pipeline breaks in Az , $2.44 a gallon in SF

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electrical outage in the East, gas goes up in California where all the refineries are. Small gas pipeline breaks in Arizona, gas goes up to $2.44 a gallon for premium gas in San Francisco, regular is going for $2.20. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore,(or was that from the movie?) Our elected representatives do nothing to protect the public from price gouging and price fixing, or am I missing something, the only option,unfortunately is against the law. What does gas now cost where you Live?

Screehopper

Enlightened
A 76 station in Phoenix had gas at $2.99/gal for 91 octane. Fortunately I was in Flagstaff (for a business trip) which was not affected as much by the pipeline burst.

In any case, I still want a diesel truck/suv for cheaper fuel prices, better mileage, and of course torque @ low RPMs.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
$1.56.9 here yesterday. Two weeks ago it was $1.39.9

Got an email from someone in Phoenix a couple of days ago, and while she found "regular" unleaded for $2.25 a gallon, she had to wait in line for three hours to get it. She said a lot of stations were charging five bucks a gallon, and a lot of stations were not even open.

As I understand it, the EPA requires a special blend for Phoenix which is sold ONLY there, There supposedly are only two refineries that produce that specific blend and when the pipeline broke, it took out the main source, and alternative suppliers can't sell there because they don't make that special blend.

I'm sure glad I finally escaped from that hellhole.

iddibhai

Enlightened
two days ago, it was 2/gal for 87 in inland empire, so. california.. tomorrow will see the prices on the way to school.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up another dime here today: $1.66.9 for "regular" unleaded. I KNEW I should have filled up the Samurai yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never, in all my life , seen so many lame reasons for the price gouging. If a pipeline broke, temporarily in AZ, why should gas go up in California, I don't get it. I stand corrected, I do get it, more price fixing. When a group of business owners collectively raise all of their prices, it's called price fixing. Once upon a time, I remember competition and events called GAS WARS!

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
I have never, in all my life , seen so many lame reasons for the price gouging. If a pipeline broke, temporarily in AZ, why should gas go up in California, I don't get it. I stand corrected, I do get it, more price fixing. When a group of business owners collectively raise all of their prices, it's called price fixing. Once upon a time, I remember competition and events called GAS WARS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the movie "Aladdin" where the bad guy quotes the "Golden Rule"... "Whoever has the GOLD, makes the RULES."

Sad, but unlikely to change before the

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
the only option,unfortunately is against the law. What does gas now cost where you Live?

[/ QUOTE ]
The only option is NOT illegal - it simply is no longer offered. EVs are not being made for all the wrong reasons, but I can tell you that my EVs attract more interest when things things like this happen. Gas is $2.30 for regular where I live now - fortunately I haven't had to buy any of it for three weeks.

Anybody else find EVs more attractive now? My fuel is currently costing me $0.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hybrids like the Toyota Prius are also very good. We are currently averaging over 50 MPG in our Prius! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
$2.59 this morning for 91 octane (my car requires a minimum of 91 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif) Two weeks ago when I last filled up it was $2.15.

Azreal911

Enlightened
wow you guys have cheap gas! up here in ontario canada we are so far paying (after conversions from litres to gallons and us currency exchange) = $2.72403 a gallon for reg gas and it's $2.91 out west for regular gas!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MenaceSQL said:
$1.50/gallon for regular unleaded at the local Wal-Mart here in Georgia.

[/ QUOTE ]GA has always had the lowest price in the southeast. $1.57 in Alabama.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I live an East Bay suburb of SF--lowest here is about $2.09 /gallon.

The reason for the rise is really not that hard to fathom (and I DON'T own any oil stocks). In its infinite wisdom, California has chosen to make itself an "island" as far as gas goes. All the gas sold in California is, and must be, made in California. We have a "special formula" that no one else wants or makes. No new refineries have or are being built here--and many people would vote to to have the ones that are here go away, if they could. Gas consumption continues to increase due to population growth and the popularity of less fuel effecient cars. There has been some gas supply increase due to efficiency gains at the current refineries, but this has barely been enough to keep up with demand.

So, here we are at the peak demand time (summer) and there is a hiccup in Arizona. There is a pipeline between Southern California and Arizona and the owners of the gas decide that the price is now better in Arizonia (which it is, prices there are higher than SF). Free Country, they ship their gas to Arizonia, which is happy to have it. In California the supply goes down (just a little, actually) while demand remains constant. Guess what happens? Price goes up, up, up until demand goes down. I would wager that less gas is being sold in state today than 30 days ago, although the dollar volume is probably up nicely.

So, who would like to have a refinery or two in their backyards (has to be near the coast to get that imported oil, too) to help us solve this problem?? Anyway, isn't it in the Constitution somewhere that we have a god-given right to cheap gas?