Jetbeam RRT1 or RRT2

carl8190

Banned
Im torn between the jetbeam RRT1 and RRT2

The uses i will have for the torch is gernerl use and night walks. I wanted to know is it worth the extr bulk and weight of the RRT1 or are they the same? I originally wanted the Jet-iii M But i realised it wasnt as good. Also since they both run on 18650 do I have to keep monitoring the battery levels to make sure they dont run the batterys too low or do they shut off when the battery gets to 3.6v?
Look forward to any comments they will help make up my mind.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
I would take the RRT2, as it is more compact, and will still have plenty of throw for what your going to use it for.

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
i would go for RRT-1 because of the 18650 and big reflector.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you need RRT 1,2 for nightwalk ?
I guess smaller and more pocketable RRT-0, or Jet1pro will do the job.

Out of 1 & 2, I would go for RRT2.

But if I have to choose btw RRT2 & Jet3M, I would go for Jet3M, or even Jet3pro ST. :)

jellydonut

Enlightened
That's not a function of the flashlight, that's a function of your choice of 18650 cells. Protected 18650 cells will shut off.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would people choose jet-iii M over the rrt2? Does the throw remain the same?

RRT2 has a little bit more throw than J3M.

Owning from Jet1pro to RRT3, I personally think J3M is the best built Jetbeam light. Selfbuilt in flashlight review section mentioned something like that, too, I guess.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
I have several JetBeams, but for night walks I usually take the RRT-0, much smaller than its big brothers and plenty good throw. If you are set on the 1 or the 2, then I would chose the 2 for walk abouts at night.

Brian

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Does it auto shut off before the 18650 gets dangerously low?

Yes it does.

"Built-in intelligent Li-ion rechargeable battery protection circuit."

I asked this question a while backin a review thread on the RRT-2 and some of the mega experienced reviewers agreed. The built in circuit will prevent over discharge of un-protected 18650's.

I have verified this my self with my RRT-1 and 2.

Note: Before I get scolded, I only use un-protected 18650s in single cell applications, plus I observe all cautions posted in the battery section on using such batteries. And I would advise anyone who desires to go down this path to familiarize them selfs with the massive amount of information about such batteries on this site first.

Brian

carl8190

Banned
I keep seeing reviews on how the RRT2 is not regulated well on 18650 is this still the case and is it the same for the RRT1? I like Cree R5 and Ive seen on cpf some RRT 1/2 with R5's but cant find where to buy them :S

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-0 is smaller indeed but it also has less throw and much shorter runtime.

RRT-1 and RRT-2 have the same circuit so regulation is absolutely the same. And pretty nice for broad voltage circuit. They don't just shut-off. They'll blink (for a minute or so) and than automatically switch to low mode. Since than you have ~10 minutes to change battery. RRT-0 has "sudden death" feature, Jet-III M is not regulated at all.

RRT-2 with XP-G will be available soon (bugoutgearusa seems to have them already).

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both. They both run fine on an 18650 and both blink as the battery is getting low and switch to the next lowest mode. The RRT-1 WAY out throws the RRT-2 but the RRT-2 is smaller, lighter, and still has plenty of throw for walking with better spill. The RRT-1 is a very concentrated beam without a lot of spill. Both are throwers though. Neither is floody.

Last edited:

carl8190

Banned
I own both. They both run fine on an 18650 and both blink as the battery is getting low and switch to the next lowest mode. The RRT-1 WAY out throws the RRT-2 but the RRT-2 is smaller, lighter, and still has plenty of throw for walking with better spill. The RRT-1 is a very concentrated beam without a lot of spill. Both are throwers though. Neither is floody.

This is the sort of helpful info im after thanks.

carl8190

Banned
Does anyone have some real use situation pictures showing the difference in RRT1 and RRT2 throw capabilities. How much distance can the RRT2 really throw is it further than other torches of its kind?

boboweb

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have some real use situation pictures showing the difference in RRT1 and RRT2 throw capabilities. How much distance can the RRT2 really throw is it further than other torches of its kind?

I think Led Lenser P7 and M7 can easy outthrow RRT2 ...
P_JetBeam_RRT-1_CREE_7090_XR-E%20R2_240lm.jpg

P_JetBeam_RRT-2_CREE_7090_XR-E%20R2_240lm.jpg

P_LedLenser_P7_200lm_fokus_1.jpg

boboweb

Newly Enlightened
If you need better throw think twice before to buy R5 ! The XR-E LEDs are much more suitable for good throw . Good luck ;)

artec540

Enlightened
Im torn between the jetbeam RRT1 and RRT2

The uses i will have for the torch is gernerl use and night walks. I wanted to know is it worth the extr bulk and weight of the RRT1 or are they the same? I originally wanted the Jet-iii M But i realised it wasnt as good. Also since they both run on 18650 do I have to keep monitoring the battery levels to make sure they dont run the batterys too low or do they shut off when the battery gets to 3.6v?
Look forward to any comments they will help make up my mind.

I've got an RRT0 and an RRT 1 and an M2S. For my night walks, if I take any of the Jetbeams, I take the RRT 1 because the RRT 0 just doesn't deliver as much light as I want (not "need", I don't think) and the M2S is a bit longer than I like. Also I particularly like the standby position on the RRT1 control ring. It's very handy to be able to turn it off for other walkers, cars, cyclists, dogs, without having to reverse it to get at the tailcap switch (I hate tailcap switches, anyway, another reason for not taking the M2S).
I think the only difference between the RRT 1 and the 2 is the size of the head and therefore the shape of the beam. The more compact 2 might be better for the evening walk, but I like the 1 well enough.