Burgled! Flashlight replacement?

entoptics

Enlightened
Burgled in Boise. Visiting a nice suburban neighborhood, parked on the street overnight, lost my car stereo, iPod Touch, Steiner binos, and...

...My EagleTac T20C2 (1st gen, warm, SMO,)...:mecry: See second post below for a description and link to a picture. Maybe a CPFer will see it in a pawnshop and help bust these douche bags.

Anyway, we'll get to that in a minute. Skip down past the story if you are only interested in giving flashlight advice.

Pretty likely it was professionals, no car damage during break in, stereo was removed cleanly, and they hit several other houses in the neighborhood.

On the bright side, the total theft was only about $600. On the down side, my deductable is $500, so I'm likely to only get enough reimbursement for buying one flashlight.

Back to the bright side. 1) Because I built a platform bed in the rear of my Explorer, and everything was packed under it, they didn't notice my gun bag. 2) They also ignored or didn't see a GPS that was stuck to the window next to the steering wheel. 3) My family was awesome, and my dad bought me a new stereo the next day, and my sister gave me her identical iPod Touch (she has an iPhone now and wasn't using it). 4) The binoculars were a recent gift, and I have another pair of similar size/weight, so other than losing my beloved T20C2, I came out relatively unscathed. 5) I get to buy a flashlight.

Lastly, I also had grabbed my laptop out of the truck around 11PM (to check in on CPF) so it escaped. lovecpf

So...On to the flashlight conundrum...

I want to replace the old model T20C2 with something. A T20C2 MKII is obviously an outstanding choice, but I want to explore my options. I absolutely LOVED the T20C2 and it's crazy friggin throw, and I accepted the bullseye beam pattern because of it. The size, weight, and runtime were outstanding, and it was an all around badass light, but there are better lights out now.

On the other hand, I already have a D10 Tribute, which has so far been more than enough light for 90% of my outdoor needs, and enough to suffice for the other 10%. The EagleTac was a bit of a fun luxury and robust glove box backup light most of the time. Also, I now only have 1 mediocre 18650 cell and an UltraFire charger and I loves me sum eneloop.

What other options would give me a new category of light, beyond a D10 and a MagCharger, for $100 or less (useful, not a coffee table piece). I just got robbed. I'm willing to spend $100 if I get an insurance check. If I don't, I may be left with nothing, so please keep budget in mind.

Suggestions for something really small or really throwy and smallish or big and powerfull, etc for under $100?

The only one that comes to mind quickly is an iTP Polestar A6. I've handled my dad's quite a bit, and think I'd be happy to own one.

Anyway, pretend you are laying your own C-bill on a counter for a fellow CPFer who needs a new light to cheer him up, but isn't a collector. Has to be something I'll use (though I'm not sure how yet).
:party:

PS I'll probably only consider 18650, AA, or AAA lights, but the extra option to eat CR123, 14500, or 10440 is a nice bonus.

entoptics

Enlightened
Stolen T20C2 Description.

I know it's a long shot, but considering the "flashahaulic" nature of the light, maybe a CPFer will see it in a pawn shop somewhere.

EagleTac T20C2, 1st Gen, warm tint, smooth reflector, optional tail standing tail cap, glow in the dark rubber boot.

Defining characteristics
  • Anodizing is chipped/worn on tailcap and the rim is slightly bent
  • Battery is a Tenergy 18650 protected cell with the number 2 written in sharpy. Buttonless cell with solder blob button mod
  • GITD tail button, GITD tape around tail cap

As I said, it's a 1 in a billion chance that it will be seen, but who knows.

Last edited:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
I wasn't overly impressed with the Polestar review, namely it's cheaper contact points and overall build quality.

Might I suggest a Fenix TK11 or TK12 depending on need? I mean DAMN when it comes to build quality on a budget minded point of view. If you need 300 meters, it ain't your thing, but a GREAT balance of flood and throw (on the TK12 at least with the R5) and usable light to an easy 500' and beyond, I really like the choice personally. My new TK12 replaced my tried and true Inova T2 in my truck. Just a solid and fantastic light.

