Peak LED Banner Ad Mistake

Imon

Enlightened
I don't want to come off as a grammar Nazi but one of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the word "your" in place of "you're". I just noticed that the Peak LED banner ad states, "If you haven't taken a peak at us recently your missing some cool stuff."

Am I the only one bother by this or do I need to get a life? :duh2:

You can see all the banner ads at the cpfclassifieds website.

I, too, am a HUGE fan of proper grammar, and I not only noticed that horrible banner ad but have been hounding Robyn to get it corrected or take it down. It's atrocious. The ad was done by RMSK, Inc., Peak's dealer. I've even asked Robyn to tell RMSK that it needs to be fixed. But it's still there! :ohgeez: I think there is one other poor grammar mark in one of the other Peak banner ads as well. Doesn't bode well for a good little company to have that out there.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Imon and 'Dad (Troy) --

Yes, indeed, i've certainly noticed this myself.

Every single time i look at it. :shakehead

Gives it an "unprofessional" look -- like the "Chinglish" often encountered.

While i don't want to Harp on this (too much),
i'll just repeat something which one of my English teachers subtlely mentioned, several decades ago:

"Spelling and Grammar mistakes make you look Dumb.

You are NOT dumb, but they make you LOOK dumb."

:whistle:
_

Starlight

Enlightened
The sheriff's office placed an LED sign in front of a local junior high school. The sign read; schools in session
drive safe

I called the sheriff's office and asked them to please use proper grammer if they wanted to post signs in front of a school. It sets a bad example for the students.

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
Effective advertising gets you talking about a company or product. You all are talking about Peak. You're increasing the number of hits the name will get in the search engines. Sounds like effective advertising to me. I'll bet we have quite a few members now who are going to look at the bannerad and clicking on the link to see who/what this company is that has such bad grammar... but... oh wait... check out the lights they make... wow!... hey look at this one too!... I may have to buy one... or three... :whistle:

Imon

Enlightened
Effective advertising gets you talking about a company or product. You all are talking about Peak. You're increasing the number of hits the name will get in the search engines. Sounds like effective advertising to me. I'll bet we have quite a few members now who are going to look at the bannerad and clicking on the link to see who/what this company is that has such bad grammar... but... oh wait... check out the lights they make... wow!... hey look at this one too!... I may have to buy one... or three... :whistle:

I actually did take a look at their lights before I made this thread. The Mountain series of lights look pretty cool - particularly the Logan. Wish I had more info on it though.... time to search CPF for a review!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't bought a Peak light. Firefox generally keeps me free of the ads, but my Dell D820 latitude died last week so I'm on my work laptop. A "new" used D820 is at the post office waiting to be picked up - hopefully I slide in my 500 gb HD and I am off to the races.

My comment - I'm an engineer and (consequently :)) my english isn't perfect. But then again I'm not writing advertising!

If they get the easy stuff wrong - how well have they done on the hard stuff?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Well ... they could do MUCH better ....

My main thought ... when I read it .....

You don't "Peak" at things - you "peek" at em .

Wrong all the way around.

~

Coyote302

Newly Enlightened
I've been bothered by the ad as well. I've thought about mentioning it but I haven't gotten an answer to my private message questions yet. I realize we ALL make mistakes but advertising should be properly reviewed. I really like their products and think they have some good things coming but their website/advertising/distribution needs work.

I suppose someone could say that they would rather have a good product than good advertising but the counter argument has already been made - if they can't get the easy stuff correct... it just looks bad.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Peak-a-boo-boo ....... if you happen to get a bad one.

We should get paid for our further Advertising bumps.

Should we be "chillin" .. or .. are we just "shillin" ?

:devil:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It could be the start of a new trend..

peakbanner.jpg

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I've never really agreed with this philosophy.

And bad grammar has driven me to avoid more than one company before.

Lumenz

Enlightened
I've never really agreed with this philosophy.

And bad grammar has driven me to avoid more than one company before.

I agree. Spelling mistakes are more likely to make me avoid a company than to purchase something from them. And with Peak, they already make it hard enough to purchase from them as it is. They don't need the help of looking like they dropped out of grammar school when they were ten.

I'm still waiting waiting for a reply on a couple emails I had sent to them months ago. So don't expect them to respond to the misspelling email any time soon.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was gonna make a thread about it... I'm glad someone else noticed. FIX IT. Bad grammar is NOT OK for a company. That includes big companies, being based in china is not an excuse, and hiring employees who can't write a proper email is not an excuse (although I don't think either of these applies to peak).

Vesper

Enlightened
Spelling mistakes are more likely to make me avoid a company than to purchase something from them.

I totally agree. It's easy to quickly adopt a flash option on someone or something.

I used to hound a boss I had once about the way his spelling made him look. Smart guy but geeze. He did all the common mistakes mentioned here, and ALWAYS placed his ' in the wrong place. For example every time he wrote plural it was "there are new computer's down here" or similar. Would drive me nuts. :duh2:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are
You're
Your

Now what is the txting/twitter shortcut? Like B4 instead of before.

Ahhh,

UR

"If you haven't taken a peak at us recently U R missing some cool stuff."

Now to shorten the rest of the sentence .....

:nana: :devil:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was gonna make a thread about it... I'm glad someone else noticed. FIX IT. Bad grammar is NOT OK for a company. That includes big companies, being based in china is not an excuse, and hiring employees who can't write a proper email is not an excuse (although I don't think either of these applies to peak).
I suppose that the Chinese will use a "Changlicised" or "Chinglicised" version of the English language ... They invariably speak English better than I speak Mandarin.

However , it must be confusing to most non-English-speaking nations to find that there is the original English language and also an American version of the English language.

Is the word "Ain't" the negative (or opposite) of "Ain" ?

I must admit that I too hate the misuse of the English language ... Some Advertising Executives deliberately introduce spelling mistakes , such as in the Peak advert , to their advantage ... This has had the desired effect in giving their name more publicity ... Great news for Peak !

However , I dislike the grammatical mistakes that are purely careless ... It is so easy to just pick up a good dictionary now and again to check a word or even to use spell-check ... There are simple , easy to read books available that explain the proper use of the apostrophe and other common mistakes in the English language ... The use of TXT SPK is not helping in the correct use of the English language ... How long will it be before its use is allowed in English Language exams ?

I apologise in advance if I have made any mistakes here , as it has been 56 years since my exam papers were examined by the "Oxford" examination body.