want to replace my Streamlight Stinger

forrestcook

Newly Enlightened
but I have a caveat. I wear a tac vest at work which has a pouch on it designed for the stinger. So the light I get needs to be approximately the same dimensions as far as length and tube diameter... the head isn't AS important so I have a little leeway there. Please also consider the output... I don't want to downgrade in quality.

I want something reliable (my streamlight needs to be hit against a hard object to work sometimes), bright and LED (nothing less than an hour of runtime)

To top it all off, I would LOVE for this thing to be rechargeable.

If nothing out there exists like this, I suppose I can buy another stinger (why is the LED version .5" longer?) or I can buy a shorter flashlight and stuff the bottom of the pouch with something.

If anyone out there knows what I'm looking for, I figure you all do. Thanks for your time.

forrestcook

Newly Enlightened
Nothing yet, huh?

I was thinking about the inova T4 or the LED stinger. Any other rechargable options out there? I hear a lot about fenix lights, do they make rechargables?

The length is the biggest hurdle here, 7.5 inches, give or take 0.5". Shorter is an easier problem to overcome.

County

Newly Enlightened
Howdy -

I'd like to provide my recommendation for the Polystinger LED C4. You might just verify the diameter works with your pouch, as I do believe the light is a little thicker than the original Stinger.

I am recommending the Polystinger LED C4 over the metal Stinger LED C4 because it is indeed brighter (185 vs 160 lumens), and lighter.

You can save some $$ by buying the light+battery only (good price at OpticsPlanet, or Brightguy) since you probably already have a Stinger charger.

Be prepared for a night & day difference in illumination capabilities when comparing to the incan Stinger!

Sure- there are tons of other options out there, but I always come back to the simplicity and reliability of Streamlight. The Polystinger LED C4 out-throws the larger Pelican 7060.

In the meantime, I recommend sending your old Stinger to SL or the nearest authorized repair center for no hassle warranty repair. . receipt not necessary if you don't have it anymore.

Wiseguyzz_Inc_

Newly Enlightened
I have the Stinger LED Dual Switch, love it! If you want something really rugid get the Polystinger LED (single switch).... Its virtually unbreakable. Comes in the DS model as well... but is even longer....

Last edited:

BossMaverick

Newly Enlightened
I would third the motion for you to look at a new polystinger led. My coworker has one and it's leaps ahead of my incan stinger HP. If length is a problem, get the standard switch over the dual switch as there is a 1/4" or so of difference. You would also be saving a little money as you already should have a charger for it so all you really need is the light only option.

Wiseguyzz_Inc_

Newly Enlightened
I would third the motion for you to look at a new polystinger led. My coworker has one and it's leaps ahead of my incan stinger HP. If length is a problem, get the standard switch over the dual switch as there is a 1/4" or so of difference. You would also be saving a little money as you already should have a charger for it so all you really need is the light only option.

Agreed, he has the charger already, why not utilize it for the new light.... Completely forgot about that....

BossMaverick

Newly Enlightened
I just checked the streamlight website. The polystinger LED is 8.07" long and the DS is 8.64" long. If your holder can only hold a 8" light, there would be no way to fit the DS.

forrestcook

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input, all. I've already had the switch replaced once, but the light has seen 4 years of abuse and it's still not doing so great. What's the expected life span on these lights?

I'll look into the polystinger, hopefully a local shop has one so I can test it in the vest first, though I don't think it will be too long or too wide. As for the dual switch, I like the side clickies better than the tailcaps so that solves that dilemma. I've got a surefire E2DL as my backup light, and I just don't feel as much in control with a tailcap switch.

I hadn't thought about being able to keep my current charger and saving that money, nice point. I didn't know I'd be able to use the incan charger for the LED light.

BossMaverick

Newly Enlightened
My stinger (with the incan HP upgrade) is 10+ years old. They have a lifetime warranty that streamlight stands by. I've had the switch replaced a few times over the years and was never charged for it (mostly because the rubber cap fails). If your light is having problems, check with your local police supply store to see if they service streamlights as a lot of them do. If they do, chances are they will be able to fix it while you wait. If your store doesn't, you can send it to streamlight and they have a decent turn around time. Generally what goes bad on the stingers (besides batteries) is the switch assembly as it also contains the charging contacts and such. I did get a defective switch assembly once that would short out the light after a couple minutes of being on but once that defective switch was replaced I haven't had problems. They also can replace your lens if it is beat up but you have to ask (I've never been charged for a lens either).

If your battery is over a couple years old, I would suggest getting a new one. The last battery I bought was from ebay and was an off brand (it was like $6 shipped). I haven't noticed a major difference between the cheap battery and a streamlight brand battery with the disclaimor that I've only had the battery for about 8 months. With a new switch, lens, and battery, your stinger should perform like new. If your looking to upgrade, I would suggest getting a new light and fixing your stinger and keep it around for a backup or household flashlight.

If your interested in the polystinger LED, optics planet has the polystinger LED (without charger) on sale right now for $84 with free shipping.

forrestcook

Newly Enlightened
What about the strion series? They're shorter, but I can always stuff some gloves in the bottom of the pouch.

BossMaverick

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I don't have experience with the strion's, but I'm guessing the new LED strions would still be good lights.

Wiseguyzz_Inc_

Newly Enlightened
What about the strion series? They're shorter, but I can always stuff some gloves in the bottom of the pouch.

I have a Strion LED... Prolly my favorite light that I own... Compact, superbright, 4 lighting modes, plus its rechargable:thumbsup:

You won't be dissapointed

forrestcook

Newly Enlightened
I went down to my local LE shop who is a streamlight dealer and looked at the goods... I discovered that I really don't have room for anything longer than what I have and played around with a Strion LED. Other than the tailcap button, I was very impressed with the light.

End result? I have a new Strion LED light. Yeah - I compromised on the tailcap button, but the light itself is very nice. Like anything else, I can train with the tailcap and be more confident with it.

It seems to be every bit as bright as my surefire E2DL even though the specs claim a 40 lumen disadvantage. The hotspot is narrower than the surefire, but the throw seems to be equal.

Both of the LED lights shame my poor stinger... but I'll be keeping it around as my third light in the car.

KLowD9x

Banned
The Stinger LED seems to have a longer head.

The Streamlight PT2L is really nice and comes with a holster that you could possibly hang on the inside of the pocket.