Sorry about the loss. It really disturbs me the theft in this world. I despise it. :mad:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you liked you T20C2 because of the throw, you will hate the T20C2 MKII. They did not design the reflector properly for the XPG emitter so there is not much throw and a big donut hole in the beam if you don't get the OP textured reflector. Good news though - EagleTac started selling a drop-in with the old emitter so you can have the same light you loved but it will cost you the light + $20 more for the dropin.

Another option is the 4sevens Maelstrom G5. Much brighter and better throw in a package that is only very slightly larger than your T20C2. If you get it from one of the dealers that offers a good discount to CPF members, it can be had for $105. They just updated the UI so make sure you are getting the new version.

Sorry for your loss - what a bunch of #@$%#. At least they did not get any guns - phew!

entoptics

Enlightened
I wasn't overly impressed with the Polestar review, namely it's cheaper contact points and overall build quality.

Might I suggest a Fenix TK11 or TK12 depending on need? I mean DAMN when it comes to build quality on a budget minded point of view.

To clarify a bit more, this thread is really more about the possibility of a different light class altogether. If I end up going for an 18650 "tactical" option, the T20C2 MKII seems to me as the best choice in terms of price/performance and I'd likely choose it over the TK11 or TK12. It's a bit brighter and has a slightly more versatile UI. It's also potentially upgradeable with the drop in assemblies.

As for the Polestar, my dad's is a pretty robust package. Obviously it isn't a true tank, but it seemed sturdy enough for general duty. Considering my $100 budget, I doubt I'll be able to get anything tougher in that brightness range.

If you liked you T20C2 because of the throw, you will hate the T20C2 MKII.

Another option is the 4sevens Maelstrom G5...it can be had for $105. They just updated the UI so make sure you are getting the new version.

I did enjoy the throw on my T20, but it wasn't as useful as it seemed because of the big black ring directly outside the hotspot. Based on my usage of a P20A2 MKII, I suspect I'd actually prefer to loose a little bit of throw for a smooth beam.

The Maelstrom looks really good in terms of both beam quality and throw, but I'd be bummed if I had to lose tail standing. Also, since the going price is $150, I'm not sure what CPF discount would get me down to $105. The best I can find is closer to $135 which is way over budget, which leads me back to the $90 T20C2 MKII.

Any ideas for a totally different class of light? Here's some things that I might be interested in.

• A small (2xAA or smaller) light that's really throwy, but without beam artifacts, perhaps a TIR type thing?
  • A larger, very bright light (Polestar or similar)
  • Fenix LD40 or similar
  • Headlamp - Very bright (~150 lm), current regulated, multimode (low of ~5 lm), small, floody

As mentioned above, I really like the idea of simplifying to AA format lights, so AA/14500 options will get extra points.

smfranke

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

To answer your question...how about a Solarforce L2R? 2xAA with a 3 mode drop-in? You can get that setup for about $27 (or less if you shop around). If you don't think it's suitable you'll always have $$ left over for another light.

On a different note: Keep an eye on the forums for new members in the Boisie area :)

Imon

Enlightened
ACK!
You had your Steiner Binos stolen?! I'd be madder about that than the flashlight. The thing that makes it even worse is that the punk who stole it from you probably won't appreciate your gear like you did then it'll be sold to some pawn shop, like you said, for a criminally low price.

Anyways, this may seem like a weird recommendation but I've got to say when you talked about the bulls-eye pattern that reminded me of my Olight T20. A fairly good thrower, and a good size too.

