Z2-S/Stratum/AZ2 vs. Centurion w/ Wolf-Eyes Q5 drop in

Jasmes

Enlightened
Hey, I've been away from CPF for ages, and now there appear to be a new generation of Surefire lights out, the Z2-S and such, as well as new (to me at least) P60 style drop-ins, so I'm struggling to figure out an answer based on what I can find on the forums. I'm also not one to trust the latest WE D26 figure of 280 lumens over Surefire's claimed 160, so screw it I'll just ask you guys for some help.

My beloved C2 was stolen from an apartment I was staying in :hairpull:, and sadly now I have to replace it. I was running it with a Wolfeyes D26 Q5 drop in.

I work in theater and live entertainment, and that Q5 drop in would throw right up to truss 40+ feet in the air with a nice bright fat hotspot, and still had sufficient spill to find stuff scattered around at a distance, or to trace a mess of cables. It was also hilariously indestructible.

I would just spring for a Z2-S or something, as I like to adopt new technology, but everyone seems to be saying it has a ton of spill. Spill is certainly good, but I have my headlamp for area lighting while I work. I'm also wondering if the new components in those lights will be as crush/drop/water/run-over-by-a-truck proof as my C2 was.

Therefore we wind up at my dilemma: Do I spring for the latest fanciest toy from Surefire in the Z2-S, which would actually be cheaper, or just recreate my sadly departed C2 w/D26 drop in?

Best,

- Jas

Tally-ho

Banned
I don't have any surefire yet (even if i'm going to buy one, one of this days) so i'm not "the best" to comment..
But i have several D26 hosts that i like a lot because they are easily upgradable with different drop-in modules. Lot of choice.
In fact i have started to "downgrade" a few of mine since i discovered that i prefered neutral and warm white that are less bright than the D26 modules with cool white XR-E.R2 or XP-G.R5 LED that were delivered with(in) my hosts.

If you want a tight beam you would probably prefer a D26 module with an XR-E.R2 + reflector (more throw with SMO reflector and more ringy beam than with OP reflector that gives less throw) or one module with a narrow angle TIR optic in place of the reflector.

The Z2-S has its LED emitter soldered within so, if your are not satisfied, it will be easier to change a module in a D26 host like Z2 CombatLight (or C2 :whistle:). That's an example and let the surefire's addicts give you more knowledgeable, more accurate and "up-to-date" advices.

Last edited:

Latest posts