Tk11 mounted on a gun

Advil

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I mounted my Tk11R2 on an AR with a quality mount and it's been working great. But under a full day of shooting, the mount and light get pretty hot. I was wondering if this light is made to stand up to this kind of abuse. The constant recoil of the weapon and the heat from the quad rails. It's not unbelievable searing heat, but it gets pretty damn warm.

It's running AW 18650s and mounted with a Daniel Defense offset light mount.

What do you think?

looman

Enlightened
Do you mean it is getting hot due to the heat from the barrel or because you have it on constantly and the torch is self heating or a bit of both?

If you're saying it gets hot from barrel heat alone, then take the torch off the barrel in daylight when you're likely to be sending a lot of rounds down to avoid excessive heat affecting the light.

Typical gun mounted lights are not left on constant for extednded periods as a general rule?

Recoil is one issue but heat could be an additional stress that the light will not appreciate over time

unsuperman

Newly Enlightened
generally the people on my forum have not had ANY issues with leaving the fenix attached to the weapon. if you put fenix on par or even better quality wise then a stream light, you'll be fine. as a member just punched 2000ish (if i remember correctly) rounds down range from his rifle in 3 days during a class, with a streamlight sitting next to the flash hider. it burned off all the streamlights finish, and the light still functions 100%.

your fenix should be fine

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
You need a rail forearm or a rail which will mount on regular forearm. Add vertical foregrip. Place flashlight in offset mount. I use the one with the spring loaded bar that unlocks the mount from the rail and slides off the end. You can then still grip the flashlight in one hand and use as a regular flashlight. I use an Ohlight holster and cut a notch away inside one of the battery carriers so I can slide the flashlight into the holster and leave the mount on. IF the light is a little loose in the mount do what I did and use flextape to wrap around flashlight. It really imobilized it in the mount as well. I also had to trim one end of the mount to clear the bezel on my M20 and still fit inside the cigar grip ring.