Newbie needs help with understanding flashlight anatomy & terminology

jcalvert

Enlightened
Help please!

I have been a CPF member for over a week now and I have been reading the forums for months in order to help myself purchase a high tech flashlight.

Now that I have purchased a few lights, I have come to realize that I need an easily accessible source of very detailed flashlight anatomy and terminology to better understand what I have in hand, to better understand the content of threads, to better prepare my own threads, etc.

If anyone can turn me on to a CPF thread, a book, or any other source of information to help educate those of us with very limited understanding of these flashlight topics, I would appreciate the help!

All the best,
John

jcalvert

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277224

I've been wanting to make an updated guide, but have been either too busy, or forgetful to do it :twak:

Thank you, this should be a great start, but I will look forward to your eventual updated version.

Additionally, are there any books available on the same topics and a book(s) about customizing and modifying flashlights as well. One day down the road, I can see getting into customizing and modifying as a relaxing, table top hobby.

The reason I'm asking for books is that with a bad back and hip replacement, sitting at the computer to read takes its toll after a while. Being able to sit back, relax and read a hobbyist educational book would be perfect.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

All the best,
John

jcalvert

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277224

I've been wanting to make an updated guide, but have been either too busy, or forgetful to do it :twak:

csshih,

Since you are an administrator, I hope you don't mind if I ask a seperate question.

Although I looked through the FAQ's, I could not find how to close out one of my own threads. I think I may want to do so and start over with a new thread because replies have gotten off track and now slowed down to a halt. I take responsability for that because I think my original title and subsequent edited titles were not specific enough. Thanks!

All the best,
John

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
csshih,

Since you are an administrator, I hope you don't mind if I ask a seperate question.

Although I looked through the FAQ's, I could not find how to close out one of my own threads. I think I may want to do so and start over with a new thread because replies have gotten off track and now slowed down to a halt. I take responsability for that because I think my original title and subsequent edited titles were not specific enough. Thanks!

All the best,
John
Hey John,

I'm not an admin on CPF, I wouldn't know what to do with the power! :oops:

only on the site I link in my sigline am I admin.

unfortunately, you cannot close your own threads, you will have to ask a moderator or admin.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hey John,

I'm not an admin on CPF, I wouldn't know what to do with the power! :oops:

only on the site I link in my sigline am I admin.

unfortunately, you cannot close your own threads, you will have to ask a moderator or admin.

OK! Thanks!

John