Pulled the trigger on a LumaPower

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
Wanted a rcr123a EDC that was roughly 30 percent throw, 70 percent flood with an xp-g, with high output and simple modes, and 40+ minute run time to 50 percent on max. Decided on the Incendio V3. Ordered it from Mattk at BatteryJunction about 45 minutes ago.

My limit was about 60 bucks for spending, and the Incendio, 2 16340 ultrafires and shipping came to 63.16.

Please tell me I made a good purchase, lol. From what I read, I think I made out ok. Just want it reiterated to me :laughing:

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
I scratched this mini-review out a few months ago, and since that time, I've been carrying mine as an EDC light and have grown to love it even more. I find that the RCR123's give me the brightest output and always puts a huge :grin2: on my face. It's shocking how much light this little thing puts out.

drool.gif
Mini-Review - Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 - 370 emitter lumens - wow!
Just received my Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 with XP-G R5 and all I can say is 'wow!' :huh:

Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 and Free goodies:

If you want the specs, you can check it out here on Lumapower's CPF marketplace thread:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=222823

I was 1 of 30 CPF'ers that bought the "CFP Edition" IncenDio lights, and although it took a little while to get, it was definitely worth the wait. I bought the light specifically to replace my pocket EDC Fenix PD20 R2 which has seen a ton of use but is holding on like a champ.

Here's what I noted about the "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5:
  • The IncenDio is roughly the same size as the Fenix, but feels much lighter;
  • The emitter seems properly centered based on beamshots;
  • OP reflector for a smoother beam (Lumapower said they installed an "enhanced" reflector since the previous one showed the dreaded rings);
  • The Type IIIA is well done;
  • The silver color is pretty striking IMO;
  • The knurling is tactile but not aggressive;
  • The manufacturer's markings are clear and pretty precise;
  • (The only notable flaw I noticed was a small nick on the body, but as an EDC light that will probably ride in my pocket, I could care less.)
  • The IncenDio comes standard with a GITD rubber clickie cover and GITD o-ring between the lens and reflector;
  • The GITD rubber clickie cover is flat which allows the light to tailstand;
  • Forward clickie! :grin2: Yes, a forward clickie!
  • Pretty flimsy pocket clip (see remarks below).
The CPF Edition included the obligatory extra o-rings, but also included some extras, like an extra rubber clickie cover, lanyard ring, OD green lanyard with easy release clip, diffuser, and a set of really useful tweezers.

I swapped out the GITD rubber clickie cover for the regular 'ol black cover for aesthetics and feel. The black cover is slightly more dome-shaped than the GITD cover which is flat to allow tail-standing.

The "CPF Edition" IncenDio actually has 4-output levels with good, discernible spacing between the levels of brightness. The low is actually a usable low and the high is just surprisingly :eek:! I'm running an AW RCR123 and I can't believe how such a little 1-battery pocket light delivers such great output. Mind you, it does get toasty if you keep it on for long durations, but that's to be expected.

The beam is a nice neutral white, or at least what I perceive as "neutral" white; while my Fenix has a rather yellowish/greenish hue. Lumapower said they installed an enhanced reflector and I did not notice any rings whatsoever, and the beam has a pretty defined hotspot with good spill.

The UI is simple and user-friendly. Half-press to the desired level of output and a full-press/click for constant on at that level. If the light is kept on for more than 1-second on any level of brightness, the memory will kick in and it will stay on that level the next time you full click. There is also a tactical lock, wherein, you select the desired brightness and full press/click, keep it on for more than 1-second, turn the light off, and then 4-quick half-presses will lock the UI on that specific output level. I just love the fact that this little EDC light has a forward clickie!

I'm a poor photographer, at best, so forgive the poor quality of my photos, but I took a beamshot of my Fenix PD20 R2 on Turbo and the "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 on High below and you'll see the IncenDio is significantly brighter than the Fenix, especially the hotspot. The Fenix spits out 190 lumens on turbo and the IncenDio supposedly puts out 370 emitter lumens on its highest setting. I would even dare say that the IncenDio is brighter than my RRT-2 Raptor on high (although the Raptor still out-throws the IncenDio by leaps and bounds).

