pocket thrower, modding a RRT-1?

h22

Newly Enlightened
I bought a RRT-2 a year or so ago, and after a few months use the lens fell off he LED. I replaced the XP-E with an XP-G (think i have that right). I tried putting some glow powder around the emmitter and basically it came out bad.

So I bought another small single 18650 cell light with an XPG emmitter, and am happy with it. But I want a pocket thrower to use as well.

So I am looking at the RRT-1 (larger reflector) and the smaller, brighter emmitter for throw.

What I am wondering though is, givven that these emmitters have been pumped up to 1.7 amps (deft) and the RRT-1(2) are only driving around 1 amp, has anyone tried to modify the driver to get more current to the die? I think 1.7amps would definatly be pushing it, but 1.4-1.5 might be doable if used apropreatly. When I had my orgional RRT-2 apart, I noticed a current sence resistor inline with the LED, im thinking that just changing this might work.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I've heard XPG's being pushed up as far as 1.4 amps before. But that extra current is mostly just burned up and produced heat. Its possible it could do 1.7 amps, but I wouldn't recomend it if you don't want to risk killing your LED. Be sure you have a solid heatsink, and that your LED is properly thermally mounted to it.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPGs ahve been driven over 2Amp w/o issues. Cree already up adjusted spec from 1A to 1.5A.

The XRE, which depends on heat sink, can be driven to 2Amp as well.
The plot below were done on my Mag Dagon Jr compact thrower.

It's bare led Arctic silver down to Mag C aluminum heat sink.
You can see that the lux maxed out at 1.9Amp.

If it's direct solder to copper heat sink, I'd expect the lux to go up
with the AMP pushed over two amps.

11111es.png

h22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I would stay with the XR-E, it is the stock LED in that light and is a smaller die, better throw.
My DEFT has an XR-E and is driven at 1.7 amps, but it is directly soldered to a copper heat-sink.
If I were to mod a RRT-1 i would not push it tht far, i think the heat generated would quickly get out of hand. But bumping it up 30-50% in current should't be too hard on things.

Interesting to see the XPE can do 2 amps! makes me wonder about hopping up my DEFT :naughty:, I would want a few spare emmitters though.....

Sunlight

Newly Enlightened
Keep us updated on what you do. I have one I want to mod if possible.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use anything other than an XRE-R2. Best LED for throw there is. Why do you think thats what comes in a DEFT? I and many others run them with AMC 7135 drivers at 1.4 Amps. That is a good level, not much to be gained above that in my opinion. As for the RRT-1....I wouldn't push it past 1 Amp. It is a really poorly designed/manufactured flashlight. It has a huge hole under the LED. Very poor heat-sinking. I've seen a number of people report burned LED's on the RRT-1 and RRT-2. Here's what mine looked like.

IMG_6667.jpg