How in the world do you disassemble an Inova X2?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seemed sensible-
I have an inova X2-Over a long period, I have sporadically been trying to take it apart. Recently I have been trying to resort to brute force, and I ended up breaking the lens and damaging something about the internals (although I'm surprised it still works at all). Now I just want the parts, but I have no clue how to get the pill and reflector out of the head. Has anyone tried this? I wouldn't be surprised if they just flooded the internals with super glue, this thing is way overbuilt.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL-the ice doesn't damage anything? I may have to try that...

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I've tried the freezing two times, no success. Going for a third try here. I imagine trying to turn the light on at this point would not be all that wise. I'm actually not sure where all the pressure is going, I'm pretty sure I got all the air out of the thing.

Any other ideas?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've often seen it suggested to boil the light in a waterproof ziplock bag (heat-resistant, of course).

But then what? There is nothing to unscrew, and I don't know how the guts are kept in the head. Also, no sense in using a plastic bag, the head has already been flooded with water. EDIT:Also, the ice test failed again. Where is all this pressure going?? :thinking:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Inovas lights are one of few lights in existence that is not a threaded device that can be taken apart in its entirety. Everything is press fit, disassembly and reassembly is equally difficult:eek:

tried to freeze-pop an XO[2], took out the rubber boot
tried to freeze-pop an XO3, head came out half way and that was that. repeating it eventually removed the optics, but the driver was stuck where its designed to be, I tried batteries and the driver no longer works...so...I've given up on modding Inovas

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang... I might be stuck with some trash then. I guess I'll try a few more times to get the thing popped open. It's no wonder these things feel so tough.

Illum

Flashaholic
they are bomb proof yes, but not bomb proof hosts unfortunately.

I've collected several of them over the years, but thats because I like their TIROS, I'm not sure if there were internal design changes with the reflectors, but TIROS was a long optic, comparable to the length of an AA battery.

As far as i can understand it, an O-ring is the tensioner for the SS bezel towards the body, an oring under it maintains adequate pressure on the TIROS to prevent it pushing on the window, and the bottom of the TIROS is seated squarely on the light engine. How exactly does the pressfit work I have no idea, but they've really gone down the far end in insuring the head is hermetically sealed from any form of mechanical breaches.:)