Klarus        
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Default Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    The put those numbers in perspective, here are the FL-1 ratings for the SC50w:

SC50w on Hi1 on 14500: 140 estimated lumens
    SC50w on Hi1 on eneloop: 85 estimated lumens.
    FWIW, my H51w seem to be about 140 lumens @ Hi1 on eneloops. So that would seem like an improvement, which it is, however my fenix mc10 and jetbeam BK135a also seem to be about 140 lumens @ Hi on eneloops though those are cool white tint leds.

I have my highs setup to be H1 and H3 (lowest high), and with H3 ~ 85 lumens it is hard to appreciated there is around 2x as many lumens when I double click between them (runtimes also corroborate this). Weber–Fechner law in action.

Default Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

Well, a few months ago I thought Zebralight made the ugliest light in the world and would never own one!
    Well, now, after reading all these posts and all the (mostly) rave reviews, I've broken down and bought one!
    All I can do now, is keep reading reviews and wait for it to come. I just love how small it is!
    This light won't be leaving my pocket for a long time!
    Thanks everyone for helping me "see the light"!

I have a SC51 and I agree, it's a great light! Amazingly bright on eneloops and I like the UI. Does anyone know if the rubber switch cover can be replaced? It may never be an issue since the switch has very little movement and requires very little pressure, but it would be nice if it could be changed by the user. I emailed ZL but got no response.

Hello guys,
    For newbies, is there an article to fully illustrate different brand's advantages and dis? I am about to start collections, but dont know how to start off.
    Thanks.
    Danky

Quote Originally Posted by dankyball View Post
    Hello guys,
    For newbies, is there an article to fully illustrate different brand's advantages and dis? I am about to start collections, but dont know how to start off.
    Thanks.
    Danky
    It is difficult to maintain an updated comparison, since models change rapidly. My last 1xAA round-up review predates the SC50/51 lights, but can be found here:

1xAA Round-up Review - Part IV - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

I am afraid I don't have time to keep these round-up reviews up to date. I suggest you check out the master review list in my signature for other lights that may interest you.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
    I have a SC51 and I agree, it's a great light! Amazingly bright on eneloops and I like the UI. Does anyone know if the rubber switch cover can be replaced? It may never be an issue since the switch has very little movement and requires very little pressure, but it would be nice if it could be changed by the user. I emailed ZL but got no response.
    It appears to me that switch & rubber cover are all integrated into the light engine & are not user serviceable. The chrome ring is pressed into the light & holds that all in place.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

That's what I thought. It wouldn't stop me from buying more of them, though. I love these lights!

Just wanted to share something interesting that I have discovered with my zebralights. I currently have three different models; H31, SC30, SC51w. I found the following information for my SC51w on zebralights website, and have changed the font color of the important information to red:

Light Output
    • High: H1 172 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 86 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 120 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
    • Medium: M1 26 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 7Lm (39 hrs)
    • Low: L1 2.2 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.18 Lm (16 days)
    • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.
    • 172, 120, 26, 7 and 2.2 Lumen output are current regulated. 86 and 0.18 Lumen output are PWM generated.

This light has 3 main levels (High, Medium, and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.

• Basic Operation
      • Short click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
      • Long click (press and hold for about 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low.

• Advanced Operation and Configuration
      • Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.
      • Press and hold to cycle from Low to High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
      • Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections (except the strobe) for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
      • The second sub-level of the High can be configured after 6 double clicks. Double click (startng with the 7th) to cycle and select different brightness levels or strobes. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-level of the High are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.

This suggests for the SC51w that you can obviously choose from different settings for the H2 mode, which even includes a slow strobe. I have tried this on all of my zebralights and have confirmed that they all have these hidden settings to choose from, even though it is not indicated on the product descriptions! Just wanted to pass on my discovery for those who may not have already tried this, and I wonder if all zebralights have these hidden modes?
    Last edited by Flucero28; 03-18-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Flashaholic*

Hmmm....I can't get that to work on my SC30w. I'll try it on the SC60 and H31 next.

Just in case there is confusion, switch the light on into the highest mode. Then just double click switching between high 1 and high 2. On the seventh double click you should see the light begin to cycle through the different options each time you double click. Once you pick the desired High 2 mode simply turn off the light and it will be saved as the default high 2 mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Flucero28 View Post
    Just in case there is confusion, switch the light on into the highest mode. Then just double click switching between high 1 and high 2. On the seventh double click you should see the light begin to cycle through the different options each time you double click. Once you pick the desired High 2 mode simply turn off the light and it will be saved as the default high 2 mode.
    Except in the case of strobe. Strobe can not be saved as the default high mode. It will be saved, but as H2, accessible by dbl clicking once you are in high.
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me View Post
    Except in the case of strobe. Strobe can not be saved as the default high mode. It will be saved, but as H2, accessible by dbl clicking once you are in high.
    Isn't that the case for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by srfreddy View Post
    Isn't that the case for everything?
    Well not everything but most probably, but I'm not familiar with all the lights that have a strobe mode. I was just clarifying what you indicated. I have 2 JetBeams that will remember the strobe mode, as well as a NiteCore, so there may be others.

Tried the trick with my SC50w+, with no changes.

