Anyone Loving the Jetbeam RRT-0?

Gaffle

Enlightened
Been looking at a lot of lights lately. Nothing has really "popped". Then I check out this Jetbeam RRT-0 (I know its not a brand new light, I've been gone from CPF for awhile). The Quarks and Nitecores just are not doing anything for me. I find that the RRT-0 just seems to really stand out of the crowd. I just really want to know if anyone is really loving this light?

I dig dig dig the ability to use 123s and AA. That is mega convenient and versatile. I love the UI. All of the lights that are programable just don't do anything for me. I need a simple High or Max, a real Medium (half brightness), and a Low (Low Low is real nice to, and the RRT-0 gots it). I also really dig the forward clicky. How genius is it to have a light with a forward clicky and a fancy control ring for the modes? You mean I don't have to click the light on and off 50 times and then do a backflip to get into the special functions?

My real questions are as follows, how waterproof is this thing, or how waterproof does everyone think this light is? I know it is IPX-8 standard, but when I see that rotating ring I just think about a spot for water to get in.

Is it tough enough? The only Jetbeam light I have owned was a C-LE. It was a good light until the UI went funky, a drop messed up the circuits. I don't want to drop this thing and then just totally screw up the UI.

How durable is the control ring? Will it last? Anyone know how the ring actually functions? I really hate spending money on stuff that doesn't last. I like the idea of the control ring but if it is the weakest link in a great light then I may have to move on.

Lastly, and I think I got this answered via a youtube vid, does the light remember the last setting? I thought that it did, and that would be so awesome. When my C-LE was working I would set the light to the lowest setting so I could use it in the house in the middle of the night and never worry about waking/blinding anyone. The memory setting on the C-LE was just a fantastic edition to a simple UI.

Track Terror

Newly Enlightened
I think it's a very compelling light and if i didn't have something very close to that I would definitely buy it. I'm kinda surprised it's not talked about more and would also like to hear from some owners.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been looking at a lot of lights lately. Nothing has really "popped". Then I check out this Jetbeam RRT-0 (I know its not a brand new light, I've been gone from CPF for awhile). The Quarks and Nitecores just are not doing anything for me. I find that the RRT-0 just seems to really stand out of the crowd. I just really want to know if anyone is really loving this light?

I dig dig dig the ability to use 123s and AA. That is mega convenient and versatile. I love the UI. All of the lights that are programable just don't do anything for me. I need a simple High or Max, a real Medium (half brightness), and a Low (Low Low is real nice to, and the RRT-0 gots it). I also really dig the forward clicky. How genius is it to have a light with a forward clicky and a fancy control ring for the modes? You mean I don't have to click the light on and off 50 times and then do a backflip to get into the special functions?

My real questions are as follows, how waterproof is this thing, or how waterproof does everyone think this light is? I know it is IPX-8 standard, but when I see that rotating ring I just think about a spot for water to get in.

How durable is the control ring? Will it last? Anyone know how the ring actually functions? I really hate spending money on stuff that doesn't last. I like the idea of the control ring but if it is the weakest link in a great light then I may have to move on.

I can answer your IPX-8 question. Every opening shall have an O-ring sealing water out. And the control ring is just a collar with magnets. The electronics are snug and safe! Just don't do any serious diving and you'll have few or no problems. Rain and puddles aren't an issue. I haven't heard many issues with it lasting.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I think it's a very compelling light and if i didn't have something very close to that I would definitely buy it. I'm kinda surprised it's not talked about more and would also like to hear from some owners.

Thats why I popped up this thread. When I went searching CPF for the RRT-0 I didn't find a ton of stuff. You look up Quark or Nitecore and BOOM, a lot of info. There is so much badass stuff happening with this light that I am also surprised that it isn't talked about more. I mean the RRT-0 is coming up on being around for 1 year, but most of the competition is still doing the same stuff. This light seems way cool.

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
I've got my eye on it too. From what I've read, it's maybe a little large for what it is (especially in AA mode), but you get quite the well-built light. I'm hoping it's closer to bomb-proof than other pocketables I've tried.

There's an updated RRT-0 that switches from XR-E R2 to XP-G R5. Heads-up, apparently the corresponding new reflector with the R5 may yield a beam profile with a dead spot. I forget the details - there's another thread around here somewhere.
Edit: see this thread. Apparently, it may be possible to adjust the reflector to kill any dead spots.

Any owner impressions?

