motorcycle riders

onelight

Enlightened
How many CPFers ride motorcycles and what do you ride? onelight kawasaki klr650 & BMW r1150gs been riding 32yrs OKC

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to ride a 1970 cb 750 it was like 30 years old when i had it.but for its age it was fast. and fun i sold it when i left fla

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the guts to ride a bike anymore; I had a stripped down 1947 Indian Chief back in 1970 though.

God, I wish I had the money to have been able to restore it back then, and been able to keep it to this day.

onelight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i used to ride a 1970 cb 750 it was like 30 years old when i had it.but for its age it was fast. and fun i sold it when i left fla

[/ QUOTE ] The cb750 was a good bike for Honda I worked on a lot of them (I was a honda mechanic in the 70s)If well taken care of they would run & run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
since about 1981 and everything from a whizzer to a 1500 goldwing.got a set of carbs from a gs1150e sitting on the bench now.i usually have at least one running and 10 that i need to fix up.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
If you include mini-bikes and dirt bikes, I've been on two wheels since the early 70's, so call it thirty years.

First bike: Honda CB 350 in 1975 (rode it to High School for four years durning the "Fonz" era)

Second: Kawasaki LTD 1000 bought new in 1981 (Scary bike, I sure miss it, but got me into a heap of trouble with the cops)

Third: 1980 Harley-Davidson Wide Glide FXWG for my 18th birthday. (built into a 96 C.I. Stroker with all the HP stuff : High lift cams, solid lifters, titanium spring collars, head work, S&S carb) Blown up and rebuilt by me five to six times. ( it is amazing how many women want a ride if you have a Harley...)

Fourth: 1991 Custom Harley-Davidson FatBoy FLSTF (my favorite Orange and cream two tone painted bike with aftermarket fuel injection and custom billet rims--- stolen by some maggot !)

Fifth and Current Daily Rider: 1999 Black Fatboy - Last of the single cam motors(mostly stock with some exhaust and carb mods.

Next up on the list: BMW RT 1150 (what the cops out here ride)

Flash Gordon

iddibhai

Enlightened
i dont have a motorcycle, but would like one, something along the lines of ducati st4s, maybe a harley v-rod for the rumble factor. the bmws are nice, but i keep reading about that boxer engine that just vibrates annoyingly. sweet looking bikes for sure, them bmws. on the sound note, the honda something or other, incredible exhaust note!

onelight

Enlightened
Flash Gordon, I did some "fonz" time on a 72 Honda cl350 rode it to Nashvill Tenn. and back in 73 I don't think I could do 20hrs on a 350 now (I40 was not finished then)

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been riding 32+ years and my current ride is a 1993 Yamaha TDM 850 that I have owned since 1994 (I love the torque that this engine makes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif). I find it curious that you started this thread onelight, as I was dealer hopping today. While I would really love to build a Street Tracker or something Super Motard, I find that I just can't find the time anymore (unless I get rid of some other hobbies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). The current wish list is:

BMW R1100S Boxer Cup (Graphite & Yellow, outstanding combination. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif )

KTM 950 Adventurer (No longer vaporware, local dealership got one two days ago.)

Buell XB12S Lightning (Glad they finally put the big motor back in. It reduces wear on the front tire, as the tire is rarely on the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

....and on, and on, and on. Motorcycles and flashlights are light that, you can never have enough and yes, I had a Honda CB750-K4 that I made a cafe racer out of. Fun bike and classic good looks, but why did Honda put the right footpeg further back than the left footpeg (I would find my torso turning to the right as I rode)? Anyway, I corrected that with some home-made rearsets. Well, I want to grab some saddle time tomorrow so I'm going to sign off now. Keep it verticle!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im a small guy so i like small bike with lots a ponies. and i prefare crusiers cause i like comfort. idealy id want a cruiser with a sport bike moter that has a low seat height.any one have any ideas what i should get?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33: over here Honda CB400 S4s are pretty popular. might wanna check it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif once i get my license i'm planning on getting a second hand aprilia rs125 since they're getting pretty cheap.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Started on a Cagiva Mito, moved to an Aprillia RS250, last bike owned was a honda RVF400. Been Without wheels for the past couple of years, but looking at a BMW F650GS. Ducati's are what bikes are about to me, but Italian bikes arent very practical, or reliable. Besides, my wrists and back will no longer take the sort of punishment a crotch rocket will put them through.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster, the RS250 is one beautiful bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif would you happen to know how an RS125 compares to it in terms of size?

hula

Newly Enlightened
I started out riding bikes but like most moved on to cars because of their practicality. I recently got the urge to get back on two wheels but after witnessing no less than three accidents in the same day, one being quite serious, I took this as a sign and decided otherwise. These accidents occured in London and two were caused by careless car drivers. I don't live in London but riding a motorbike there it would seem ain't for the faint hearted. I would have gone for a Suzuki SV650 as an introduction back into bikes. I'm still tempted - despite the warnings.

Hula.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are more or less the same size, the 250 is a *touch* longer. And yes, they are beautiful bikes, altho i prefer the styling of the older ones. But none can match the Ducati 916...It felt *Exactly* the same size as my cagiva mito 125, but with nearly 4 times the power! Incredible machine.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hula said:
These accidents... caused by careless car drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the whole reason I'm thinking of getting rid of my bike.
I've seen the aftermath of a few accidents and I've talked to too many of those riders to consider it safe anymore. I love riding, but with all these brainless drivers out there I consider it a pretty high risk that I don't think I'm willing to take.
I've got the responsibilities that come with being an adult now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Jason