18500 Lion battery length variations in my Olight M30.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using 2 x 18500s in my Olight M30 Triton and it has been sucessful until 11 months into its use.

Newcomers to the Lion battery scene like myself thought there was probably a standard to adhere to similar to alkaline batteries etc.

Not so it seems.

I now have a huge problem with the screw threads wearing out. A picture of this problem is attached below.

It now only holds by one and a half turns instead of about four.

I have taken a photo of the threads after I have wiped a fair bit of the silicone grease off.

There are no signs of cross threading and the wear is very consistent and tapered towards the end.

The photo shows a comparison between my current threads and a new thread from the battery extender.

IMG_5978.jpg

The torch has been send back to the dealer and the thread that I posted discussing whether battery length played a major part in my thread problem is posted is below.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290911

Upon inspection the dealer and I can only speculate that the longer Ultrafire batteries may have exerted extra pressure on the torch during battery changes.

They are only a few mm or 1/8" longer but it may be enough to cause trouble.

Have you guys seen a lot of variation in the 18500 batteries or had a similar thread problem? :wave: