Quark Lumens Question

recDNA

Flashaholic
I put together a Quark 123 X 2 titanium body (got a great sale price) with a Quark 123 neutral white head and plan to run it on an AW 17670 Li Ion battery. Has anyone ever computed otf lumens for a setup like that? I really did do a search and found all kinds of reviews and comments but they just use 4Sevens numbers rather than determining the actual OTF in a sphere.

I would imagine the numbers would be very close to a Quark 123 neutral white using an RCR123 battery (although it would be nice if it does a little better with a 17670 but I can't even find measured otf values for that either).

I did find a review of the Q123 X 2 using a 17670 and results were terrible but the 17670 doesn't really produce adequate voltage for that head for any length of time.

I know it will produce a nice beam anyway.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure sounds good though I relly like the ww and nw quarks great tints hope it goes well

red02

Enlightened
I put together a Quark 123 X 2 titanium body (got a great sale price) with a Quark 123 neutral white head and plan to run it on an AW 17670 Li Ion battery. Has anyone ever computed otf lumens for a setup like that? I really did do a search and found all kinds of reviews and comments but they just use 4Sevens numbers rather than determining the actual OTF in a sphere.

I would imagine the numbers would be very close to a Quark 123 neutral white using an RCR123 battery (although it would be nice if it does a little better with a 17670 but I can't even find measured otf values for that either).

I did find a review of the Q123 X 2 using a 17670 and results were terrible but the 17670 doesn't really produce adequate voltage for that head for any length of time.

I know it will produce a nice beam anyway.

I could have sworn that this was already discussed in one of the many Q threads... maybe not.

Before I abanonded Li-Ions and all of incarnations thereof I had an XPE Q123x2 and ran it exclusively with a 17670. Although I rarely ran it on turbo the high was nearly the same (if memory serves) as with 2 fresh cr123s. I was not disappointed with the brightness at all. I do not have a Q nor any Li-Ions, so no test to that effect is possible.

The Q will stay in regulation (full output) for as long as the battery voltage stays above 3v IIRC. Of course since the other Q heads are regulated to lower voltage the full output time will be shorter, but the overall runtime longer. Once out of regulation you will see declining output.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I could have sworn that this was already discussed in one of the many Q threads... maybe not.

Before I abanonded Li-Ions and all of incarnations thereof I had an XPE Q123x2 and ran it exclusively with a 17670. Although I rarely ran it on turbo the high was nearly the same (if memory serves) as with 2 fresh cr123s. I was not disappointed with the brightness at all. I do not have a Q nor any Li-Ions, so no test to that effect is possible.

The Q will stay in regulation (full output) for as long as the battery voltage stays above 3v IIRC. Of course since the other Q heads are regulated to lower voltage the full output time will be shorter, but the overall runtime longer. Once out of regulation you will see declining output.

You understand that I'm running a 1 X 123 head on a 2 X 123 body right? With the head I'm using I think 4.2 volts is the max. I read a review by one guy of the 123 X 2 on 17670 and he said it quickly dropped out of regulation on turbo and only produced about 105 lumens after 20 minutes.

With the 123 X 1 head I know I'll get at least what a Q123 X1 would produce but with the larger battery I hoped I might eek out a few more lumens. Of course voltage is the same so output may be identical to 1 X RCR123 which is about the same as 1 CR123 due to the regulated circuit.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not from a NW Quark, but it is of interest.

http://www.light-reviews.com/4sevens_quark123/ If I remember correctly, this guy has a sphere now.

A while back, I had a similar setup as you have. I had a NW 123 head on a 123^2 body and used a 17670. IMHO, around 170 OTF lumens. From my own use, around a hour of flat constant regulation before any signs of dimming with a 17670. It is a great setup as long as you dont forget and put in 2x123's. I now have a 123^2 XPE tactical and solely use a AW17670 in it with no regrets.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
You understand that I'm running a 1 X 123 head on a 2 X 123 body right? With the head I'm using I think 4.2 volts is the max. I read a review by one guy of the 123 X 2 on 17670 and he said it quickly dropped out of regulation on turbo and only produced about 105 lumens after 20 minutes.

With the 123 X 1 head I know I'll get at least what a Q123 X1 would produce but with the larger battery I hoped I might eek out a few more lumens. Of course voltage is the same so output may be identical to 1 X RCR123 which is about the same as 1 CR123 due to the regulated circuit.
Missed the part about the 123 head.

Classically more voltage = more brightness but regulation = constant output from x to y volts. Its probable that you won't get any extra output from a Li-ion cell.

entoptics

Enlightened
I don't know of a sphere number, but in theory, it should be exactly the same brightness as a 2xAA Quark or 1x123. 4.2 volt head means 209 OTF I believe?

I tested a 1xAA Quark (same head as 1x123 I believe) with a 14500 and my above conclusion seems to be correct. The light was perfectly regulated and the cell protection killed it dead with essentially no brightness change over a 50 minute run.

I'd say 210 plus or minus 10 is a pretty safe guestimate. Curious to see a few sphere readings though.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
The others are right, it's not going to change compared to anything tested on a CR123A or 2xAA; the buck/boost driver maintains flat regulation in the 2.4-4.2V range. (That graph was of an R2, hence the 170 lumen rating.)

Last edited: