Best Flashlight for CAMPING?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think is presently the best flashlight for camping? I define such a light as one with the best blend of maximal runtime, bright light, low weight, compactness, water resistance, toughness (resistance to bumps and drops), and use of cheap, commonly-available batteries.

In addition to the above, the ability to operate as a lantern or candle would be a plus, as would regulated output (to get brighter light, longer), a battery indicator, adjustable brightness level, and a wrist strap or lanyard clip.

The beam should give a decent flood effect for close use as would be necessary in a campsite, on a trail, looking for things in a backpack, etc., but ideally should also provide either moderate throw or be adjustable to do so (such as by refocusing). Given the importance of close use, the flood itself should have as few artifacts as possible.

Off the top of my head, the SL ProPolymer 4AA 7 LED meets some of the above criteria, but definitely not all of them!

What else is up to the challenge as presented above?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people find that you don't need more than 3 or 4 LEDs for a camping light, because your eyes are already adjusted to near-total darkness. If you think that you might occasionally need a bright light with throw, you could bring an incandescent as a backup.

The Lightwave 2100 is simple, durable, and bright. It uses three AA batteries that are easy to replace. The downside is that its output is not adjustable.

The Eternalight (several models) is durable and has adjustable brightness. The downside is that the batteries are a PITA to change while camping. It uses three AA batteries also.

The Streamlight Twin-Task 3AA might be something to consider. It runs from three AA batteries and gives you the option of a bright incandescent light or three LEDs for long runtime. I don't own this light, but I have the 3C model and it's very nice.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My vote is for the Streamlight TT-3C. Uses 3 "C" batteries and has three light levels...3 LED, 6 LED, Xenon. Runtimes are impressive.

Also take a look at the Anglelux...military style benthead flashlight...1w LS on 2x"D" cells and gets a runtime to 50% brightness of 24 hours.

jtice

Flashaholic
I agree,,, get the 3C Tasklight.
Or the SL PP 4AA.

Do NOT get the 2D Tasklight,,,, I hear its not near as bright as the 3C one.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
This is a case where the brightest light is not necessarily the best light. It is also a case where the most expensive light may not be the best choice either. Cast in point, a $30.00 TT Streamlight would be a far better choice than a $87.00 E2E Surefire. The Surefire will be using 123 Lithium batteries that will last about an hour at $1.25 each. The E2E's lamp is rated for 20 hours and will cost you $16.00 to replace. In other words the Surefire is going to cost you almost $3.00 and hour to operate it but you will be able to impress the other campers with how small and bright it is. The 3C TT Streamlight will cost you pennies an hour to operate. A Streamlight TT Xenon Lamp cost $2.50 each and figure $3.00 for 3 C cells. With a run time of 160/100 hours on the LED and 3 hours on the Xenon you will operate the Streamlight for less than 4 cents an hour. You can go with the typical Surefire for dollars an hour or a Streamlight for pennies an hour. The ARC will not cost so much to operate but would you want a light that small for a camping light? I think of the ARC as EDCs.

It will be hard to find a light that will meet your criteria better than the Streamlight Twin Task. The 3C 10 LED Streamlight may be a good choice and you can run that sucker for less than 1 cent an hour.

James

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Streamlight 3C TT and haven't ever gotten to try one, either. I've got three thoughts about it: (1) how big and heavy is it? C cells sound relatively heavy; (2) is the output regulated, or will it get dimmer and dimmer over time? and how long is the runtime, especially if using the incandescent? (3) C cells don't give you the option of using lithiums for cold weather camping, although I suppose you could fit it with 3AA lithiums using some sort of adapter... but then the light's bigger than it needs and being driven by cells with lesser energy capacity.

How does the SL 3AA TT compare to the 3C TT? Seems like it might be a good alternative, given the smaller size/weight and the option to use lithiums if necessary.

Regardless, I think one thing that ALWAYS makes sense these days is to carry something like an ARC AAA or Infinity Ultra-G as a backup light, perhaps on a neck lanyard. That way you've got some lightweight insurance in the event that you drop your primary flashlight in a river or off a cliff, leave it somewhere by accident, or any of myriad other "whoops" scenarios.

But I'm still not sold on any of these lights.

What about MadMax fitted to a Brinkmann Legend 2AA, and perhaps adjusted to lower output for longer runtime... just how long-running, and how bright, would those be?

And would any of these options work well as a tent light, or in candle mode?

LightofMine, I think your operating cost analysis makes a LOT of sense with any of the possible choices; it's actually more important in the long run than the initial cost of the light itself... definitely something to think about.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

V8TOYOTATRK, I agree with you that 123 cells should be considered cheap and commonplace at $1.25 each. Still, at least for now, most brick-and-mortar stores gouge people over these batteries... $5, maybe even $10 each! And I can't see nearly as much chance for success having to get some spares in this size from a fellow backpacker out in the woods. Hopefully our day will come soon enough, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Lightofmine said. With the TT's, ANY of them, good run time, long throw, LED longevity, inexpensive, great quality,, and yes, as good as SF in most respects.

We need to define parameters here. If you want to collect BMW's, or Surefires, because they "cost" so much, fine. We are not doing beam shots here, we're talking about real world use, and value.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The MiniMag with the Opalec New Beam Module doesn't focus or adjust. It's one hell of a campers flashlight. If you are camping, where there is no background light, it really shines. My brother, his son and I were truly impressed with it. It has 8+ hours of regulated light with a flood beam that is perfect. You normally do not want a bright flashlight when your eyes are accommodated to the dark. It's also great for fishing, hiking and blackouts. The batteries are available everywhere too. If you want a bright flashlight that has throw, bring another flashlight. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't use it much though. Maybe to impress others.
oldgrandpajack

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If weight is an issue, I'd go with the TwinTask 2L. It is not big or heavy and is a really good compromise between useful LED flood, incan. semi-spot AND runtime. Add in an Infinity CMG Ultra with a spare lithium AA and you're good for just about every situation.

Jon

paulr

Flashaholic
The Princton Tec Attitude seems to be a favorite around here. It has three LED's (so it's quite a bit brighter than a one-LED light like a CMG Ultra) and runs on four AAA's for good runtime. It's bright enough for 90% of camping needs. For the other 10% it might be useful to bring a brighter light like a PT Rage (nice companion for the identically sized Attitude), or the smaller/lighter PT Blast (2AAA) or the brighter but more expensive UKE 2L.

I don't see a particular need to have a single do-everything "Swiss Army Light" rather than several best-for-their-purpose lights if the total weight is comparable. Remember that there's always a chance of losing a light, so having several is good.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Princton Tec Attitude seems to be a favorite around here. It has three LED's (so it's quite a bit brighter than a one-LED light like a CMG Ultra) and runs on four AAA's for good runtime. It's bright enough for 90% of camping needs. For the other 10% it might be useful to bring a brighter light like a PT Rage (nice companion for the identically sized Attitude), or the smaller/lighter PT Blast (2AAA) or the brighter but more expensive UKE 2L.

I don't see a particular need to have a single do-everything "Swiss Army Light" rather than several best-for-their-purpose lights if the total weight is comparable. Remember that there's always a chance of losing a light, so having several is good.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some very good suggestions here, let me pick out some of the best.

1) One single flashlight is a bad idea, lose your only flashlight your toast. Also any single flashlight that does everything your asking for, will do no single task well.

2) My SL TT 3-C weights a ton and is twice the size it should be. If you are backpacking forget it.

3) As has been said you have two basic tasks here, up close in tent, finding stuff in pack etc. The second task is walking a path at night or checking for something that goes bump in the night, you'd want more light and a better throw.

My suggestion would be the PT Attitude (3-LEDS and 4-AAA), mine is tiny, pockable, long lasting and inexpensive. My second suggestion would be any two lithium light- Scorpion, SF G2, SF E2e, etc. Used judicously both lights will last a week of camping.

In any case carry a second set of batteries for both!!!! The PT attitude, and SF G2 and a second set of batteries for both, will be smaller and lighter than the SL 3c TT.

GregR

grnamin

Enlightened
Until the Princeton Tec Yukon HL and Matrix 2 come out, I would go with a Petzl Tikka Plus. You get a four 5mm LED package with 3 brightness levels and a blinker mode. Sooner or later you'll wish you had your hands free instead of holding a light in one. I highly suggest having a headlamp as part of your camping light ensemble.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eternaLight XRay, ELiteXRay, or EliteMAX would be a good one.
It has the night beacon feature, which would make it a bit more difficult to lose.
All three are dimable (12 levels), have signal & S.O.S. modes, can be used as a nightlight, and run on "cheap and commonplace" AA cells.
You won't need to change cells during anything close to a normal camping trip, and if you do, you only need a #1 Phillips, which is included with the light.

I made a lantern adaptor for mine.
eternaLight Lantern-stand (w/photos)

fc4bf853.jpg

As far as 123 cells being cheap or commonplace, that's kind of funny. I live in a small town. You can get them here, for $7.99 + tax each. Not cheap, not commonplace. Even if I could get them at $1.25 each, I wouldn't call them cheap. Not even affordable, really.

As far as lithiums for cold weather, I think that they're overrated.

Check out the second article on this page, where Stacy Taniguchi (Climbing member of the AAI Everest 2000 Expedition) praises his eternaLight, with alkalines:
LED Flashlights on Everest

He even states, "The eternaLight headlamp used 3 AA alkaline batteries and I used the light several hours each day. I used the same batteries during the entire two months!"

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
yup, actually when camping a few 5mm leds is enough,
i really like my inova x5t for camping. does'nt get too hot, long run time, sufficiently bright... even in the tent the x5 was too bright, prolly something like a cmg infinity for inside the tent would do...
i think a lithium incandescent like an e2e an the x5 would be good, besides even if u run down the batteries in the e2 you can dump them in the x5 and still get decent light...

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see the Attitude getting the support it deserves! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as batteries... I always recommend rechargeables (NiMH) to folks for routine use. They are hugely cheaper and much friendlier to the environment.

Having said that...if a LED light on NiMH meets most of your lighting needs and you carry a 123a based light for spotlighting those "bump in the night" sounds then you'll likely use very few of those lithium batteries.