Surefire LX2 with Rechargeables

intense55

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am picking up this hobby again and looking to purchase an LX2.

I have an old L4 that uses a PILA 168S battery. Does anyone know if this battery will work in the LX2?

Also, what is the difference between the L2 and LX2?

Thanks.

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
Intense, welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with Pila battery designations but if it is a Li ion3.7 v 123 I have seen folks here go both ways as regards using them in an LX2. I have thus far been unwilling to risk frying mine. I can recommend the light though, I love mine. I am not familiar with the L2 so can't shed any light on differences, sorry.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the pila you mentioned is equivalent to the 17670 in which case it will not fit the LX2. Surefire have engineered their new bodies not to fit these cells.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Monkeyboy is correct.

Pila 168A = 18650
Pila 168S + 17670

The LX2 is completely different in every way from the old L2. The easiest way to get info on the LX2 is to visit the LX2 threads via the search function. Although it's possible to use certain rechargeable RCR123 cells, it will void the warranty. The AW 17670 doesn't fit in my LX2.

intense55

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies.

Can we assume all new Surefires including the 6PX and the G2X will not work with rechargeables 17670's? Can Surefire determine if rechargeables were used even if the light still works?

Latest posts