what light next?? my list inside..

wayfasterthanyou

Newly Enlightened
I have a few lights but will mention what I feel are current and worthy.

3 miny mags (2aa led)
6 cell mag ( in pieces)
2 cell mag ( in pieces as well waiting for mod)
noma led (180 lumen)
no name 3 c with a cree 3 watt
sacredfire nf-007 with a cr 123 (my fav light and best small light)
5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module taped to a 6 cell sub c battery pack that is insane!!!!
motomaster hid 35watt that is not much brighter than my module ...

the module will go inside my 2 cell mag as soon as I can confirm that 7.2 volts will be as bright as the max 8.4, I ask because I can find 3.6 volt cells that will fit in my mag but if the modual will be brighter with more volts I would maybe use a different body.

my other question is what light should I buy next?

I see all kinds of lights but in your opinion after seeing what I have what is brighter ?

Imon

Enlightened
Well there are so many different lights to choose from you're going to have to narrow it down a bit.
Do you have a size in mind? Battery types? Multi-mode functionality? Will it serve any specific purpose? Or do you just want a cool light?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-on batteries are 4.2V fully charged dropping to 3.6V when you should recharge them. So you already have 8.4V max.
My concern is 5*1.4A (XR-E max) =7A which is above the max safe current for most Li-on batteries. Even at the 1000mA per LED nominal of the module spec. you are pulling 5A. Suggest you get IMR batteries which can handle more amps than regular Li-on batteries.
You could also use 6 NiMH in your 6 cell Mag. 8.1V fully charged to 7.2V when they should be recharged. (Running 7 NiMH will give you 9.45V fully charged!!!) Get the 10,000 mAH LSD NiMH online instead of the 2900 mAH RayOvac at Walmart Canada. (You gave away your location with Noma and Motomaster)
The reviewer at DX wrote some grinding is required to get his module to fit his Mag. The modules are designed for the WF500 series of lights, not Mags so in addition to fit you need to look at heatsinking.
Let us know how you do.
6 cell mag ( in pieces)
5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module taped to a 6 cell sub c battery pack that is insane!!!!

the module will go inside my 2 cell mag as soon as I can confirm that 7.2 volts will be as bright as the max 8.4, I ask because I can find 3.6 volt cells that will fit in my mag but if the modual will be brighter with more volts I would maybe use a different body.

There are not that many lights that are brighter than your 5LED module at a reasonable cost. The SST90 lights are ~$400. The more powerful HIDs are big and heavy. See The BIG Lights for a listing of the most powerful torches.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198582
-
Most of the lights in your list are big. Suggest you concentrate on the smaller pocketable torches. I guess you found that out with the sacredfire. BTW are you running 3V CR123A or 3.6V RCR123A in your sacredfire. There is a big jump in lumens going from 3V to 3.6V in some torches (not much in others).
Things to look at:
Neutral/warm tint LEDs. Better colour rendition especially on vegatation outdoors with the neutrals. 4sevens have a limited run in both neutral and warm versions. Most other manufacturers only have neutral but list them as warm.
Headlamps. Leave both of your hands free. Zebralight's headlamps can be slipped out of the headband and used as anglehead flashlights.
Flood vs throw. The early Zebralight headlamps are all flood. Not just a bigger hotspot. The lack of a hotspot makes them very useful for close in work.
A newer LED than your sacredfire. The P4 in your sacredfire is 80 lumens at 350 mA. The XP-G R5 is 139 lumens at 350 mA or 73% brighter. The neutral white XP-G R4 is 129 lumens at 350 mA or 61% brighter.
I don't have any particular models to recommend as I have stayed with AA/AAA and you have already gone with CR123A.
I have a few lights but will mention what I feel are current and worthy.
3 miny mags (2aa led)
6 cell mag ( in pieces)
noma led (180 lumen)
no name 3 c with a cree 3 watt
sacredfire nf-007 with a cr 123 (my fav light and best small light)
motomaster hid 35watt that is not much brighter than my module ...

my other question is what light should I buy next?
I see all kinds of lights but in your opinion after seeing what I have what is brighter ?
Have a look at this combo.
Cree MC-E LED 3-Mode 410-Lumen Drop-in Module inside
MX Power 3W Flashlight (1*CR123A). Note this combo pulls 2000 mA which is more than RCR123A can handle safely so make sure you only use AW IMR 16340 cells!!!