goodness! what am I about to do, 1981 Audi 5000?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for another work car to put 4,000, miles per year on and I've come across a garaged, 1981 Audi 5000 turbo with 85,000 miles on it. They are asking $2400 for it and it's supposed to be extremely clean. From the picture, it is very pristine looking. I was wondering if any of this esteemed group has any expeience with this period car, I'm hoping to get a few comments from practical eperience. I'm going to look at it Monday morning so I was hoping for a bit of wisdom,
thanks,

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I wouldn't have a turbo anything that's 20 years old. If the turbo fails the car's totaled unless you convert it to run non-turbo.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked on most every make of car there is. The two that stand above the rest in being the all around, most difficult to work on are Saab and Audi. Every time I drive one and think to myself that they are half decent, I remind myself of the times I have spent swearing at them. I remind myself of how you pratically need to dump out your toolbox because both use every type of fastener known to man with no logical system. And I remind myself of the rediculous parts prices.

That said, if you have enough money that you can take your car and your credit card to a good mechanic and say "Fix it", go for it. Both have redeeming qualities if you can ignore their repair issues. I'm not a fan of how Saabs drive or their ergonomics, but they have such a cult following that they must appeal to someone. The Audis appeal more to me in their quality and driving, and slightly better ergonomics, but there is still that repair issue...

And I disagree with Dave's comments regarding turbo cars.

Mark

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
just be sure to put your foot on the brake not accelerater when you put it in gear.
lots of accidents with unwanted acceleration.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
nearly every make and model has a group of enthusiests that can point you to any part you need.most turbo deaths are due to maintainence issues anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
I wouldn't have a turbo anything that's 20 years old. If the turbo fails the car's totaled unless you convert it to run non-turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Audi made a very critical design error that resulted in the Unintended Acceleration campaign that almost doomed the company and is still spread about by people to this day. They made the horrible mistake of putting the gas pedal next to the brake pedal and allowing American drivers to operate the vehicle...

Mark

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Let me rephrase my comment about a failed turbo. If I lost my turbo in a car I owned for $2,400 and it cost me $1,000 to repair (It's always a min. of $800 when I take an import in but I don't know what a new turbo would cost), the car would be totaled. I am sure it could be fixed cheaper if I did it myself but I am no mechanic. If a repair exceeds 40% of the total value of my car, it's totaled. If I wanted a good but very inexpensive to buy and maintain auto, the Audi would not be on my list. I don't care for imports but I would feel more confident with a 1990 Corolla or Prism with 150k miles for $2,400 than I would a 22 year old Audi.

I once bought a BMW for $7,000 and had it less than 6 months. After the third trip to the shop in 3 months at a cost over $800 per trip the car was totaled in my mind. I didn't fix it again and sold it for $3,500 (needing another $800+ of work)

I have seen a number of older turbo cars traded in with bad Turbo's. Fixing them would often cost more than 50% of their value.

Being totaled doesn't mean the car is un-repairable or un-drivable it just means you are throwing more money at a car than its value justifies.

They make and sell so many different cars because everyone has a different opinion. It's all in the eye of the beholder. My favorite is the person wanting a Corolla because it's such a reliable car but wouldn't even consider a Prizm even though it's the same car with different badging.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love mazda.s ive had em with like 250.000 my uncles 323 had like 300,000 miles on it. every one we had gets at least 200,000. maybe we was lucky but . i love em .

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an 83 Peugeot which won't die but I'm really tired of it. I'm off to check out some Acura Legend (1989) an 1993 Audio 90 S, what I would like to find is a 92 or 93 Camry with low miles, or a honda of similar vintage but they are really expensice here in Northern California. I hate it when I get car fever, it lasts until I'm either exhausted or I have found a new car. My 99 passat(21,300 miles) is my main ride, but i'm looking for a car to nap in when I take lunch and breaks at work,

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
keithhr,

I drove a 1986 Acura Legend coupe from 1987 to 1993 and it's as trouble free as they come.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update, I purchased a 1993 Subaru Impreza this afternoon, and am picking it up after this post. It has 117,000 miles but seems very tight and very clean. So, for $2800 I'm hoping I'll have a work car for the next 9 or 10 years, at 4000 miles per year. Consumer reports rates these as excellent, (or at least the reporting consumers do) It is an awd car and everything works, anyone have experiences with Subarus? Most of what I've heard has been good.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I believe you made a good choice. My first car in high school was a Subaru GL10, 2wd, 73 model. I abused that car in every possible way and couldn't break it.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a 45 minute drive with my wife and the guy couldn't find the car keys, so chapter two will be Tuesday evening. He was pretty embarassed to say the least.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought the Subaru Impreza and Uh oH !!!!!!

just bought what appeared to be a very clean , nice running 93 Wagon and on the way home it drove fine 25 miles. On the way to get some keys made, the car seemed to go out of gear briefly with the tac surging to over 4000 rpm's and it did it again with the car feeling like it totally went out of gear for a second or two and then all seemed fine. I was feeling paranoid a bit because the guy that I bought it from seemed a bit odd. I don't know what to make of this because the rest of the time it shifted perfectrly. I checked the auto trans fluid and it appeared to be very clear and transparent, not at all like the pink fluids of most vehiciles. The car definately seemed like it was out of gear with the engine surging. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Anyone have any experiences like this or are there any know issues with these awd transmissions? thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Tomas

Banned
Re: Bought the Subaru Impreza and Uh oH !!!!!!

May not be related at all, but at one time I had a Jeep Cherokee with an automatic that had one poor connection in a connector associated with the transmission/engine computer, and behaved as you mentioned. It was a ground connection.

Totally different vehicle, etc., but ...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Subaru trannies are a weak point in the AWD drivetrain. I have a WRX that has a tempermental tranny, and there really isn't a fix for it.
I'm like 90% positive that an Auto tranny in your car uses standard "red" tranny fluid (the only auto I know of that doesn't use the pink stuff or a variation of, are Honda autos). Clear fluid tells me that the loony who owned it previously may have put gear or motor oil in the tranny, and when you drive, the oil isn't expanding properly (like the red stuff is supposed to do). This is all a big "IF" because I'm not sure what type of fluid your tranny needs.

Also, it could be normal, and the sensation you're feeling is the tranny downshifting?

I'll ask my Brother, he owns an auto-repair shop in the Bay Area...

--dan

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I checked the tranny fluid again, and it was red although very faint. Thursday I'm having the tranny fluid and engine oil changed and see what happens then. The tranny fluid may have been so old that it isn't performing properly.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Get the tranny filter changed at the same time. A lot of places want to suck your sytem dry and install new fluid without changing the tranny filter. It's quick and easy for them and has a low labor cost but if you have a dirty of clogged filter...