Red CMG Infinity (ultimate travel nite-lite)

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
While on a recent family vacation, we used a red CMG Infinity
as a nite-lite. We would hang it from a lamp (using a short lanyard)

It gave off more than enough light for everyone to find their
way around a hotel room but not enough light or "glare" to
disturb anyone's sleep.

A few AA's seemed to last the whole week!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info...are they still available?

i currently use a palight onestar on low setting. works very well. though i havent drained a battery yet, the infinity's AA bats would certainly cost less than a 9v.

Bob

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO nothing beats the red and yellow Infinity when battery life and night-vision preserving paired with a small size are concerned. Unfortunatey that is all they can do, I think they are not bright enough for any uses where you want "light".
bernhard

StuU

Enlightened
I bought a red CMG Infinity from Texas Tactical a few months ago. I'm not sure what to think of it as the red led is much brighter than any red I have previously seen. It's so bright that one's night vision might be impaired when using it. It's certainly 5X brighter than necessary for astronomy use. Also, the head of the light has the gold contact which resembles the Infinity Ultra more than the standard Infinity head.

We live in the country. Sometimes when I or the dog hear a noise outside, I move around the house windows to check it out.... without being seen from outside. I had hoped that the red standard Infinity would be idea for this. However, this light is really too bright and would be quickly noticed in any night situation. I am using the older blue/green Infinity for this purpose.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know anything about the CMG's, but, one way to find out if it is an infinity or ultra would be to check runtime?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The white standard Infinity with worn out batteries has been serving me quite faithfully as a night light and general knock about the house light for quite some time now. I kind of like it's dimness for such purposes, and even half dead batteries seem to last for weeks.

Bobvvue02

Newly Enlightened
Someone said they liked the red and yellow for night lights. We (wife and I) use a Infinity yellow as a reading light in bed.

If one of us wakes up and wants to read in bed, the color is such that it doesn't glare off the pages and the other person is not disturbed by it.

I agree, other than that, a more powerfull light is needed if you want to do anything, but for reading discretly, nothing beats the yellow (amber) CMG for us. Plus we paid $9.95 back in January from Campmor and it is on the original battery still.

Bob

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
I keep a CMG Equipment Infinity with Red LED oy my nightstand. It's great for trips to the bathroom during the night. With the red light my eyes adjust automatically to the dark.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to use my Infinity Ultra or Arc AAA for trips to the Bathroom in the middle of the night. I used to use the Opalec Newbeam, but I found that it was to much of a shock for my eyes when I switched it on in the middle of the night.

StuU

Enlightened
I tried an experiment last night with the CMG Infinity red. Walked down our *very* dark driveway with just the red Infinity for illumination. The road was illuminated just enough to see 5-8 feet ahead and was just barely adequate for night navigation on this flat surface. The white or blue/green standard Infinity was several times more effective for night movement.

However, around the house at night, the red Infinity is a real blaster. I would worry about disturbing others with this level of brightness. I have a Rayovac 2AA light which I have rigged with a high brightness red at 30ma. This is probably half to 1/3 the brightness of the CMG but is just about right for night rambling.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red Infinity is actually pretty bright, but the color reflects very poorly off of typical outdoor objects. In the house, where the walls are usually white or off white, it reflects very well.

Here's a tip: Get a mini biner at Walmart in the camping section. Use it to hang the red Infinity from the "clip on" portion of your passenger side visor. Works great while night driving in dark areas. You can see inside your vehicle without disturbing your ability to see the road at all.