The included diffuser is really quite a nice product. Just FYI for others who have this same light, there are two pieces of felt-like material with an adhesive backing. Place one strip of that on the inside of the opening of the diffuser that goes over the head of the light for a proper fit, otherwise, the diameter of the IncenDio is too small for the diffuser opening. The felt also protects your light from metal to metal contact between the diffuser and the light head. :wave:

The only thing I can really criticize about the light is the pocket clip. It's just plain terrible. Lumapower, the horror...the horror. The included pocket clip has got the look, feel and durability of a paper clip! :sick2: Why would they ruin such a great quality light with such an inferior pocket clip? :ohgeez:So, needless to say, I removed the pocket clip and installed the lanyard loop just to prevent the light from rolling on any flat top surface.

Anyways, nit-picking aside, all in all, the Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 is an awesome light and will take its place as my new pocket EDC light. I'm glad I took the plunge and have absolutely no buyer's remorse on this one. Way to go Lumapower! :twothumbs

Coincidentally, now my 2 favorite lights are the Lumapower IncenDio V3 and the Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra.

Beamshot of my Fenix PD20 R2 on Turbo:

(REMOVED - apparently my amateurish photography skills, or lack thereof, led some folks to claim my beamshot of the Fenix PD20 was "misleading." Still doesn't change my opinion that the IncenDio is much brighter than the Fenix. As I explained in the mini-review, I'm a poor photographer, at best, and was using a simple point and click digital camera on auto-focus, but I figured poor beamshots are better than NO beamshots. Critics, ya gotta love 'em.)

Beamshot of the CPF Edition IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 on High :thumbsup::

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I think you did a great purchase.

The Incendio V3 has a great look and feeling and is very bright.
Mine is the neutral white, if you ordered the cool white it will be even brighter!

I think it really feels like a high quality light but I did have some thoughts about how waterproof it is, see my post: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/289308

I'm not worried now but I think it is a good idea to check the switch to make sure it is tight.

Please give some feedback when you get it and let me know what you think about the switch / waterproofness.
Is it only me being paranoid?

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reassurance :). I will most likely take a few pics, size 'em down and put them in this thread when I receive the light. I'll make sure and do a simple blow test on the head and tail, to give you my thoughts on water resistance on the one I get.

Several questions for you guys that have the v3 with the xp-g:

1. If I use my spiderfire unprotected 16340s, will the circuit cut off at 2.8-2.9v or do I just have to watch the dimming as usual? (If not, what brand incorporates li-ion 2.8-3v cutoffs for unprotected cells?)

2. Are there any stronger clips that you have found are compatible with this light besides the wire clip it comes with?

3. If I decide to do a neutral xp-g swap, how accessible is the LED pill?

4. How hot does it get on high and will adding AS5 to the head help enough to matter?

Thanks for your input guys. My next flashlight is going to be a non-edc dedicated 18650 thrower at probably $100 limit (would be the maelstrom if the UI was more to my liking).

lovecpf

HIDblue

Enlightened
Also, it looks like Lumapower is coming out with a new battery tube that you can use on the Incendio V3 that will accept 18650s.

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I just noticed the I-65 Powerbooster pic on the front page, has the filename "IncenDio_GT/I65_00.jpg." Guess that's what it'll look like, eh? Not much announcing it on their page besides that pic, or am I just not looking hard enough?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted a lumapower light. it's funny, I always forget about them because they get discussed so rarely here, but they usually receive a lot of praise.

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
I love Lumapower because you're pretty much sure to get a forward-clicky, a maximally-driven emitter, and a simple and effective interface no matter what you buy from 'em. And as of TRUST-1, they've learned how to make a solid clip, too!

You're also likely to get cool upgrades in the future. In addition to the I-65, there's a turbo-head planned for IncenDio :grin2:

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link, kdaq, should be cool add-ons/accessories for the Incendio V3 it looks like. Wish LumaPower wasn't being so mysterious about all of it though, lol.

Latest posts