StreamLight TL-2 mod with Ecan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This build that I did is hardly warranted but it does show the viability of using the Ecan and an appropriate sink slug to allow for various converters as well as 1 and 5W LED's. I went to the added trouble of modifying and integrating a PM6 reflector since the reflector that came with this particular light was a smooth polished one and I prefer the textured reflectors for beam shaping.

both.jpg

The modified light is the one on the left sporting the nickel plated tab. You can see that the PM6 reflector is deeper and comes in tighter to the LED. Below, and again on the left, is the Ecan module and threaded PM6 reflector compared to the stock issue on the right.

modules-reflectors.jpg

The beams from these lights are too similar to justify beam shots. The mod has a fixed focus and its center hot spot is slightly larger in diameter as well as yielded a lux measure of 1160 over the stock ones reading of 940 lux (both at roughly 1 meter). I used a R2H in the mod so it is likely an unfair advantage. Also unknown is the current going to the stock LED. The constant current going to the mod is 450 mA via a wizard buck/boost converter. Even though the wizard is not a real efficient converter, it requires 350 mA of input current at 5.8 volts whereas the stock unit pulls 516 mA at 5.8 volts. Duh! I guess if the resistor is in series then the stock unit is putting out 516 mA to the LED at 5.8 volts, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well no real new ground covered here but it was nice to confirm the functional fit of the Ecan for the TL-2. One can certainly visit this light with other intended photon pumps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are an insomniac, you might want to mark this thread as a favorite! I suppose a screen saver showing grass growing would work as well..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, McGizmo. Good to see the E-can in action. I think this is a great host for a 5W mod...next on my list as a matter of fact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Don it is interesting your mod is non-focusing because that is apparently indeed the way SL is going -- I got sent a proto TL3 5W (which I promised to review -- and yes I'm getting to it eventually) that has a fixed collar with the beam preset to an optimal spot, does not defocus from that, and the reason is the aluminum collar provides even better heatsinking because the NEXT iteration of this light will be running at higher (and regulated!) output...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

That is interesting! Although I didn't state it here, On the web page I put up about this mod, I did comment on how the fixed focus provides for better thermal relief. Hummmmm.

I look forward to your review!

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Charlie,

That is interesting! Although I didn't state it here, On the web page I put up about this mod, I did comment on how the fixed focus provides for better thermal relief. Hummmmm.

I look forward to your review!

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Although great minds think alike, even greater minds think like a major company's R&D minds! Do you mind? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Much as I would love to honor your lookin' forward to my review, between the McModule run and testing/packing/shipping the dang Ram switches, not to mention my Regular life as full-time worker, full-time husband and full-time dad, PLUS the fact my wife has me remodeling our kitchen right now (Oh, I didn't mention that?), to say that I have no life (nor lives) left at the end of each day would be a gross understatement indeed...oops, gotta get back to the bench -- now where did I put my Metcal?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
YC,

Funny how that happens??!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charlie,

I understand and all good things in time. I guess you are probably glad the Metcal shuts itself off if left unattended for a while?

- Don

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Don it is interesting your mod is non-focusing because that is apparently indeed the way SL is going -- I got sent a proto TL3 5W (which I promised to review -- and yes I'm getting to it eventually) that has a fixed collar with the beam preset to an optimal spot, does not defocus from that, and the reason is the aluminum collar provides even better heatsinking because the NEXT iteration of this light will be running at higher (and regulated!) output...

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE inside gossip like this!!!!

Charlie, do tell us more . . . What about the future of the LS 3AA (the LGI from Streamlight!)

What else is waiting in the wings????