mini-mag electrical cleanup

donn_

Flashaholic
I have a splash anodized mini-mag which was not masked before anodizing, so it is coated inside and out.

Where do I need to clean off the anodizing to provide the electrical circuit?

:thanks:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I could be wrong, but from my memory there are two junctions:
-tailcap threads/body tail threads
-underside of the lip that holds the switch (or retains a sandwich) in the body

That second one in particular will be a pain...
Do you have a stock mini-mag body? The easiest way to check is just look at where there is bare aluminum on that.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Hack On Wheels has said, the underside of the lip and the tailcap. If you had the tailcap ano'd as well then you'll need to figure out if you want to strip the ano off of the threads on both the body and the tail cap or if you want to strip ano off of the end of the body tube and the matching area on the tail cap. The last option might be visible upon close inspection but the first option would be more of a pain to do. Also, remember that the recess in the tail cap where the spring sits needs to be bare aluminum, too.

Come to think of it, the way I would do it is to take a wood dowel of the correct diameter and glue some 400 grit sandpaper to the very end of it. Just push that inside of the body and give it a few good twists against the flat behind the end of the tube. For the threads, maybe some medium grit polishing compound on the threads then screw the tailcap on and off a few times until you get bare metal to metal contact.

donn_

Flashaholic
You were mostly right, Hack. Those three spots, plus the socket the spring sits in. Took about 10 minutes with the Foredom.

IMGP3421.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Also, remember that the recess in the tail cap where the spring sits needs to be bare aluminum, too.

Come to think of it, the way I would do it is to take a wood dowel of the correct diameter and glue some 400 grit sandpaper to the very end of it. Just push that inside of the body and give it a few good twists against the flat behind the end of the tube. For the threads, maybe some medium grit polishing compound on the threads then screw the tailcap on and off a few times until you get bare metal to metal contact.

Good catch on the spring recess, PCC. I totally overlooked that one! Nice advice on cleaning too; the wood dowel and sandpaper suggestion is a nifty idea.

donn, that looks amazing! :eek:oo: My stock anodized minimag bodies just aren't cutting it anymore.. Who made the tailcap? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Yavox

Enlightened
You were mostly right, Hack. Those three spots, plus the socket the spring sits in. Took about 10 minutes with the Foredom.

IMGP3421.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

Very nice looking light. Where did you get the tailcap from?

donn_

Flashaholic
I bought a load of mini, mini-mini and mini-mini-mini Mags and parts over two years ago. That tail was described as

"..super unique hex stainless steel tailcap with a brushed finish."

I have no idea who made it.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should get a 5/8 X 28TPI die and make my own tailcaps out of aluminum. Hmm, the ideas are flowing through my head. Or is that post-nasal drip? :D

donn, that ano job is outstanding. Whomever did that has some serious skills.