Anyone know an EDC light that fits these requirements?

drbobguy

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been following flashlight design/tech for several years and I don't want to spend 2 weeks searching the Internet when somebody here probably has the answer in their head.

My requirements for an EDC (in order of importance):

1) One AA or one AAA. (I don't like hard to find batteries).
2) Pocket clip. This is an absolute must. And I like it to be on the tail of the light, with the head pointed down, so that no part of the light is sticking up out of my pocket. The clips that are head-up almost always have the head of the light protruding out, which annoys me.
3) Not too pricey. Under $50 is good. I don't care about brand reputations that much, I'm not an LEO and if a light suddenly stops working no one will die. I also don't care if it has extraordinary light output. 2-3 year old tech is fine.
3) Two or three modes (low/hi or low/med/hi). Preferably I want the modes to be switched by turning the head or tail of the light (and not cycling it on/off). I don't want any strobe or SOS modes to cycle through. While those are nice in a "zombie apocalypse" kind of way, in daily city life they are useless.
4) Clickie or reverse-clickie. No twist-on and twist-off.

I don't care about color, but stainless or hard-anodized is best, since cheap lights with black finishes always start looking like crap after a month in my pocket.

Anyone know a light like this?

carrot

Flashaholic
Leatherman Serac S2? I wrote a review previously about it (if you care to search for it). It matches every one of your four criteria.

drbobguy

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman Serac S2? I wrote a review previously about it (if you care to search for it). It matches every one of your four criteria.

Here is the review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210489

That seems like a good choice. My only (small) problems with it is the maximum output on the S2 is not that great (~50 lumens), I'd prefer something like 100, but that's not a dealbreaker. Also I'd prefer if the switch in brightness was from a separate switch in the head or tail (a twist-switch) as opposed to depressing the clicky.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Old fenix L1T-V2.
-90 Lumen high and 15 Lumen low
-Forward clicky
-Tighten bezel for high, loosen a few degrees for low
-No PWM
-Shallow submersible
-Durable

I added a shirt clip from a ray-o-vac sportsman light.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Proton Pro. It has a clip, 1 AA battery, operates with a button and is infinitely variable and is about 100 lumens and can be gotten for just under $50.

yowzer

Enlightened
Zebralight SC50? AA, clip, mid-50's after a CPF discount from a number of good dealers, side switch, push and hold to cycle through low/medium/high, or quick click from off to turn on in high.

cistallus

Enlightened
I second the SC50 (current model is SC50+); they will soon have a similar SC51 using a different LED (XP-G). Look for selfbuilt's recent review of these lights.

Another possibility is Quark AA Tactical, probably meets all your specs (with CPF discount) - does have flashing modes but you program each of its two active modes to exactly what you want so you don't need to ever see those. (With the Quark AA Regular you'd be more likely to hit flashing modes that you don't want).

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the SC50 (or SC50+ or SC50W). As for point #3, the SC50 does not have a twist to change mode you are asking. The mode change is IMO even simpler than that, as the 3 different levels (L, M, H) can be easily accessed from off using the electronic side clicky.

Latest posts