A3 Aviator: a BIG BROTHER?

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
EDITED thread title to convey mental image

I must say that the A2 (w/ strion conversion) is my favorite light- period.

It's two distinctly different flashlights in one, not simply another HI/MED/LOW led-only light. And the UI is genius.

BUT the main-gun is the weak point for me. FM's strion upgrade is terrific for an EDC-size light, but, I'm still seeking more lumens. And with the regulation circuit bucking everything down to 4v, you're limited in the hotwire department.

I'm looking for something like a P91 for the main-beam, while retaining a power conserving, secondary-LED flood.
Also, if you want to run rechargeables in an A2, you're limited to RCR 123s, and their dismal capacity. How about 2 17500s, or 18500s?

What about something about the size a 9P or C3 using a P91:huh: and 18500s, or better, FM's bi-pin equivalent, that has a secondary LED(s)?

I looked at the 9AN commander as a possible candidate, using something like an OSRAM oslon LED (single 5mm would be too weak) to replace the offset low-output secondary bulb, but it uses a SUB-C battery-stick at 3.6v, so it's back to hotwire-wasteland. And it's too big to clip to your belt.

Are there any lights out there that fit this bill that I've overlooked?

Any mods or modders able to do this? How about an A2 turbo-head and battery-tube extension?

Your thoughts, please!

Last edited:

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Re: A2 Aviator's BIG BROTHER

That's scary-close to what I'm after, but the mag-D size is a touch too big! I'm thinking something you'd clip on your belt, like a C3 maybe.

Illum

Flashaholic

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually EDC 2 lights. Yesterday it was Milkyspit Arnor on L1 - neutral MC-E with very nice low and very nice high. For a bright spot it was a Oveready M2-50 (SST50) in a 6P (18650).

For single light a moddoo triple is as good as it gets from what I've found for "BRIGHT" - but sometimes I want that bright SPOT for pointing things out - sometimes I just want a wall of light, many times I need ~20 to 60 lumens to read items on say a motor nameplate.

I recently received my Koala onion-ring(s) to replace the LEDs in my A2 (with strion kit). Should make my A2 that much better.

Size15's

Flashaholic

If only SureFire was able to release their "Digital" Series of regulated incandescents. Blame LEDs.

jkilo

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, sadly the LED proliferation has sounded the death-knell for any revolutionary new lights like the A2.

That 3C-XP is closer in size, Thanks Illum.

I'm picturing a McGizmo LunaSol 27, running 2x18500 with a throwy 300L incan for the primary beam.

Introducing the new 250 lumen A3 Aviator with Turbo-head!

Or something like FiveMega's Deep turbo head here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3055645

That could tighten up the A2's limited output, coupled with a bored-body and extender tube. I'd hate to get too far from the A2's design, it's dam-near perfect!

Am I making any sense? :confused: I don't know. I thought that'd be a great light.

Who would even be capable of building such a thing? Anyone on the forum? Some of FiveMega's designs could be great hosts.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Streamlite has a few ~$30 lights that are incan with 5mm LEDs around the perimeter. I forget what they are called though. They are mediocre quality, but might serve you well as a mod host. They have a BIG 2D version, that perhaps you could mod to run off 2x32650 Lithium cells. I am not sure what lamp it uses, but if its a PR type, then you might be able to use it as an ROP mod host. It would then be a matter of selecting the right resistor(s) to drop the Vin for the LEDs.

**EDIT**
Streamlight twin task.... more info here

Interestingly its a bi-pin bulb... there might be some mod potential there. Assuming the host can handle the additional heat, larger bore 32650 cells, and the switch can handle the current.

Cabelas also has an A2-clone type of light that runs off 2xCR123. Its entirely direct driven, and unfortunately can not accommodate larger cell types.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

It wouldn't be the BIG BROTHER, but bigger, as mentioned before a nice extension for 2X17500, or even 2X17670. Don't have my A2 anymore, and do not recall if the tube will take a 17mm. That paired with a brighter bulb would be a good start.

Bill

Machete God

Enlightened

I'm not sure if it's ever been asked before, I did a cursory search and came up with nothing, so I guess I will ask here: won't the LED's in the Aviator be affected by the heat coming from the incandescent? Won't a hotter hotwire have an even greater effect on the LED lifespans, being that close in proximity to each other? Just wondering.

jkilo

Newly Enlightened

Hmm... What about modding or swapping the LVR out for one that would produce, say, 6V instead of 4? Lot more high-output bulbs in that range. Anyone played with these LVRs?

Here's another one I was thinking about... The new A2Z uses the 2-stage tailswitch, but it's main-beam is an LED. I'm assuming a standard A19 extender tube would fit, allowing 2x17mm li-ions to fit, and it looks like the head is the same used on the A2L, so the incan aviator head should fit... Then it's just a question of sandwiching in the regulator.

Machete: Dunno, they may deform, I was planning on switching at least one of those out to an oslon SSL on a 5mm aluminum pedastal.

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
There's an adapter for 2-D lights to turn them into regulated, soft-start 8-AA lights. Putting that in a Maglight would be a good starting point... then duct-tape an Eiger to it? :whistle:

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember where I found these pictures anymore, but here are some 2008 era Prototype Turbos that never made into production...

sfa2turbog1.jpg

sfa2turbog2.jpg

sfa2turbog3.jpg

sfa2turbog4.jpg

sfa2turbog5.jpg

sfa2turbow1.jpg

sfa2turbow2.jpg

sfa2turbow3.jpg

sfa2turbow4.jpg

sfa2turbow5.jpg

sfa2turbow6.jpg

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Omg! I'm in love! I'd take either! :paypal:

Especially the mini-turbo! Does the aviator's head interchange with any other head (thread-wise)?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was underwhelmed by these larger bezels and never pressed to have them. Perhaps more because the output was the same and it not really justifying the bulk and weight. And although I've seen higher output regulated SureFire prototypes, these bezels really called for them and they weren't available :(