CNET News - LED bulbs in the home: So far, so good

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very interesting CNET news article about LED home lighting. Still expensive, but gaining ground. Have a read....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20016005-54.html?tag=nl.e703

A 40 watt equivalent LED bulb that uses only 9 watts.
LED_hand2.jpg

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wake me up when they don't give off headache inducing light.
NYC has a experimental LED lighting retrofitted into 5 subway cars. It's eeriely BLUE

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Looks can be deceiving, but that appears to be a Viribright led bulb being held in the photo. I've done a little reading about their line and they claim their cool white model is between 5,600K and 6,000K. Their warm white version specs at apprx. 2,900K. I'm not very good at speculating, but I'm hopeful and optimistic about led home lighting being competitively priced with CFL in the not so distant future.

That was an interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think by the time LEDs are cheap and twice as efficient as fluorescent lights people may start to invest in new light fixtures to take advantage of the energy savings. LED incan replacements are hampered by design and cost while a LED designed fixture could end up being cheaper and more efficient as heat would be better handled and larger power supplies could be used instead of stuffed in a light bulb shape.