Thinking about getting a TK40

Wiseguyzz_Inc_

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking about getting the Fenix TK40, how ever I need a little info... Who has this light? Opinions? Not too fond of running on a bunch of AA's is there a different battery option?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK30 ha the same reflector and 630 lumen rating.
Runs on CR123 so slimmer handle. Definitely worth looking into.
I have a TK40 and I love it. I feel much safer with it when investigating a break in before I board up vacant houses. Great balance between flood and throw.

bodhran

Enlightened
I've had mine since they first came out and haven't had a single problem. Have two sets of Eneloop's and a 10 cell smart charger so not worried about batteries. Have mine sitting on the desk right now to show a friend who is interested in getting one.

Latango

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, you can't go wrong with a good set of batteries (Eneloops are popular, I personally have mine with a set of powerex 2700's - great batteries imo). Given you have them and a good charger (maha 808 is brilliant) then the tk40 is just great. Mainly because AA's are the most common battery in the world pretty much, can always get them if you don't have your recharger with you, and it's a tough flashlight with great output.

Wouldn't get rid of mine.

someuser

Newly Enlightened
I have a TK40 for about a year already and it's not the brightest LED light anymore. I have to say that light served me alright over times I have used it. The "WH" tint cool white is just plain bad for me as I switched back to incandescent. Also with 75 CRI everything just kind of merge together.

Well it's $150 bucks that I would spend on the new TK 45 with triple XPG. I also feels that the HA coating on the TK isn't as well as the Surefire. There are actually pieces coming off with normal use. Normal use for me is putting it on the seat of the car and in my pockets. Plus the knurling on the TK40 aren't as good as my Surefire lights. The knurling on the TK40 is like as if it weren't there. About the window on the TK 40, it's clear but not coated as advertised. It probably water white glass as it's quite clear comparing to soda lime glass. Also the switch actually pisses me off as it's a reverse clicky. The UI of the light requires you to click like 5 times to change to get to a setting. One thing about the emitter is that you don't know what flux bin you are getting! You could get a better one without knowing so it's a lottery there. This means that one light could be brighter then the next one you can buy. Did I mentioned the emitter is a cool white emitter? For a $150 light I will say it got some good features. The light does uses AA cells for power and it's water proof. Actually that's about it for what's good.

Ok, if you need to stick to AA cells and have $150 I think there are better options out there. I personally will get the Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman 2 modes. The thing about the outdoorsman it's not really 80 lumens output. It probably does actually 100+ out put and it's small enough to pocket at all time. What good does a light do if it's not there when you need it? Also check out the warranty of both company. As surefire have a unlimited replacement on damaged parts, while Fenix have a limited one which you pays for part but not the labor. The E2L AA have a forward clicky, simple 2 mode low/high UI, TIR optic(no reflector lumen loss which could be up to 30%), you break it Surefire replace it warranty, and it's a small light with a clip for EDC.

Ok if you need power and AA cells as requirement, I think you are best stick with Mag Hotwires. As it's still power by AA cells, but with high out put(could be 1000 out the front lumen) and can be made pretty cheap. 100 CRI rating is something that a person can like pretty fast. As you can see more colors and the shapes of the objects you are illuminating. Cool white LEDs can't give you as much colors but you can only see the shapes. One big plus is that you can set things on fire to impress you friends and family.:D The drawback is you need to get the parts and less usable run time.

So if you are ok with Li-ions. You don't need the TK40 as it's big and uses an outdated cell chemistry and emitter. The high CRI Ra-Clicky looks like a very nice light for the money. It's the only stock light that I know that uses a SSC P4 93CRI emitter. Surefire C2, 6P and others are good with D26 modules. The options are like candies in a candy store. Also the new EagleTac lights are very good too, as they now have drop in models. This means you can use 18650 secondaries and the ability to upgrade if you want.

Anyway I hope that you can find the dream light that you seek like everyone else here. To me the TK40 is not a good light for the money, as there are much much more better options out there for the same price. Cree MC-E is an outdated piece of technology, as the efficacy is pretty bad comparing to the XPG. To me people who could really use the TK40 are people who needs longish run time, and brightness. The price for the two things are 75CRI, high price,AA cells and the size of the light.

Happy hunting.lovecpf

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still love my TK40 and I have had it for almost a year now. If you don't like the AA power source, then just get the TK30 as others have mentioned.

