My first Surefire and initial impressions

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Ok, I am pretty sure most of you saw my original 'Why Surefire' thread. As it turns out, I bought a 6P Defender. and had some time tonight to take some crude night shots that you may find interesting.

I am going to say that the Surefire brand LED drop in for the 6PD is not as refined as what I am used to with modern Cree LED's at very close range. (I bought the incandescent version and the drop in LED with it) With that said, I was impressed that it handily threw a farther beam than my Inova T2, which has been in my truck as a primary go to light for over 2 years now. It is no slouch at 125 lumens and has a great runtime of 4 hours per the manufacturer. The 6PD does not, however, throw as good of a focused beam as the Fenix TK12 that I just purchased at the mid high setting of 120 lumens. I feel the trade off is rugged durability, made in USA and iron clad warranty vs hot rod performance.

Here it is pictured with the Inova T2 and Fenix TK12.

DSC03475.jpg

The Surefire 6PD does what it is supposed to do. Lets face it...if you need distance, you have high power throwers and helicopters overhead. Really, where is the need for reliable 250+ lumen output for 95% of the tasks? Is it cool to have more? You bet! Matter of fact, I am currently debating a higher power drop in which also has a higher efficiency and higher output. I am finding out at a rapid pace just how versatile this light is when coupled with all of the aftermarket parts.

So anyways, I have 2 sets of photos . The first is at 300 feet, the second set is at 200 feet. The Inova T2 will be first, the Surefire 6PD second, the Fenix TK12 last. Keep in mind, there is some ambeint lighting from street lights and building lights across the football field, and also remember, the TK12 is on MEDIUM setting at 120 lumens. It has the 280 lumen Turbo mode as well.

300' Inova T2
DSC03461.jpg

300' Surefire 6PD LED
DSC03460.jpg

300' Fenix TK12
DSC03459.jpg

200' Inova T2
DSC03465.jpg

200' Surefire 6PD LED
DSC03463.jpg

200' Fenix TK12
DSC03462.jpg

All in all, the Surefire does a fine job. It reminds me of a farm tractor. It was built to just keep going forever over harsh land. It won't do it at NASCAR speeds, but it will do it well and without complaint. I am, however, going to squeeze a little more out of her with a drop in or 2. :D

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nice thing about that 6P is that it will last for many years ... and if you want to upgrade to a new or different LED, you only have to replace the lamp module rather than buy a whole new flashlight.

I'm surprised that your Inova T2 looks so anemic in those beam shots. My T2-MP matches the new 6P LED (w/ KX4 head instead of P60L module) in throw. Do you have one of the older versions of the T2?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the new light, you should throw a nailbender sst50 or p7 ;)

You had to up me and get the 120 lumen hehe :wave:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Andrew, it is the 2008 125 lumen model. Inova only rates it at 250' effective light range, so in that regard, they are pretty much spot on. It has more flood than throw and the batteries were fresh.

CH, mine is actually 80 lumens, not 120. I said the Fenix was at the 120 lumen setting. The SF held it's own IMO for being 40 lumen less rated.

What I didn't do is see how well the incan bulb did at distance. Maybe I will try that tonight...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
So than it's a true OTF reading for the SF, probably only light I have that came with an out the front reading instead of an inflated number. Sure blows me away.