Toaster

Enlightened
If this is going to be a glovebox light I'd opt for the LD40 over the A6. The neutral emitter, smaller form factor, long runtime, hidden emergency blinky modes, and most likely excellent performance even on crappy alkalines would make it a great backup/emergency light.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendation: Fenix TK20

Why I like it:
- good weight
- 2xAA (mmm Eneloops)
- tail-stands if needed, still easy to click with gloves on
- forward clicky (momentary)
- I love love LOVE the rubber handle (pref. yellow over grey)
- decent runtime on high
- built like an absolute tank, I've no doubt that it'd take more abuse than any other light I own (even my SF's)
- neutral LED makes a world of difference outside (I also carry a D10 Tribute and the difference in color rendering is night and day)
- it's cheap (~$55 USD)

but most importantly:
- it throws like nobody's business, I'd rate it second behind my 3D Rebel Mag. Honestly, the throw on this little guy is amazing - lighting up huge swathes of tree line at 150 feet is a good feeling

It's the only light I own two of (and I've bought over half a dozen for friends/family). Amazing little light for the money. It's now discontinued - if you're going to pick one up, get it now and maybe you'll get a sale discount!

Good luck!

red02

Enlightened
To clarify a bit more, this thread is really more about the possibility of a different light class altogether. If I end up going for an 18650 "tactical" option, the T20C2 MKII seems to me as the best choice in terms of price/performance and I'd likely choose it over the TK11 or TK12. It's a bit brighter and has a slightly more versatile UI. It's also potentially upgradeable with the drop in assemblies.

As for the Polestar, my dad's is a pretty robust package. Obviously it isn't a true tank, but it seemed sturdy enough for general duty. Considering my $100 budget, I doubt I'll be able to get anything tougher in that brightness range.

I did enjoy the throw on my T20, but it wasn't as useful as it seemed because of the big black ring directly outside the hotspot. Based on my usage of a P20A2 MKII, I suspect I'd actually prefer to loose a little bit of throw for a smooth beam.

The Maelstrom looks really good in terms of both beam quality and throw, but I'd be bummed if I had to lose tail standing. Also, since the going price is $150, I'm not sure what CPF discount would get me down to $105. The best I can find is closer to $135 which is way over budget, which leads me back to the $90 T20C2 MKII.

Any ideas for a totally different class of light? Here's some things that I might be interested in.

• A small (2xAA or smaller) light that's really throwy, but without beam artifacts, perhaps a TIR type thing?
  • A larger, very bright light (Polestar or similar)
  • Fenix LD40 or similar
  • Headlamp - Very bright (~150 lm), current regulated, multimode (low of ~5 lm), small, floody

As mentioned above, I really like the idea of simplifying to AA format lights, so AA/14500 options will get extra points.

Sorry to hear about your stuff.

My recommendation is the Javelin which is an amazing thrower for its size-money. It also has the target spot beam (which I really like). If you really want an XPG you can get both modules and switch out.

fyrstormer

Banned
Not too likely it was professionals, actually. Professionals wouldn't hit the same neighborhood twice in quick succession, and aftermarket stereos are not nearly as valuable as GPSes and other whiz-bang electronics nowadays. Not that this helps you any, but if they weren't professionals then they probably didn't think to wear gloves and hair nets, so maybe there's some fingerprints that could be recovered.

Does your car have an alarm? Does it sound the alarm if you lock it using the remote control and then unlock it with the valet key? If that doesn't sound the alarm, then anyone with a flat piece of metal and an old car to practice on could've Slim-Jim'ed the door and gotten in, no "professionalism" necessary.

Oh right, about the flashlight...what about a Jetbeam RRT-1? A light that can run on alkalines might seem like a good idea, but alkalines always leak eventually, whereas lithium CR123s won't leak and they'll hold their charge for decades.

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
My recommendation: Fenix TK20
Good luck!

Probably the smartest choice, but CPF has me all hot and bothered over lumens, UI, and efficiency. TK20 is just too darn big for the performance. The legendary durability is tempting, but I have to have a little "wow" factor. Damn you CPF!

Not too likely it was professionals, actually. Professionals wouldn't hit the same neighborhood twice in quick succession, and aftermarket stereos are not nearly as valuable as GPSes and other whiz-bang electronics nowadays...anyone with a flat piece of metal and an old car to practice on could've Slim-Jim'ed the door and gotten in, no "professionalism" necessary.

