Which is the best webite for online photo storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I am fairly new to CPF I just signed up with Photobucket so that I can attach photos into my posts.

I have attached photos just yesterday to my posts without problems.

Logging into Photobucket seems a bit hit and miss today.

Is that the story with most free accounts?

I was wondering who most of you guys deal with for online photo storage?

I would like to hear some sucess stories and find a fast and reliable site.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which is the best webite for online phote storage?

I've always used imgshack with much success.

jellydonut

Enlightened

Photobucket is useless. I use Imageshack or Flickr.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Photobucket has always worked fine for me, since 2003. I do always resize myself first and there's maybe only a hundred pics total, but it's always performed with no problems.

Geoff

Colorblinded

Enlightened

Generally speaking I've just used photobucket for junk images for web use. I put my actual photos on my site and on flickr as well.

I've never much liked photobucket to be honest. It's a horrendously clunky site but I just have been too lazy to switch to imageshack. One of these days I suppose I'll look in to doing that.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened

I've been using photobucket for a long time. The site is somewhat clunky, especially if you move your photos into different folders (which will then break the links).

How is imageshack better? I used them a long time ago, but found that photobucket was better. Snapshot in time, from around 2005 probably.

I think Flickr is nice, but the free accounts seem to have very little storage, and it doesn't seem as friendly for posting pics directly on forums.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've only used Imageshack so I really can't compare but it's easy to use especially resizing and getting the forum codes.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use ImageShack for several pictures and TinyPic for single ones.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use tinypic.com
there are a lot of ads, be sure to go on using firefox with ad-block plus installed.

Imon

Enlightened

Photobucket has always worked pretty well for me...
Also, they give you all the image codes and stuff for easier forum use.

Also, this thread is totally in the wrong forum.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I appreciate all of the comments.

Forgive my ignorance of this post placement as I am only new to CPF.

And yes I think this post should be somewhere else, but where?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Maybe it's just my computer, but occasionally images here at CPF will load very very slowly. Invariably these are from Imageshack.

Geoff

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many ISP accounts come with some free unrestricted directory storage space (web space), usually around 5 - 10 Megabytes. Very simple HTML and FTP (file transfer protocol) skills are all that is required to host your own photos for free on the directory folder on your account. If you contact your ISP most of them are more than happy to help you with this and many people use these directory folders to host entire web sites.

You don't need to have your own web site, all you need is as folder in your account's directory (at your ISP) to send the photos to and then all you need to do is use CPF's HTML feature to link (tell) CPF where your photo is located (it's URL). The folder is just like any folder on your own computer but it is simply located on a different computer, the one at your ISP.

You send the photos to your ISP using any good FREE FTP client (software). FileZilla (Windows and other platforms) and Cyberduck (Mac specific) are excellent.

So, let's say you put a folder in your ISP directory that's you've named "cpf" and you sent some photos to it using the FTP client. You've put a photo in the folder called "flashlight.jpg" and you want to post it on CPF. Now all you need to do is tell CPF what path to take to get to the "flashlight.jpg" image that's in your folder (it's address or URL).

The path may look like this:
http://www.anynameisp.com/~myusername/cpf/flashlight.jpg
(this bogus address may create a link but it won't go anywhere, it's for demonstration only)

When you do this your photo(s) will magically appear in your CPF posting.

There is a bit of a learning curve here but it's really not that hard and it can save you some money as well as give you much faster image loading than when you are hosting on a very heavily used photo hosting server.

Another good method is to use the free FireFTP add-on right inside your Firefox brower.

This is a handy page that may help you get your mind around how to do this and some Google searching will help you learn about this too.

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened

Flickr worked well for me for years and then all of the sudden, a few months ago I believe, it had a major change. No longer am I able to post pics in forums such as this, for all to see. One has to be a member in order to see my stuff. That's lame!:mad:

I need to find a new site.

Here's what I get now when I attempt to share a pic I've labeled as "public", not private:

And here using their alternate method using HTML:

a%3E

And here using their alternate method BB code, whatever that is

Last edited:

Colorblinded

Enlightened

Flickr worked well for me for years and then all of the sudden, a few months ago I believe, it had a major change. No longer am I able to post pics in forums such as this, for all to see. One has to be a member in order to see my stuff. That's lame!:mad:

I need to find a new site.
That shouldn't be the case, in fact I don't believe anything has actually changed that should prevent that. They do have a new look now and the option for sharing images is in a different place now. They've also actually made it easier now, since they offer a BBcode option so I no longer need a greasemonkey script to take care of that.

lightsandknives

Enlightened

That shouldn't be the case, in fact I don't believe anything has actually changed that should prevent that. They do have a new look now and the option for sharing images is in a different place now. They've also actually made it easier now, since they offer a BBcode option so I no longer need a greasemonkey script to take care of that.

I couldn't link mine last week when I tried. It's certainly not the same way I did them in the past. I tried linking Flickr images every way I could find, but couldn't make them show up.

mzil

Enlightened

Would you do me a favor and please post a Flickr pic of yours right here in this thread, using our forum's "Insert Image" icon, not just a link to the pic, thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I don't have an imageshack account but pictures I put up on CPF over 4 years ago are mostly still showing while there are many newer thread with photobucket stock "can't find" images in the forum. Either they deleted the pics or photobucket canned the images for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.