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Here are a couple threads if you haven't already seen them.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248375

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/249500

BTW, I do LOVE my RRT-0! :twothumbs

Yeah I read both of these threads (er maybe some of them). I didn't realize how long Bondr's thread was. A lot of my questions popped up there.

I guess I am just interested in how the light is running now that it has been around for almost a year. I gather that the current RRT-0 is version 2?

LiveForNight

Newly Enlightened
photo.jpg

I love mine. I was just admiring it while viewing this thread. I've used it at work every day for almost a year and have never had a problem with it.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-0 is a great EDC that is easy to use, and very versatile in the different batteries, and brightness levels.
I have dropped mine on concrete several times from 3-5 ft. and never had any problems.
It's perfect for seeing far away, up close for reading, and everything in between.

hotlight

Enlightened
had the light for a couple of months(R2)

my only concern was:the ring isn't "field servicable" in case you get debris in between ring and body( drop in sand or mud)... besides that, a decent light if u like the control ring

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I love my RRT-0. I wouldn't think of selling it. It is one of my favorite in my EDC rotation... Right below my HDS lights.

Feels great in the hand, bright, and the control ring rocks.

EDIT: Also mine is the first generation one and still going strong

Last edited:

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
I just received mine last week, and am still on my first battery. So far, however, I am very pleased with the output, operation, and especially the build quality. It is virtually identical in size to my Nitecore Infilux, which I have mixed feelings about. I've been carrying it every day since I've received it and have nothing but postive things to say about it, other than I wish the brightness settings were spread out further.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Mine is the XP-G R5 version and I love it. No problems and it rocks!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one of the best single cell EDC pocket light's I own, I think it's best if you use it as a cr123 light because with the AA extender tube it's as long as many 2xcr123 light's.

I prefer the XR-E model because of the throw and the better tint.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Yeah this light looks like its a "must have" IMO. I used to look at reviews (ahem, thanks Selfbuilt) and I would base the "best light" due to brightness + runtime. I would study these reviews like I was getting payed to do it. Now you look at these current crop of lights and there are so many similarities. The companies that are keeping up are all changing out circuits, emitters, switches, and different types of UI. I look at graphs that Selfbuilt has and so many lights are just at the top, or pretty damn close. The slight difference that one light has in brightness when everything is so close would probably be almost unnoticeable to my eye.

Even regulation is a easy topic these days. I remember when Jetbeam came back into the market they made a light that just drained a battery in Mediium. That was funky, but they got their act together. Once in awhile a company produces some funky circuits that are not efficient, but that doesn't seem to happen too many times these days.

Now add up that the RRT-0 has good regulation and the fact that it is pretty bright, home run. Then add forward clicky and control ring. Super awesome features that completely stand out. I cannot remember that last light I have seen with a control ring, besides the Surefire U2 (which was also awesome).

The only factor I did not think about was debris getting into the ring like Hotlight has said. Not a good idea to get a lot of crap in that ring.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think youve sold yourself on one, give into your urges! :devil:
I had a R2 version, i really liked it alot, but was willing to part with it, cause i want the neutral tint Q3 version, and the spill has a ring.:shakehead I laid out a few lights for a friend to choose as a gift, and he chose the RRT-0. he liked the design, control ring, and able to use AA with extension. it was also brightest in the line-up which included a D10, zebralight sc50w, and quark AA2T neutral xpg.

im sorry to say, but the forward clicky on mine is probably the worst forward clicky ive ever used. its tactical feel is horrible. not very sensitive, the swtich has to travel alot for momentary, almost to the point of it clicking on. but i was able to overlook it, and really enjoyed the light.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
I love the UI. All of the lights that are programable just don't do anything for me. I need a simple High or Max, a real Medium (half brightness), and a Low (Low Low is real nice to, and the RRT-0 gots it). I also really dig the forward clicky. How genius is it to have a light with a forward clicky and a fancy control ring for the modes? You mean I don't have to click the light on and off 50 times and then do a backflip to get into the special functions?

And that is one of the main reasons I love mine. Click to turn on and off. Turn ring to choose level of brightness. Simple.

I hate the whole multiple click click, twist twist twist crap... Although my Fenix PD30 is pretty bloody simple, and is also in my regular EDC rotation.

One thing I'm not so confident about is the long term reliability of Jetbeam lights. Seems to have been quite a few complaints about them, and their warranty procedures.

and here's nice picture with 3 of the Raptor family (RRT-0, RRT-2, RRT-3) :D

torches1.jpg