Thoughts on the sunwayled M10R vs Fenix digital PD20?

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have been looking around at different types of one cell led's. I bought a surefire E1b yesterday, Im waiting on the LX1 and I just came across this little M10R, anyone have any thoughts or experiences with it? Its the first time Ive ever really heard/seen anything about this light. It seems like a pretty good deal with 190 lumens for around $70, and it looks like there is quite a bit of quality involved. But Im not sure that is why I ask! My selling points would be the small size under 3.5 inches (great for edc) and 190 lumens. what do you think? Enlighten me.... ;)
Edit: Hmmm Just noticed the Fenix digital PD20, Maybe this is something to look into? Which to get which to get...

All comments are appreciated! Thanks!

lovecpf

Last edited:

Quension

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thoughts on the sunwayled M10R?

There are some reviews on it, most of which are in the Similar Threads section at the bottom of this page (why the actual forum search can't be that good is beyond me; :tsk: vBulletin!). The biggest complaints seem to be the spacing of some of the output levels, and the control ring moving backwards compared to most other models.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thoughts on the sunwayled M10R?

Also look at the Jetbeam RRT-0
Hey guys,

I have been looking around at different types of one cell led's. I bought a surefire E1b yesterday, Im waiting on the LX1 and I just came across this little M10R, anyone have any thoughts or experiences with it? Its the first time Ive ever really heard/seen anything about this light. It seems like a pretty good deal with 190 lumens for around $70, and it looks like there is quite a bit of quality involved. But Im not sure that is why I ask! My selling points would be the small size under 3.5 inches (great for edc) and 190 lumens. what do you think? Enlighten me.... ;)
Edit: Hmmm Just noticed the Fenix PD20, Maybe this is something to look into?

All comments are appreciated! Thanks!

lovecpf

JA(me)S

Enlightened
I love the design of the M10R; the execution? - not so much... XR-E, no Li-ion support, level spacing & number, counter-intuitive ring direction. Just doesn't do it for me...

I really wanted to like this light - but I'll wait. It has tremendous potential.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me M10R has been the worst purchase of 2010. Very ringy beam and an awful spacing of the levels. Also the strobe is too easily accessible but this might not be a defect to somebody.

With Fenix it is difficult to go wrong (I have 18 of them).

specimen

Newly Enlightened
I wait for the next version of m10R with XP-G

The counter clockwise is not the weak point for me. It was desinged to work in single right hand. You can imagine that how your thumb move clockwise and counter clockwise.

When it upgrade to XP-G. I will have it.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just placed an order yesterday for a fenix pd20+ (there are 2 versions). I intend on posting my thoughs about it when it arrives. In any case, the sunwayman M10R (god I hate the new name) seems like a nice light but this is such a new company that's never been tested (warranty, customer service, etc) that I would be hesitant. The PD20 has gotten some pretty good reviews so you might want to consider it.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've got the PD20 and it's been a work horse so far. It feels solid, it's pretty bright for its size, and has a pretty simple UI. It's not perfect though, my PD20 has a yellowish/greenish beam, the dreaded reverse clicky, and it doesn't accept rechargeables. But like I said, it's still a solid light and after having been dropped on several occasions during use, it still keeps on going. :thumbsup:

If you like the UI/look of the M10R, you may want to check out the JetBeam RRT-0. The RRT-0 seems to have more of a track record than the newer M10R.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
I've got the PD20 and it's been a work horse so far. It feels solid, it's pretty bright for its size, and has a pretty simple UI. It's not perfect though, my PD20 has a yellowish/greenish beam, the dreaded reverse clicky, and it doesn't accept rechargeables. But like I said, it's still a solid light and after having been dropped on several occasions during use, it still keeps on going. :thumbsup:

If you like the UI/look of the M10R, you may want to check out the JetBeam RRT-0. The RRT-0 seems to have more of a track record than the newer M10R.

Alright thanks man! and what do you mean by "reverse clicky"?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

PD20 or PD20+? Uses 2 different emitters. Too bad about your yellowish/greenish beam, I hope mine doesn't have the same fate, I guess when you look at my track record with luck the forecast isn't good.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Alright thanks man! and what do you mean by "reverse clicky"?

A reverse clicky activates the light on only after you've completely pressed the button (clicky) and released it...i.e. there's no momentary on from the "off" position.

While a forward clicky allows you to activate the light momentarily if you half-press and hold the button (clicky) down, but will turn off once you release the button. While a full-press and release of a forward clicky will give you constant-on.

I hope that makes sense.

HIDblue

Enlightened
PD20 or PD20+? Uses 2 different emitters. Too bad about your yellowish/greenish beam, I hope mine doesn't have the same fate, I guess when you look at my track record with luck the forecast isn't good.

I have the older PD20. No worries about the beam, it's still a great pocket EDC light.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
A reverse clicky activates the light on only after you've completely pressed the button (clicky) and released it...i.e. there's no momentary on from the "off" position.

While a forward clicky allows you to activate the light momentarily if you half-press and hold the button (clicky) down, but will turn off once you release the button. While a full-press and release of a forward clicky will give you constant-on.

I hope that makes sense.

It does make sense! thank you for clearing it up, So it wont act just like my E1e does? You have to use full clicks each time instead. Oh well, I think i could get used to it.
thanks bro

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Alrighty guys I decided agains the M10R and went with the better known better repped brand and got the Fenix PD20+ Im really excited for this little light to get here. That is my biggest reason for getting this is the sheer size and power of it. It will be my smallest light and its gonna be so cool!! lol :D

Thanks for everyones input!

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope that makes sense.

The reverse clickies are good only for change the modes keeping the lights on! :)

RobCob

Newly Enlightened
How bout the updated versions (pd 22 vs m10r with xp-g)? Anyone have any comments on side mode selector button vs magnetic ring?