Jetbeam        
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Default Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

My SC51 received about 1 week ago, direct from China....shows no visible PWM in any of the levels, that I can tell.
    Rej...beginning my journey again...

Default Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

I think they're still busy figuring the SC600 and updated SC30 out... and the higher power SC60.

SC51 & H51 are cool white XP-G R4 not R5. The SC51w and H51w are R2 neutral whites which I think are from the Cree neutral white bins not the outdoor white bins so they have a bit more CRI 75 vs 70 for the outdoor.

I see your reveiw, I want it.
    Thanks for great reveiw.

I got my first Zebralight today. Itīs a SC51w. Iīm amazed with itīs quality! Machining is perfect and I love natural colored HA. Threads and tailcap are smooth and fits perfectly too. I love the electronic button too, with itīs soft touch.

Iīm shocked with itīs size. This thing is more smaller than I thought! By seeing it on pictures I thought it would be like a Surefire E1B, but itīs smaller... real tiny. Perfect for EDC!

Beam pattern is perfect. No rings, only a huge hotspot with soft transition to spill. Itīs powerful too, with 172 lumens on high mode (warm tint).

I gotta say... Iīm a huge Surefire fan, but Zebralight, in my opinion, is the "non american" flashlight that almost reach Surefire machining quality. Itīs the number one in chinese lights for sure!

I am really, really impressed with itīs overall quality and tiny size...

Last edited by Federal LG; 05-09-2011 at 05:25 PM.

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

I just got a sc51w and sc51 as well this light is spectacular especially the "w" version. Thanks for the time put into the reviews that make it easier to purchase lights

Recently recieved my SC51. the 200 Lumen output is simply awesome. Build quality is to spec, LED is centred and not cloudy, fit and finish is superb, waterproof, beam pattern is perfect.

Unfortunately the PWM is noticable when waving the light around. Very barely noticable when actually being used properly. Not really an issue as there are plenty of non PWM modes. Either way, Zebralight have stated that all their newer lights will be purely current regulated, so thats gonna be sweeeeeet.

Last edited by curry__muncha; 05-31-2011 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added pic
    Four wheels move the body.. Two wheels move the soul

Popcorn Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

i also want to buy that extraordinary EDC.
    i struggling between SC51 and H51.
    Which is better ?
    And which exact typ-nr has the strongest LUMENS with eneloop on HIGH-MODE ?

do i have to order it from china ? or is there any shop in the EU-region ?

thank you.

or is there any stronger AA light out there (eneloop) ?

Your question is the best edc and for that my choice is the SC51, which is my edc light. However if your question was the best headlamp, then the H51 would be my choice.
    I think for an edc light you want a little more throw and a more concentrated beam.

Do any of you guys still prefer the Fenix LD10 over the Zeabralight SC51 and why?
    We mostly come out at night...mostly

Quote Originally Posted by igoman View Post
    Do any of you guys still prefer the Fenix LD10 over the Zeabralight SC51 and why?
    I don't. I don't think the LD10 can touch the 51's versatility.
    Last edited by Russ Prechtl; 06-01-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    No, I'm not new. My whole profile was lost in the great crash of 2011.

My LD10 has been gifted away

What about using the sc51 like a camp lantern? I need a light that I can use in a tent or on a table to stand like a candle to light up the room. I know that there are diffusers for the LD10 that you can attach to use the flashlight as a lantern, but what about the SC51?
    We mostly come out at night...mostly

"Voltages: 0.7V - 2.5V. 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported."

I'm still not clear, is using 14500s OK or not, in the SC51?

Some people seem to be fine with it, some wouldn't do it. Has anyone using 14500s had trouble with SC51 LED or circuit damage?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbright View Post
    "Voltages: 0.7V - 2.5V. 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported."

I'm still not clear, is using 14500s OK or not, in the SC51?

Some people seem to be fine with it, some wouldn't do it. Has anyone using 14500s had trouble with SC51 LED or circuit damage?
    A few users here have reported success with 14500's in the 51's, but I am not willing to try it with my H51w. I think you'd be sacrificing a lot of efficiency and risk frying the light, let alone voiding the warranty.

If you really want a ZL that is 14500 capable, get one of the SC50's... they have them on clearance right now. My main EDC is a 50w+ and I don't see any reason why I should 'upgrade' to a 51w. I am considering getting a 51c though; but I'm a neutral snob and don't do ANY cool tints, so I'm biased.
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Glow_Worm View Post
    the SC51 is very-slightly brighter, but you won't notice the diff. in real use (unless comparing them side-by-side), and the tint of the SC51W is definitely nicer IMO.
    After quite a lot of reading up on this forum, I think that the SC51 sounds like my ideal light! I really can't think of anything I would change, apart from maybe (in an ideal world) making parts user replaceable. But, the question remains - should I go for the cool or warm version? Does the warm version offer any practical advantages, apart from the 'nicer' colour? Is a case of although the light is slightly dimmer, it's easier to pick things out with a colour temperature closer to daylight?

