I need a fire helmet light!

tundratrader

Enlightened
I just emailed this to Gene but figured I might as well post it here to get increased input.

Hi Gene,

I am an avid user of your products. I always impress at the firehall when your lights blow away everything that we carry.

Here is my issue. I currently run a surefire g2l-fyl with a pyrex lens and M60 in a blackjack mount on my helmet.
http://www.thefirestore.com/catalog/product/Blackjack_Helmet_Mount_Flashlight_Holder-5613-10904/

This has worked great. My only issue is the lithium batteries. I have not had an issue yet but I guess by nature of the world something is bound to happen. It is also right near my face should the batteries vent or explode.

You told me once you created the M60W for police looking for shell casings. I am looking for that same sort of creativity. After using your lights now for years I cannot deal with a 50 lumen crap light.

What I need is a AA alkaline or nihm setup of some sort. That mount in the link is the best out and is bulletproof. If someway it would be possible to make a double stack AA tube and MD2 head I would be in business. I think your M31 would work great.

What do you think? This could be a new arena but it is very needed. Most helmet lights are terrible.

Zach

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, Streamlight has a few lights designed with firefighting in mind - narrow beam to avoid reflection back to the user in smokey conditions. The Survivor is one model. Their lights are usually good values.

FoxFury has higher priced lights of high quality.

oliussw

Newly Enlightened
Won't the M31 run off two AAs? It is made for a single 123 cell (3V) so won't two AA (1.5Vx2) work just as well?

Edit: I just looked at Malkoff's site and he specifically lists the M31 as being good to go off 2 AA NIMH cells.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no input, but thanks for doing what you do. I am not a fan of being on fire.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
With the 1" mount, you'll have to decide between larger outside and smaller inside. 2xAA will run in a G3-FYL, for example, with 3mm of play.

tundratrader

Enlightened
I am not sure if the g3 size will fit. I will try it tonight. Will I need a spacer? I have zero m30 experience will it run on 2 alkalines? What will my runtime be?

tundratrader

Enlightened
So I grabbed a couple of AA Duracell batteries and they are loose by diameter but will fit length wise just fine. Now I just need to wait for the M31's to come in stock. I hope the light will fit on my helmet. I think it will be tight.

I was also surprised that the AA lit my M60 up just fine. Not very bright but it worked just fine. I was guess if you needed to do it you would be ok. You cannot beat a Malkoff.:thumbsup:

photo4h.jpg

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So I grabbed a couple of AA Duracell batteries and they are loose by diameter but will fit length wise just fine.

Its a history of batteries thing. The extinguished A size begat a bunch of different sizes. the 23A in 123A primaries stands for two thirds (2/3 length) of an A. So three of them are total up to 6/3rds or two A's in length. AA's are just a skinner A, so the same length. So 3 equals 2.

18650's started life as 4/3rd of A, the popular size for laptop cells before lithium came along. Half of 4/3 is 2/3, so the same length as a pair of 123A's.

*all of the above info was learned over my 3 years on CPF

Imon

Enlightened
Lol, I was going to recommend the OP use 2x14500 instead but then I remembered he was trying to avoid lithium batteries in the first place. :rolleyes:

tundratrader

Enlightened
So my my M31L should be here tomorrow. I am excited to check it out with alkalines. I am going to carry my G3L-FYL around for a few battery cycles before I try it at the station.

Kinda funny on the timing but the chief just got three of these helmets to try out. The top three responders got one:)

photo5zl.jpg

It is old school LED but nothing to snag and should be bright enough for most things. Runs on AAA batteries so that is good. Doesnt add much weight to the helmet.

I think I will carry my G3L-FYL with M31L as my pocket light while we evaluate these helmets.

I will give a report and some real use runtimes on the M31L as I use it.

Zach