. Um, that switch might make the light not waterproof anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

very cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Do you have access to smaller, prettier switch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Simply amazing. Very Very functional.

I will just get it over with, and apologize now for copying this idea in a month or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Tomas

Banned
There are mil-spec nuts that would make that water-resistant - they have a silicone nipple like thing with a hole in the center that fits snugly around the shaft. With a knob on the shaft, the seal is not visible (it's under the knob).

I used to get them a one of the local surplus stores (since out of business) along with a lot of other "things."

Since the B-52's I worked on had bunches of those sealing nuts for switches and controls, I assume they are probably late 40's and newer vintage.

Some of the black anodized knobs from those '52's would look great there, too.

Neat conversion, Charlie!

T_sig6.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Turt and Tomas, thank you kindly.

shiftd, I dunno, I never took a Mag diving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But the smaller potentiometers I found were all rated at milli or micro watts...

jtice -- cut-off!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
great work! THAT is what im talkin' about!

i have been experimenting with a 0-25 ohm rotary linear variable resistor like the one you used in the pics. i have been testing 1w luxeons. this resistor works very well with direct drive, because as bat juice falls, you can simply turn it up a little to get the same low-level-brightness.

another thing i have been testing is a multi position rotary switch, and assigning different resistors at each position to allow the dimming and on/off switch. this seems to work best with regulation. you can tune each step precisely to the level of brightness you need.
for me, that is off, 6-10 lux (perfect for reading with the light up close), 25 lux, 50 lux, and wide open.

notice it starts out dim so i dont blind myself at night?

Bob

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk:

Would it be cost effective to return my my SN 2D to you for a retrofit with the pot?

It would seem that this would also allow for the safer use of 6 @ * AA NiMHs in the light by dialing the pot down until the batteries'surface charge was dissipated.

As to water resistance, I have seen rubber shrouds over toggle switches on older dive lights, but never on a rotating pot. I remember building some hermetically welded 316 SST instrument cases for use in the oil patch back in the '70's where opposing holes on the outside and inside of the case had magnetically coupled rotating pot controls. This wasn't an inexpensive approach.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr.Bulk:

I just spent some time surfing pots and noticed the typically low current and wattage specs you mention. Pots handling 1.5 and 2 watts were typically described as "high power". Pots handling 5 V - 12 V were also described as "high voltage."

I find this curious in light of the commonly 600 Watt and premium 1000 Watt 120 V AC rheostat lighting controls in many of our homes.

What voltage and current ranges is your Vari-Needle pot specced for?

Tomas

Banned
Lemlux, those home units generally aren't simple rheostats, but SCR's or similar controlled by a low-power pot. They work, of course, on AC circuits only, by letting through only part of each half-cycle. The waveshape let through is severly distorted and requires decent filtering to prevent electrical interference with everything else nearby or on circuit.

The DC equivalent would be what PercaDan mentioned above.

T_sig6.gif

rookie

Enlightened
Very very nice.......

I think this is the light that I have been waiting for....I have really struggled not getting the Space Needle II and now I can't wait til the Variable Needle becomes available...

Bright when needed, and dim when run time is important.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Pedalin, I am actually thinking that perhaps a simple two-position switch is enough. Last night I found myself using high or low, hardly anything in between.

Percs, yes that is what was suggested to me by dat2zip -- but then I'd have to fiddle with TWO devices/circuits...perhaps a bit too complex for my simple-minded mods...

Clark, I'd have to tear up just about the entire light, punch out the epoxied-in heatsink, cut down the switch tube, re-wire, etc., to get the dimmer circuit in there. Want to simply buy this one? And yeah, the particular dimmers that would fit this application in a straight-on full-power way are kinda hard to find. I stumbled upon this one at -- of all places -- R/S!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomas:

Thanks for the education.

Charlie:
I was afraid you'd say the retrofit wasn't worth doing. I guess I'll sit on the side line for the moment.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Will that low setting improve run time considerably? Also, is there a problem running the Space Needle II with 6 NiMH AA's?

Bill

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
At dimmest setting the VN ran ice cold all night. Did not do an official "run time test" due to starting w/half-used batteries plus me getting bored and falling asleep anyway...but this morning it was still going, although turning the switch all the way up then caused the light to die off.

LukeK

Enlightened
Mr Bulk -- that is fantastic. I myself own a fake SNII (homemade 6D mod) and I would love to add that potentiometer. Would you be willing to sell me one of those potentiometers or, as you suggested, a simple two position switch?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
LukeK,

The pot is available at R/S (don't have the part # right now as I'm at work) and there is supposed to be a two-position switch out there, the scent of which I'm tracking down at the moment...stay tuned!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way cool! Maybe the switch stalk could be trimmed down a little?

Latest posts