really cheap 2 AA flashlights?

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, here at work our ushers use 2 AA lights. They go through about 40 a season and they have just been buying them at local stores. I thought maybe if I bought 40 at a time I could get something a bit better. They want lights under $5 each. They tend to disappear over time.

So does anyone have any ideas? The cheapest I can think of the UKE or Pelican 2AA lights, but those are still about $10.

Any ideas?

I should add I brought up the $1 Photon knockoff, they are to small and most of the ushers are older so they wouldn't like to squeeze the light the entire time.

FNG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:

Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Train them not to lose lights so often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
LOL, well I personally think they tend to end up going home with the ushers, they put them in their pockets and forget they have them. We have about 450 ushers the adv age is 66.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've been fooling with various ultra-cheap lights and man they are junk. I may post some reviews soon. But in qty 40 I'm sure you can get some useable lights in the 1 or 2 dollar range. Isn't there a Dorcy rep on CPF?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doing a quick search on Froogle, I found this 2AA light for $1.20 but they have a 250 minimum. They are an ad printing company, you might want to see if you can just get these without the printing.

Here's a rubber one for $2.80 each. And of course a M*g clone for $1.99. How about a factory serviced comeman 1AA for $1.07. Heck, here's that Coleman for less than a buck!

But Brock, what will your envious friends think of you when you hand out these high quality flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, that ad printed one might be fun with a CPF logo. Group buy anyone? I'd take a few.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
How about a Rayovac Industrial 2AA. I've seen them at Walmart and Home Depot for just under $4.00. I haven't tried one but I hear they are decent for a cheap light. John

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
Heck, here's that Coleman for less than a buck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, how about the other factory referb Coleman they sell:

Coleman 2aa

$1.33 for a two AA light with a familiar shape and function, complete with *krypton* bulb and two cells?

Doug Owen

Brock

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, this is the stuff I am looking for.

Tree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tis true Biblefreak, but they asked me since they know I am the flashlight guy. So I have to give them something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have one of the Colemans right here (must have with around 100 lights eh?).

Mine is black and marked Nightsight. Same thing however.

It uses a PR base bulb. Bonus!

Mine has a very interesting beam... seems to have a lot of filament artifacts but still a fairly dispersed beam. I'll try to see if I can get a decent pic of it.

The switch is kinda gnarly... not terrible, but not as smooth as many of us would like.

The Rayovac Industrial 2AAs these days have bi-pin bulbs, but have textured reflector and so make a nice smooth blob of light. I have an older Rayovac that uses PR bulb. In it I have a M*g Xenon Star 2 cell, and two fresh Energizer Liths.... What a light!

Last thing I submit for your approval... Rayovac "Value Bright" Translucent green (other colors available) 2AA PR base light with smooth reflector and fresnel lense. It has (mine anyway) a pretty tight beam... not more than 1 foot across at approx. 10 feet.

Looks kinda nice, and has a nice slide switch.

I'd probably stay with PR based lights, since PR bulbs SEEM to be a bit more robust than bi-pins.

Your mileage may vary.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought five of Energizer Waterproof 2AA's for about $3.00 @ on EBAY a while ago. It's a twist on light that has a reflector that does a nice job with Epeion 2 cell bulbs and lithiums.

It takes a PR bulb so your choice of bulb is wider than with the bi-pin 2AA's.

Empath

Flashaholic
If they disappear rapidly, you might consider a AA disposable penlight. I haven't checked on a source, but medical supplies providers likely carry them with. I don't know the prices either, but I would imagine their cost would reflect the difference between the disposable and battery replacement variety.

Edit: I just did a quick'n'dirty Google search and noticed that NDS Products has 6 packs of them for $11.00.

Deanster

Enlightened
Even if you found a deal on the Pelican or UK lights, I'd advise against them... the beams are just too narrow and tight for your kind of work... but you already knew that!

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Any reason your going for the 2AA form factor. I was the House Manager for the Goodman Theater in Chicago several years back. One of my duties was cordinating a large volunteer usher program. I found that the best lights for seating patrons and for keeping up with where 2d lights with milky white trafic cones on them ans some blue gel sheet sliped under the lens.. The open end of the cone provide a tight beam for pointing out specific seats or steps and the difused light was good for guiding people. The lights where also large enough that they did not wonder off.
Patrick Hayes

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The disposable penlights that Empath mentioned seem like the way to go. Cheap, easy to use and very little fuss...

Jon