The main use it will see is an EDC, where usability is more important than absolute brightness (as typically I'm never far from a source of 1-2000 lumens), but there is part of me that likes the 'wow factor' of a bright light in a small package! If anybody could come up with some side by side beamshots of the two different SC51 versions (I'm slightly leaning towards the SC51w at the moment) that would be most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mat_the_cat View Post
    Does the warm version offer any practical advantages, apart from the 'nicer' colour?
    Well, the Med modes have longer runtimes on the w version vs the cool. And you'll not likely notice the difference in output between the two. Cool vs the warm. And the Med modes have some very useful output for intermediate needs. It's surprising how much light the 26 Lms actually is on M1. I use that setting a lot on my SC51w. Runtime for that mode with the new XX Eneloop is 15 hrs. That's an amazing amount of light and runtime for a single AA light.
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

Quote Originally Posted by mat_the_cat View Post
    After quite a lot of reading up on this forum, I think that the SC51 sounds like my ideal light! I really can't think of anything I would change, apart from maybe (in an ideal world) making parts user replaceable. But, the question remains - should I go for the cool or warm version? Does the warm version offer any practical advantages, apart from the 'nicer' colour? Is a case of although the light is slightly dimmer, it's easier to pick things out with a colour temperature closer to daylight?

The main use it will see is an EDC, where usability is more important than absolute brightness (as typically I'm never far from a source of 1-2000 lumens), but there is part of me that likes the 'wow factor' of a bright light in a small package! If anybody could come up with some side by side beamshots of the two different SC51 versions (I'm slightly leaning towards the SC51w at the moment) that would be most helpful.
    I just received the cools SC51, and it's a beautiful tint. It's actually a creamy white light. I compared it to my Quark Mini CR2 and the ZL is much warmer. I think mine is the perfect tint. But, I'm not a fan of real warm tints.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me View Post
    Well, the Med modes have longer runtimes on the w version vs the cool.
    Thanks for that, I'd missed the subtle difference in the specs. As I don't generally like normal LED lights, and flourescent lighting I think I will go for the w version.

I'm interested in the SC51W. I would like confirmation though as whether or not the pwm is noticeable [as in: annoying] on low-low or medium modes?

Some are saying yes, others are saying not noticeable.

cheers,
    Marc

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by B0wz3r View Post
    If you really want a ZL that is 14500 capable, get one of the SC50's... they have them on clearance right now. My main EDC is a 50w+ and I don't see any reason why I should 'upgrade' to a 51w. I am considering getting a 51c though; but I'm a neutral snob and don't do ANY cool tints, so I'm biased.

Did you get the 51C and are you using primaries or some other battery?
    Oveready Boss 35 & 70; Quark MKIII QK16L; LensLight Mini; HDS Rotary 325 XP-L, Clicky 170W; ZebraLight SC 600 MK III HI, SC600W, SC62W, SC60W, SC52W, SC51C, SC5W; EagleTac NW D25LC2 Tactical, NW D25LC2, NW D25A, NW D25C, DX30LC2 Clicky, DX3B Mini; Nitecore D10R2; Elzetta Alpha; Jaxman E3; Reylight Ti

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Marc999 View Post
    I'm interested in the SC51W. I would like confirmation though as whether or not the pwm is noticeable [as in: annoying] on low-low or medium modes?

cheers,
    Marc
    I don't normally mind PWM, but I do find the L2 level to be annoying (it's a flicker right on the edge of my awareness that makes me think my eyes are playing tricks on me).

The PWM on the other level (H2?) is unnoticeable. I can barely detect it if I'm looking at it, but it has no negative effect during use.

--flatline

cheers,
    Marc
    The PWM on the SC51w doesn't bother me at all. Even though I do have some older lights with PWM that do bother me.
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me View Post
    The PWM on the SC51w doesn't bother me at all. Even though I do have some older lights with PWM that do bother me.
    Thanks for the feedback. I also heard back from a Zebralight rep. [from zebralight customer service] in regards to PWM. Apparently they have moved the 2 PWM modes to 2 lesser used light settings [M2 & H2] as well as increased the PWM frequency. So now the 0.18 setting is current controlled.

This is good news. Thanks Marc. Not going to immediately move up from my SC50, but now it's a possibility.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    I don't normally mind PWM, but I do find the L2 level to be annoying (it's a flicker right on the edge of my awareness that makes me think my eyes are playing tricks on me).

The PWM on the other level (H2?) is unnoticeable. I can barely detect it if I'm looking at it, but it has no negative effect during use.

--flatline

Regarding durability, has anyone here accidentally dropped their sc51 or sc51w on the ground? I'd like to know if it can withstand some abuse like this.

Regarding durability, has anyone here accidentally dropped their sc51 or sc51w on the ground? I'd like to know if it can withstand some abuse like this.
    If its the same with SC50w I did, dropped mine more than 3feet on a solid marble floor. It survived with av few dents near the swith and tail.
    IAN2381
    Surefire C2, Surefire Z2/Zebralight H51/DQG AA SS NW/T10/RC-G2/TANK 501 SS/Ultrafire A30B NW XML/Solarforce L2T/Akoray K-106/Fenix E01.....

Flashaholic*

I have dropped both mo my SC50 multiple times onto concrete & asphalt and less firm surfaces and they continue to work as advertised.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

+1

Unfortunately... because I really hate when gravity pulls my lights onto the floor!

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

Hey guys,

I just received the SC51W. Great light, lots of fun. I'm still trying to get the button press timing down pact to access low mode without accidentally releasing too quickly and getting high mode. Nervous thumb!

Could someone please explain how to access 1 of 2 brightness settings for H2 mode? 86/120 lm? It mentions 6 double clicks; is that a total of 12 clicks [6 doubles] and then double click again to get 86 or 120? Or is one of those H2 settings the strobe?

thanks,
    Marc

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast