surefire won Naval Surface Warfare Center contract

Kraid

Enlightened
Damn me for being a Submarine Warfare guy! They only give us these 2xAA Smith and Wesson twisties that make 2xAA Mags seem AMAZING!

jellydonut

Enlightened
I thought the Hellfighter was an HID lamp - why does the article mention LED and 30Hz strobe?

Surefire's press release page hasn't been updated since December 2009 so it's no help.:mad:

Imon

Enlightened
Damn me for being a Submarine Warfare guy! They only give us these 2xAA Smith and Wesson twisties that make 2xAA Mags seem AMAZING!

So it gets pretty dark in there?

I've always imagined it'd be different from that movie das boot where they use red light everywhere but that was WWII.

Kraid

Enlightened
Lol! Well, its brighter (and much more cramped) than it is in the movies. But still, a few overhead lights don't do much for helping you see into the outboards and all of the gear, pipes and wires that run everywhere. And it gets REALLY dark when the nukes drop the power. It'd also come in handy in event of fire or flooding.

So we do use flashlights ALOT! This is one of the few places you can go where EVERYONE has a flashlight. And no one asks why you carry one. Although most folks only have Gerber flashlights and refer to my Malkoff MC-E as "The Sun" or "The God-beam". Lol!

But seriously, that Hellfighter is SWEET! I just wish that I got to play with it!

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

You've got to be kidding. They should give you guys HDS EDCs. Or SureFire E1Ls. What are they thinking? That's rhetorical The answer? Lowest Bidder....

If anyone REALLY needs a flashlight, and it has to work, every time, a submariner is that guy.

Kraid

Enlightened
Thanks, guys! I appreciate it! And yes, I do carry a Malkoff MC-E on a sub. I AM a flashaholic, remember! Lol! I use an FM-35 red filter for when we're "rigged for dark" .

So, I did some searching, these lights are our "Damage Control" lights that are strategically placed around the boat for emergency use only.
http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Ful...ht-with-Ring-Holder-and-Anti-Roll-Bar-2D-1952
I know that it says Circa 1952, but NO JOKE, these are them alright.

And for personal use the boat gave us these. (Guess I was wrong about them being twisty.)
http://www.getprice.com.au/SMITH-WE...XENON-FLASHLIGHT-TORCH-Gpnc_375--35528555.htm
I like how the website says "cheap" on it! Seriously the ugliest, ringyest beam EVER. I refused to accept it. Lol!

Illum

Flashaholic
HID in a sub? for what? its not like theres a ball room down there to light up...perhaps they were suggesting headlights hey?:nana:
I feel so stupid but I am laughing so hard after visualizing a Los-Angeles class sub with a huge light pod in front of its sonar dome resembling the honker of an elephant seal.

Last edited:

Kraid

Enlightened
Sub Headlights? Hey.... Now theres an idea! Theres probably some money to be had there! Maybe SureFire should call the Navy back up!

fyrstormer

Banned
Military submarining is all about stealth. I think a set of zillion-candlepower headlights would ruin that.

In other news, why am I not surprised NSWC awarded the contract to Surefire? It's not like there was much of a choice.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

:crackup: It seems to me like that might be the worst possible choice to make... I'm sure the brand name keeps the lights expensive, but the quality must be pretty bad.

How are living conditions on a submarine? Do they have wifi? :nana:
In other news, why am I not surprised NSWC awarded the contract to Surefire? It's not like there was much of a choice.

Seriously.... surefire has been making weapon lights longer than anybody, why am I not surprised by this? Surefire probably makes a lot more than 16M/year from general sales, remember surefire is the go-to company for gun owners and outdoorsmen and anyone else who wants a nice light who don't want to do the research before purchasing. Think about it, you could ask basically anyone what the company "surefire" does, and they will probably recognize it as a flashlight company, like maglite. Ask a random person what 4Sevens is, and they will say "what the hell are you talking about?"

kramer5150

Flashaholic
And for personal use the boat gave us these. (Guess I was wrong about them being twisty.)
http://www.getprice.com.au/SMITH-WE...XENON-FLASHLIGHT-TORCH-Gpnc_375--35528555.htm
I like how the website says "cheap" on it! Seriously the ugliest, ringyest beam EVER. I refused to accept it. Lol!

They issued you Chinese lights? IIRC all S&W branded lights are Asian origin. Isn't this against the Berry Amendment?

Surely you guys deserve better!!!
:thumbsup:

Back on topic...
Smart move going with SF. $16M in Surefires is $$$ well spent.