Geoff

Works just fine on my SC51 and my SC60w. Hey selfbuilt. Any crystal ball visions of your reviewing the SC60/SC60w anytime? Would love to see your review of that series! Most of the lights in my meager collection are the result of one of your reviews. You do a superb job my friend! I read all your reviews, even if it's not a light I'm considering for purchase. The SC51 was such a light. Hadn't really considered it until I read your review. Them BAM! I'm poorer now! lol! Excellent work. My hats off to you!
    Jeff

Well not everything but most probably, but I'm not familiar with all the lights that have a strobe mode. I was just clarifying what you indicated. I have 2 JetBeams that will remember the strobe mode, as well as a NiteCore, so there may be others.
    My DST TLR Ti will remember it as well. It will save it in any of the three programmable positions you desire.
    No, I'm not new. My whole profile was lost in the great crash of 2011.

It's rare for most multi-level selectable lights to allow a strobe mode as the first mode accessed (i.e. to be set as default). Case in point - my recent review of the Thrunite Neutron series shows mode memory is present for the head-loosened state, but not the head-tightened state (where strobe is located). In contrast, most fully programmable lights allow this, as it is part of their programming structure (e.g. Jetbeam IBS, Novatac/HDS/Ra, LiteFlux, Armytek Predator, Ray D1, etc.). Nitecore is bit more variable, depending on the model.

Zebralight falls into their intermediate category that is somewhat programmable, but still really a selectable multi-level light. But ZL also has a tendency to change feature sets between model revisions, so you never know what may be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Prechtl View Post
    My DST TLR Ti will remember it as well. It will save it in any of the three programmable positions you desire.
    That's because the DST TLR Ti uses the original Jetbeam IBS circuit. See my review here.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

I am new to this forum. Thanks to all for the reviews and well informed questions and answers. At first I thought these lights were ugly but now not so much since mine should be in my mailbox any day.

Works fine with my SC51.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
    Works fine with my SC51.
    Please enlighten us as to what series of clicks enables strobe mode to be turned on with a single click from off. Mine won't do it, and it even states on the Zebralight website under their Features and Specifications section that this is not an option.

° Advanced Operation and Configuration

Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections (except the strobe) for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.

Please enlighten us as to what series of clicks enables strobe mode to be turned on with a single click from off.

I shouldn't have quoted you as I was just agreeing that the strobe works fine as the default high second mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
    I shouldn't have quoted you as I was just agreeing that the strobe works fine as the default high second mode.
    Ok, I now see why I was confused.

Just thought I would update that I have now gotten my SC51 from illuminationgear! Highly recommend them! Free shipping and pretty quick delivery time.
    I totally love the light! Perfect EDC light! I really like how I don't have to use a clicky on the end of the light to turn it on. For EDC purposes there is no reason that this light needs a rear clicky, and I am a huge fan of the rear forward clicky! Zebralight has made a believer out of me!
    I can't believe the light that comes out of such a small package!

Ahh...finally got my SC51, it took 6 weeks...but it was worth it!
    Boy is this thing small and bright.
    And best of all...perfectly centered LED with no clouding....I'm happy again.
    Rej...beginning my journey again...

I just pulled the trigger in one SC51w... but I have a doubt:

Here in Selfbuilt´s review he said: "Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral)...", but there is no SC50w in Goinggear website. I bought a SC51w. Is it the same light?? Or is it a new model?

By reading the specs in GG website, high mode of their SC51w looks higher than Selfbuilt´s sample...

Another question: what kind of LED my new SC51w has?

Thanks!

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

Quote Originally Posted by Federal LG View Post

Here in Selfbuilt´s review he said: "Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral)...", but there is no SC50w in Goinggear website. I bought a SC51w. Is it the same light?? Or is it a new model?

By reading the specs in GG website, high mode of their SC51w looks higher than Selfbuilt´s sample...

Thanks!
    It's the new one, the SC51 except neutral. So its probably R2 ish, maybe Q5?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Federal LG View Post

Thanks!
    Selfbuilt's review was done before the production SC51 & SC51W hit the commercial market, so his measurements & specs don't necessarily match up exactly to what is currently available. I *think* that the production SC51 has a XP-G R5 and the SC51W (actually more of a "neutral") has a XP-G R4. This also equates nicely to the 7% output difference between the two.

I have both, and the SC51 is very-slightly brighter, but you won't notice the diff. in real use (unless comparing them side-by-side), and the tint of the SC51W is definitely nicer IMO.

Both are fabulous lights, and I'm happy w/ each!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glow_Worm View Post
    Selfbuilt's review was done before the production SC51 & SC51W hit the commercial market, so his measurements & specs don't necessarily match up exactly to what is currently available. I *think* that the production SC51 has a XP-G R5 and the SC51W (actually more of a "neutral") has a XP-G R4. This also equates nicely to the 7% output difference between the two.
    That's right, my review was written when the SC50w (XP-E) was currently shipping and the SC51 (XP-G) was in development. The currently shipping SC51w should be a neutral XP-G, but I don't know what the output bin would be (ZL typically doesn't specify).

Great!

Thanks for the info! Can´t wait to get mine...

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

So, has anyone recieved an SC51 or H51 with faster PWM on L2 yet? Mine is still in the 40hz range I would estimate.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast