Bored 6P work with CR123's?

N/Apower

Enlightened
Will a bored 6P work with regulr CR123's, or will they rattle/lose contact/whatnot?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Unfortunately, they do rattle. There are sleeves that you can buy that prevent the rattling.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Unfortunately, they do rattle. There are sleeves that you can buy that prevent the rattling.

Thanks. Will order non-bored. I don't use a light enough to make the price of boring, plus the charger/battery setup worth more than a dozen or two CR123's. It's not important to me really, unless I could use CR123's at no penalty and then the other if I so chose later. Seems like something I won't mess with for this build. Thanks again!

CPFBiology

Enlightened
No problem. FWIW, I didn't feel right with a regular Surefire 6P, and ending up choosing it bored. I specifically wanted a bored one so that it could take a 18650 cell.

Maybe in the future, I will pickup a standard unbored Surefire 6P host and will use 17670's, but I prefer the 18650's for the added runtime.

But, your purposes may be different. I specifically need 2hr+ runtime, and will carry spares.

N/Apower

Enlightened
No problem. FWIW, I didn't feel right with a regular Surefire 6P, and ending up choosing it bored. I specifically wanted a bored one so that it could take a 18650 cell.

Maybe in the future, I will pickup a standard unbored Surefire 6P host and will use 17670's, but I prefer the 18650's for the added runtime.

But, your purposes may be different. I specifically need 2hr+ runtime, and will carry spares.

I am going to be running an SST-50 1-mode and mainly want the light for "burst" run-times. I wanted the biggest output I could get in a quality package with a little exclusivity. CR123's are fine. They should give me 30M+ of run-time, according to Nailbender.

jellydonut

Enlightened
The rattling is just annoying - I've used 2x CR123s in the MD2 Malkoff body (dimensioned for 1x18650) and even 4xCR123s in the Malkoff MD4 body that is intended for two 18650s and there are no contact issues. If the rattling bothers you that much you could add a sleeve but it'll add unnecessary weight.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just made my own sleeves out of a folded piece of paper, which I wrapped around a cell and taped it. That's reusable, the weight is minimal just as the costs. No rattling anymore! :wave:

hoongern

Enlightened
To me, the benefits of having it bored outweigh it not being bored.

As mentioned, I can just put some tape around the cells. It's really simple to do - practically free, stops the rattling, but you can still use 18mm cells should the need arise.

Of course, I use 18650s almost exclusively. CR123s are for emergencies when my 18650s run out of juice.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. It's just nice to have the option of running 18650 for the extended runtimes, but you're right. That means you'll have to invest in a charger and 18650 cells.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even non-wrapped 123 cells will work fine in a bored 6P, just rattle. Insert a tube of paper into the body to eliminate the rattle.

I wonder if bored 6P is better than aftermarket bodies. I have a FiveMega 6P clone. The knurling is aggressive and better than 6P, but it's bored to 19mm. My 18650 cells measure about 18.12mm so that there is a 1mm gap and they really rattle, not so much in 6P clone but especially in 2x18650 bodies. I had to insert some rounded paper to eliminate it.

Bore the real 6P to your specs, so you have a tight fit. 18.50mm probably. It should also make it stronger.

Back to your question. I wonder if there is a plastic tube you can insert into bored 6P to make 123s fit perfectly. Instead of having to mess with rounded paper all the time, in and out as you switch between 123s and 18650s.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I just ordered my 6P non-bored from Oveready instead of messing with buying the rechargables, the charger, etc. Primaries will work fine. Nailbender said I shouldn't run the light longer than 10-15 minutes at a time anyway.