...what about a Jetbeam RRT-1? A light that can run on alkalines might seem like a good idea, but alkalines always leak eventually, whereas lithium CR123s won't leak and they'll hold their charge for decades.

I will not be using alkalines or Li primaries, except in "emergency scavenge" situations. Quality NiMH and Li-ion only.

Will a CPF discount get the RRT-1 into my budget range? Seems like it would be over $100? I'm also not sure if it will fit the "small" category and with only 240 lm, it doesn't sound all that bright. With that head though, it probably has epic throw.

As for "professional" burglars, I consider anyone who can stealthily and cleanly remove multiple items from multiple vehicles in a well lit suburban neighborhood, and not be discovered until 10AM the next morning, a professional. Anyway, I'll rephrase and say, "whoever did it had done it before."

My recommendation is the Javelin which is an amazing thrower for its size-money. It also has the target spot beam (which I really like). If you really want an XPG you can get both modules and switch out.

Any good advice on the Dereelight stuff? Just checked them out again, and they have some intriguing items, but there's a paucity of information on them around CPF. Their web presence isn't that good either. Quite a few mentioned here and there around CPF, but it doesn't seem like they have a dedicated following like Quark, Fenix, EagleTac, SureFire, Romisen, etc.

The Javelin looks pretty slick, and appears to have some good lego options.

ACK!
You had your Steiner Binos stolen?! I'd be madder about that than the flashlight...

Safari 8x22. They were a gift, and bottom end Steiners. I still loved them, but I have a nice set of slightly larger Bushnells that fit the bill enough to make the bino loss not as painful.

Considering how generous my family was, I've come out of this incident with a stolen flashlight and a little bit more mistrust. Could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened

Any good advice on the Dereelight stuff? Just checked them out again, and they have some intriguing items, but there's a paucity of information on them around CPF. Their web presence isn't that good either. Quite a few mentioned here and there around CPF, but it doesn't seem like they have a dedicated following like Quark, Fenix, EagleTac, SureFire, Romisen, etc.

The Javelin looks pretty slick, and appears to have some good lego options. ........
I'm usually very critical of lights but have nothing but good things to say about Deree. Its very difficult to find a fault with any of their lights. I passed up throwier lights than the DBS because of the upgradeable and modularity of all of their lights. The Javelin is probably the still the best AA thrower there is. Did I mention you can use the DBS with AAs?

Check out the Javelin thread here and on CPFMP, if your into AAs you really can't go wrong with it.

They have a following, just not as vocal as the others. Just ask RecDNA.

Get it from Jay @ flashlightconnection, great CS. If you need a 3-stage XRE you'll need to deal with dereelight directly, but they ship fast and are very responsive to emails even when I couldn't figure out why my DBS was acting up (AAs making bad contact fixed by wrapping them to stop rattle).

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are getting lots of good recomendations so I don't want to dwell on a Maelstrom except to tell you that it is much brighter with a much better beam than the T20C2 MKII. Yes, the G5 can be had for $105. Unfortunately, this is not the proper forum to recommend specific dealers but if you send me a PM I would be happy to tell you where I purchased mine for that price.

Chicago X

Enlightened
Sorry about the loss. It really disturbs me the theft in this world. I despise it. :mad:

I'm right there with you. It takes an especially low individual to take a man's hard-earned stuff. :shakehead I've had enough stuff pilfered over the years that I hold a special dislike for thieves of any sort.

I also echo the other poster about the guns - it's a small miracle they didn't get 'em. :thumbsup:

TO THE OP: What kind of batteries/chargers are you already equipped with? That may affect some recommendations.

entoptics

Enlightened
TO THE OP: What kind of batteries/chargers are you already equipped with? That may affect some recommendations.

I have an UltraFire WF139 charger, one 14500 and one 18650 cell. I really prefer AA format, since I have several Eneloops and Rayovac 4.0 cells and 3 chargers. I'm not apposed to 18650 though, and would consider an AA light that takes 14500 a bonus.