PM6 Kit for vehicle and travel......

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where I should post this so opted for a new thread. I have slowly been building out a "kit" consisting of a PM6 light, modules and some other accessories and parts. I simply want to share the idea and concept and I am not suggesting that it makes any sense from an economic stand point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kit-top.jpg

full-kit.jpg

More info is available on the bottom of the page at this LINK

In addition to the kit as shown, I made a battery eliminator that will work for all of the modules which use DownBoy converters. Only the 5W BB700 is excluded from use.

The battery eliminator:

BE.jpg

BE-installed.jpg

I think that Wayne's new DownBoys are going to free up the restrictions we have been faced with in terms of power sources and allow for other types of portable and semi- portable illumination tools. Thanks Wayne! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Ive had a similar idea for the McLux, using one of those Pelican micro cases from countycomm. Of course, it wouldnt be as flexible as an M6 with a stack of McModules, but a couple of McLux bodies with a selection of bezels would be neat.
Given the current market price for one of those McModules, i'd hate it if i got mugged with that case on me!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really neat! you could also make a remote rechargable battery pack for your belt.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wolfen,

You sure can or you can opt for one of the myriads of paks made for the video guys; many have female cigarette sockets set up for output. The runtime on some of those paks would probably break Roy's equipment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm building my own for a HID power source. It would be overkill for this program!

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ooh, nice Don. So exactly which case is that shown? Might hafta get one made up for me too now!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

It's an OtterBox #2500. I used my own foam as you could probably tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I made the shortie for ArcMania. Seems he has this thing for single cells and small???

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah, that's what She said last night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Yeah, that's what She said last night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Mr. B, you devil you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, where and how much do I paypal you for those? Would you take a used car for payment ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Do you have any experience with the Pelican microcases? If so, how do you like the otterbox compared with those? I'm waiting for batterystation.com to get the pelican 1010 in stock so I could do something similar with the Miniminimag. I think the 1010 will have enough room for the assembled MMM, an extra head (I usually have the NX-05, but would like to be able to swap out the McFlood), an extra battery (maybe two), and a surefire red filter. This seems somewhat impractical, but would be nice for travel, though I'm afraid a kit like that would raise too many questions at an airport security checkpoint.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tylerdurden,

I don't have any experience with the Pelican micro cases so I can't really say. I have a few of the larger ones but that don't help. Some of these otter boxes, if you order them in black, come with a foam lining which is real useful for this type of application, me thinks.

I like the idea of the battery eliminator for a boat or even an RV because you could hang or stalk the light and run it off house power for a chart or reading light but still go full portable with it if you wanted. On a 12 volt system like out on a boat, if the poop hit the fan, one of these lights would still be happy and in full regulation when the battery bank was dead to any other devices or instruments.

- Don

EDIT: I think something like this might be iffy for carry on but should be fine in checked baggage. Speaking of the McFlood, does the tapered nickle plated toggle switch end on the battery eliminator look familiar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, that kit is absolutely awesome, from another world. It's great the way it holds nothing back. The power cord from the ROV is a really nice touch.

Darell

Flashaholic
I wanna know how you keep the batteries in the lid from falling out when you close it! Do you glue them in like I do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Man... I remember way back when this was just a twinkle in your eye - and presto! Here it is in the flesh. Sexy stuff!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,

The batteries are in the very bottom of the box. The foam with modules actually goes in on top of the batteries as seen in the top photo. Nothing goes in to the lid. For your viewing pleasure, I did place the top module "tray" in the lid for the photo.

I do need to look into a big Pelican case for organizing all the dumb little lights for our "meet" next month.

- Don