Oh and don't fall for the "latest is greatest" mentality. I have the more updated TK45 which is powered by the latest XP-G LEDs and quite frankly I like my much older TK40 with its "outdated" MC-E LED a little better. The TK40 throws noticeably further than the TK45. Brightness isn't everything and it does not automatically result in more throw distance. I have yet to be really impressed with *any* XP-G powered light to be honest. The TK45 is the most impressive one that I've come across so far and compared to my TK40 it's not *that* great.

As far as large AA powered lights, there really aren't a whole lot of them on the market. The TK40 still definitely holds its own compared to the rest.

vali

Enlightened

lol, we all know some lights that are brighter, lighter, stronger, have our cell of choice, etc. but you are comparing the big points of several lights to a single one.

Of course, we all have our opinions but that post sounds like just bashing.

Chicago X

Enlightened
........ To me the TK40 is not a good light for the money, as there are much much more better options out there for the same price. Cree MC-E is an outdated piece of technology, as the efficacy is pretty bad comparing to the XPG. To me people who could really use the TK40 are people who needs longish run time, and brightness. The price for the two things are 75CRI, high price,AA cells and the size of the light.

Happy hunting.lovecpf

PM me if you would like to sell your outdated piece of technology....I would love to have another. :thumbsup:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only issue I have with the TK40 is I don't have two.

I do! :nana:

I don't see what's wrong with a bunch of AA's. Gives you a great reason for stocking up on eneloops which are good for just about anything else too AND, if needed, you can always get batteries for an emergency anywhere!

Great light!

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Right now they have 900 lumen thrunite catapults v1 on ebay for $90!

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
I have both the TK40 and TK45 and like both of them. I give the slight edge to the TK45 however primarily due to the location of the switches. Seriously, a large flashlight like the TK40 should not have the switch in the tailcap.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tail clicky on the TK40 has me holding the light in a good defensive position.that being said I bought the Tk40 over the TK45 based on price. Both switches have there advantages. If you like the output, I say go for it.

I'm not a one light kind of fella though, I have different lights for different situations. Had I known about CPF last January I might have gone a different route and have 4 surefires with a different drop in in each instead of four Fenix lights.
I love options

someuser

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Chicago X my TK40 is not for sale:) As it is the family light as they don't know much about Li-ion cells.

I have both the TK40 and TK45 and like both of them. I give the slight edge to the TK45 however primarily due to the location of the switches. Seriously, a large flashlight like the TK40 should not have the switch in the tailcap.

I too agree with fishhead about the switch location on the TK40. When I using it I had to hold it at the end of the body. I am glad that the TK 45 have a maglite like switch location.

I guess I just don't really like the TK 40 comparing my other lights. The main thing is that for $150 I expected more. The flaking HA, and the unknown Flux bin really make me not so happy. If I have know better then I would have bought something else like a EagleTac M2SC4 that uses 18650 with a neutral MC-E emitter 5A tint. See the best thing is the company actually tells me what I am getting and what to expect. Plus the UI is seems way better then the multiple clicks of TK40.

PSEUDOSENTIENT

Newly Enlightened
My co-worker has the TK40. I have the TK45. We work at night, in a dark building. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far. I use it all the time, and carry it with me on duty 40 hours a week in a belt mounted ripoff holster.

The anodizing does come off somewhat, but doesn't it come off on all lights that are daily used? For me, this is not an issue as the exposed aluminum doesnt corrode. I don't care how it looks, frankly. For me, its a tool to be used, and discarded when its no longer useful.

You get about 1.5 solid hours of turbo run-time before they dim noticably. Turbo is good for inspections, but too bright to illuminate something Im working on usually... for that I switch to high mode.

I use Powerex 2700 batteries and a MH-9000 charger.

If you will use your light to illuminate 200 feet or less around you (especially indoors!) , the TK-45 is clearly better IMO... any farther out and the TK-40 is the better tool. One is not really better than the other in that regard... they're just different. I do agree with another poster that the 40's button is a PITA, particularly if you turn it off and on alot. The 45 you just click on and off like a common household flashlight.

Between our two lights, the 40 has the warmer look most people prefer, but it is a very slight difference.

TK40 = spotlight
TK45 = floodlight

glhf